• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Q: magazine layout design

madnezz

TRIBE Member
I'm looking to learn a bit about layout design so i can be prepared to put together a journal to publish in the fall.

Does anyone know of any good courses out there that teach this sort of thing? I saw a couple at George Brown that look interesting.

My other question is what's the main software used for layout design?

Thanks for any answers!
- L

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I found that learning the software yourself and trying to emulate things you like from magazines can be better than any course. Pick up an issue of Wallpaper or any other design mag and you'll probably find tons of ideas.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
quark is the past industry standard, indesign is the new industry standard.

if it is your own choice which program to use, go with indesign.

kmac

TRIBE Member
I work at at a fairly large B2B publisher (20+ magazines and journals) and we've been using Adobe InDesign. While Flashy's advice makes sense, there are some design principles you should learn, IMO.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
madnezz said:
I'm looking to learn a bit about layout design so i can be prepared to put together a journal to publish in the fall.

Does anyone know of any good courses out there that teach this sort of thing? I saw a couple at George Brown that look interesting.

Thanks for any answers!
- L
There is a book you can get called Magazine Design That Works by King that will give you layout ideas & theory. Mastering Quark or Indesign... that's another story...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I took Quark 1 (and 2 I think...?) at George Brown - it was easy to learn and fun, and not overpriced from what I remember. Do eeet.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
madnezz said:
Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress. Quark was the old skool favourite, but InDesign has moved into the lead recently.

sugar

TRIBE Member
I'll teach you InDesign, Laura! I use it every day at work, and 100% self-taught (but I learned Quark in school, so just translated the principles to the new software).

The cheapest route would be to order the Adobe InDesign Classroom in a Book, as well as a book on good design (perhaps the one Alex suggested). The expensive part is purchasing the software.

madnezz

TRIBE Member
thanks for all the advice so far guys, it's been helpful!!

so here's the next question: Is there any way to get Indesign software without having to pay for it? *L* Is it possible to just get it from someone like any other program?

sugar

TRIBE Member
If you are willing to use an older version of the software (i.e. not the CS edition), it's easy to get a free copy. The new CS edition is harder to get around the registration process.

Sorry if that made no sense. I think I need to go back to bed.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
In my experience at magazines we've used Quark Express/Photshop (Mac).

I currently work for an employer who publishes textbooks and the typography is done in Framemaker.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
madnezz said:

Thanks for any answers!
- L
It's funny how much of the feedback here has been software based, that's the lesser of your concerns IMHO. I would get goin' on the design 101.. texts by Ellen Lupton are a good place to start.

,g

littlejon

TRIBE Member
yeah, i agree with gsnuff.
the software is easy enough to learn if you are not a total fuckwad.
but some design principles and [please!] some typographic basics would be more important for ya.

The Non-Designer's Type Book and The Non-Designer's Design Book, by Robin Williams
Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works, by Erik Spiekermann
Basics Design: Format, by Gavin Ambrose, Paul Harris
A History of Graphic Design, by Philip Meggs
Getting It Printed is an excellent resourse for understanding the print process.

and pretty much anything by steven heller.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
as somebody who works in the print design industry I can't even stress enough you want to learn indeisgn, not quark.

and, if you've got time, are pretty self directed, and are hip to computers in general, I'd suggest you get an indesign book that comes with a cd and learn it that way...it's pretty easy and they give you mock files to build.

if you're looking for design direction however, you'll find none....then I'd suggest one of the colleges....

edit: these guys already said this stuff....:)

alma

TRIBE Member
For print production and some design tips, this site is helpful: Pre-Press Production.com. It is a Quark/Photoshop/Illustrator based site. I don't see anything yet on InDesign.

And for strong type layout principles, I can recommend reading some of Jan Tschichold's books. library link

Finally, the Hyphen Press publishes serious books on type and design: Hyphen Press

Finally finally, I recommend a visit to Swipe, a design store at 477 Richmond W.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Learn about grid design... it gives you a good understanding how to place and organize your copy and images.

I did a search and this goes through the basics of using grids.http://www.tameri.com/dtp/grids.html

Quark is the best program for layout design.

Good Luck

Last edited: