1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Quebec City Armoury burns to the ground.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by acheron, Apr 6, 2008.

1. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OMG it's like Queen St. West all over again.

Well not really.

Fire destroys Quebec City landmark
    The Ottawa Citizen
    Published: Sunday, April 06, 2008

QUEBEC - Members of the country's oldest French-Canadian infantry regiment vowed yesterday to rise from the ashes of the landmark Quebec City armoury overlooking the Plains of Abraham that was destroyed by a massive fire.
    The historic drill hall, built in 1887, was burned to the ground yesterday, with only the brick wall façade and two towers still standing and facing the Quebec National Assembly.
    "Right now, we are down on one knee, but we will get back on our feet," said Brig.-Gen. Christian Barabé, commander of land forces for Quebec.

The building was famous for its suspended wood ceiling, the largest in Canada, but the firefighters said the flames spread rapidly through the ceiling's old wood and across the building.
    "When we got there, a thick smoke was coming out of the roof. As we were getting ready to set up the hoses to fight the fire, the flames set the roof ablaze," said Sylvain Rousseau of the Quebec City fire department.
    Witnesses heard an explosion before the fire broke out, but Mr. Rousseau said the cause of the fire is still unknown. The armoury was undergoing renovations, but no one was inside at the time of the incident.

2. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

i saw this on the news its a real sad story actually. but cest la vie as they say.

3. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

4. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

as a side note, there are some pics of the ruins on flickr but the guy HDRI'ed them up to high hell, thus ruining the potentially nice pics. Waiting for more to go up so I can actually see the resulting damage :(

5. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

i don't like it when old buildings burn.

6. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

shit man. i remember visiting that building and the plains du abraham when i was on a class trip in grade 7.

:(

7. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

quebec city will shine once again when the Voltigeurs march back on their rebuilt parade square, you just wait.

wonderful armoury inside and out. we lost an amazing piece of french-canadian history :(