• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

PVD!!!!

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
To everyone who's wondering why most people on this board didn't like Paul van Dyk's set its because they are all into progressive. Since Paul van Dyk is NOT a progressive dj, I don't know what you expected him to spin. ?????

Personally, for a hard and yes epic at times set I thought it was amazing. Deep pounding bass lines and flawless mixing. If you don't like this kind of trance then why'd u go? Maybe System Fridays is better suited for your needs. I guess they can't all sound like Hybrid, ie. weird-sounding breaks

Crowd was great cept a couple of people could have used deodorant - is this against some people's religions or what? Lots of nice looking ladies, friendly too! Revs were expensive but then again when aren't they? Warehouse looks mint - a definate improvement. Line-up sucked outside but it was a Godsend when it started moving faster. Security was nice too.

Now tell me they taped that set!

d

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Le Reveur wrote:
It was obvious PVD to me at the time PVD had his heart into it. The only commercial track he played was Chicane's Saltwater at 5 AM
Haha! I was at TWILO that same weekend. You're forgetting he spun SANDSTORM around the same time.

But otherwise, I totally agree with your assessment. I enjoyed his set much more last Saturday, but probably because he spun for only 3 hours (instead of 7!!) and had to squeeze in more high energy tracks.

------------
AdRiaN

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
SERIOUSLY PEOPLE! Here's the general impression I get from reading these reviews:

1) Too much cheese
2) Too many Ginos

Like LoopeD said ... what were you expecting? One of the reasons I don't frequent BREATHE Fridays is because:

1) Too boring
2) Too many ravers

But that's just my preference, and I can guarantee alot of other clubbers feel the same way. Notice however, that we don't flood review threads complaining about wasting money on events that don't match our preferences.

---------
AdRiaN

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LiQUiD:
PvD has sort of become the joke of the european dance scene. He still has a very large following, but more sophisticated clubbers only make fun of him. His style was pretty good a few years ago (even progressive at times) but now it's just dated and boring... the guy is just stuck in the past.

Yeah, OK

What exactly is a more sophisticated clubber? A progressive snob?

Go back to System and listen to your producers low-quality spinning skills.

????

d

G

Like LoopeD said ... what were you expecting? One of the reasons I don't frequent BREATHE Fridays is because:

1) Too boring
2) Too many ravers

But that's just my preference, and I can guarantee alot of other clubbers feel the same way. Notice however, that we don't flood review threads complaining about wasting money on events that don't match our preferences.

---------
AdRiaN

[/B][/QUOTE]

1)Too boring...what?
2)Too many ravers...where?

Not for anything, but Breathe is groundbreaking, truly...ask anybody who was there if Hybrid, or Lee Burridge, or Steve Lawler, or Oliver Lieb, or Cass, or Slacker
was boring.

TraNceAhoLic

TRIBE Member
YOU PPL MAKE ME SICK

I love BREATHE, I have alot of fun there. never been dissapointed

but why do u ppl keep mentioning it, have you heard of overkill...you are turning me off it

STOP FOR FUKS SAKE THEY WERE ON DIFFERENT NIGHTS

why are u mentioning it in this thread

PVD was not competing against breathe, or playing music that u would hear at breathe....so stop

please its annoying

u are turning me and many others away from that night

talk about breathe when adressing competition, something which PVD or GUV is definately not

since they are on different nights

Later,
Brian

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic:
Really?? I wasn't there on Saturday, but from all the pictures I've seen he kinda looks like a muppet.

Pete
Pete - It's his eyes. The eyes get me everytime I see a guy. And his eyes....my god...Guys + Big eyes=SEX

Yum Yum Yum

hes kinda skinny though...needs to pump up. heh heh

drude

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TraNceAhoLic:
YOU PPL MAKE ME SICK

I love BREATHE, I have alot of fun there. never been dissapointed

but why do u ppl keep mentioning it, have you heard of overkill...you are turning me off it

STOP FOR FUKS SAKE THEY WERE ON DIFFERENT NIGHTS

why are u mentioning it in this thread

PVD was not competing against breathe, or playing music that u would hear at breathe....so stop

please its annoying

u are turning me and many others away from that night

talk about breathe when adressing competition, something which PVD or GUV is definately not

since they are on different nights

Later,
Brian

What the hell's up your ass?

Why are getting so offended? Those people were merely stating that since breath has started they now prefer the music played there over what PVD plays. what's so bad about that?

"u are turning me and many others away from that night"

Good, you're not wanted anyways.

MikeTwisted

TRIBE Member
Sorry to step on your toes Trancaholic...but I absolutely have to repsond to some of these comments...then I'll give my responce to Mr. PVD.

Okay...to the comment that Breathe is too boring and has too many ravers...let me ask you this: how many raves play progressive music (not incl. Lifeforce which says they do but really kind of just jumped on the bandwagon)???
Answer: none.
So what makes you think that ravers are going to congregate at Breathe?
The BPM of the music we play is nothing near the hard house / hard trance / Nu-NRG / happycore stuff that gets played at raves and is generally popular with ravers.
And...of course...if you think that progressive is boring then you're likely used to, or very into, the harder stuff I just mentiond. Which is all well and good but you're likely the same person who would jump all over someone who called PVD cheese so I would caution you to consider musical tastes are only opinions.

Now...on to my review of PVD:
First of all, The Warehouse looked amazing. Second, PVD is an incredible mixer and I spent the entire set on the stage watching him work. Someone posted above that they heard him fuck up a mix but I didn't.
Third, yes...he tends to play alot of trance that relies heavily on lead synths (which is the primary element in what everyone refers to as cheesy trance).
Fourth, did you really expect anything else? The man was wearing a Gatecrasher t-shirt while he played which is a pretty good indicator of the style of trance you're going to hear.
Fifth, he played a lot of new stuff. Someone mentioned above that he didn't play hardly anything new but I saw first hand exactly how many white labels and CD-R's he used and it was quite a lot.
Overall...it was big shiny trance and not what I'm into at all. That's not to say that it wasn't good because you could tell by how many hands were in the air that you were either at The Guvernment complex listening to one of the top DJ/producers in the world or you were on a rollercoaster going about 1200 miles an hour. Speaking of which...he plays fast. Damn...every single track was pitched right up to +8. Crazy Germans.

dora

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LoopeD:
To everyone who's wondering why most people on this board didn't like Paul van Dyk's set its because they are all into progressive. Since Paul van Dyk is NOT a progressive dj, I don't know what you expected him to spin. ?????

d
Hey that's a really good point. electronic/dance music gets lumped together so often that a few people might just go to any show blindly, not making the distinction of "there is a difference between progressive and hard house, and I don't like trance".

At the same time though, this was not promoted as a party, this was PVDs show, would people really shell out money to buy a ticket without being conscious of what kinda music they're getting themselves into? Besides JJGC, I think most people paid to get in.

Or do you think it's like Madonna, you may not like her music (not me, I LOVE her) but you would go to the show just because they're HUGE in fame and notoriety? PVD is right up there with Sasha and Digweed and N.Cook for fame. Discuss.

TraNceAhoLic

TRIBE Member
drude you never mentioned breathe earlier in this thread so my post wasnt directed at you

stop trying to get attention, its extremely childish

I did not like pvd's set, as previously mentioned, I love breathe but when talking about PVD stop saying you hated it because it wasnt breathe

what did you people expect, do you know what progressive actually is, PVD was not there to cater to your tastes....why did u go

I did not like his set because it did not flow, not because it wasnt a regular friday at breathe

I knew it wasnt going to be like that, if I want breathe I go to breathe

what PVD spins is an entire diffferent genre

EL3KTR0=D1M3N5H0N

TRIBE Member
I had a good time that night. It was my 1st time to the warehouse, and I liked the setup and décor there. All the projections and drapes, plus plenty of spaces to rest, including a nice size chillout area. I came late, about 3ish, so I missed a bit of PVD set, but when I came in I was surprised to hear more techno sounding music than trance. That was alright, but I really loved the last hour or so of his set. I was having a such a wikked time then!!! My friend seen him last time at industry, and said he’s improved as a DJ. I think he was pretty good DJ too, but I feel he could have connected to the crowd a little better… Overall though I’m happy with what I heard.
What’s all this about PVD playing too much cheese? I may have missed it by coming late, but I know he played some good tracks, especially at the last hour of his set. Even my ultra-picky-trance-fanatic friend got into his set at the end.
As for the crowd there, the ppl were cool, not as friendly as I’m used to, but no attitude either. And for the gino’s there.. who cares.. I don’t care what people dress like, as long as they don’t have attitude and know how to have a good time.

4/5 for me

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by drude:

What the hell's up your ass?

Why are getting so offended? Those people were merely stating that since breath has started they now prefer the music played there over what PVD plays. what's so bad about that?

"u are turning me and many others away from that night"

Good, you're not wanted anyways.

There's nothing bad about that, until you pay money to go to a hard/epic trance show then come on here and say it sucked. If you like progressive, go to progressive shows. And try broadening your musical taste a little!

d

G

I've got many PVD sets, and none of them have so much uplifting and blazing trance on them. These aren't just hour long sets either I've got a several that are 3+ hours and one that is over 5 hours in length.
In these sets he does play some really uplifting tracks but not one after another like he was doing for most of his set on Saturday. I just didn't like that. As soon as you start getting into it, there's another huge epic breakdown that last for like 2 minutes. It was just to inconsistant.

J_J_G_C

TRIBE Member
I really dislike gross incorrections, especially when they are passed off as judgments:

-looped and adrian don't know what they hell they are talking about. First of all both of you have indicated how you dislike progressive, you think it is boring and too many ravers go to Breathe...HA! lol!

Both of you make me laugh because you guys keep on judging breathe nights as if you are there every single friday. You have openly said that you don't go there much - well guess what? - I have probably missed 4-5 shows all together since they started and I can tell you that: IT IS NOT ALL RAVERS AND THE MUSIC IS REALLY NOT BORING!

From what I gathered the crowd is encompassed of the following: ravers, muscle heads, music lovers, the odd drag queen and couples looking for something new in the clubbing district. Remember Industry?

I guess in comparison to raves in which MAINLY ravers go to, the night is so not well diverse is it?

adrian you have openly stated your liking for the guvernment before, I guess the music that hey play there is so happening/cutting edge that you would rather hear the same guy (mark oliver) and relatively the same talent being brought to Toronto instead of live acts or reknow top dj's of the progressive genre. I would take the guverment any day ofcourse!, it is big is crowded they play very commercial trance for the most part (on regular nights) and the punters there adore Mark Oliver (who is an on and off dj)- well done you!!~Kudos on your discriminating choice of clubbing.

I guess we WILL have to take both of you guys observations on a quality night, since you have been there every single friday to judge and observe the growth of that particular night. Please type away I beg you.

-As for PVD, I guess when people pay up to $40 to see a dj they expect something good. Not mediocre. That is precisely what we got. He is still a grossly overated dj, definetly worth $20 but really!- not $40.

If it comes down to dollars and sense from your perspective, let's all open our bank accounts and choose to give our money to the huge club. Let's give 'em up to $40 at the door to see what we all know is an overated dj. Let's all pay for crowded rooms, let's all pay to hear sped up euro-trance which you can probably hear in the radio for the most part; all of that while being targeted by advertising from a certain brand of cigarettes. That is just great fun isn't?

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
IT IS NOT ALL RAVERS AND THE MUSIC IS REALLY NOT BORING!
Please don't quote me out of context. I never said it was "ALL" ravers, I said "too many" for my preferences. I like to go clubbing with a well-dressed crowd, a more Gino crowd ... that's why I'm at MEOW on Friday nights and not System.

I also said the music was "too boring" for my preferences. I like trancier, and often more commercial music. That's why I'm at MEOW or Guvernment instead of System.

Now ... notice how I'm stating my preferences, and then explaining why I choose different clubs based on these preferences? I'm not belittling BREATHE Fridays. I think it's the best place to be in Toronto for that particular type of music and environment.

Just like FLUID or MONEY is the best place to be for R&B and CLUB 107 or PHOENIX is the best place to be for rock.

You're so quick to start an argument over something that's not even being argued. YOU are the one who goes to clubs/events which do not match your preferences, then complain how much they suck.

I could goto BREATHE every Friday, it wouldn't change anything. You could come to MEOW every Friday, it wouldn't change anything. There's no point in having this discussion.

I won't flood BREATHE threads with complaints about it being too boring, so why does everyone else feel it necessary to flood a PVD thread complaining it was too cheesy?

-------------
AdRiaN

TraNceAhoLic

TRIBE Member
i still dont understand why we are discussing this

as i previously mentioned i love breathe

but at the same time i love Guvernment

Mark Oliver is my favorite dj in toronto and while you knock adrian for judging breathe, you are doing the same about my favorite club

You are all a bunch of hypocrites

You are all turning this scene into some bitchy soap opera, and its getting tiring

if you dont like the music pvd spins stay home or go somewhere else

but dont subject me to hearing you bitch like a twelve year old

fuk its getting annoying

i like alot of different music, I dont jump on whats ground breaking or cool, I love progressive, still love trance, oldskool hardcore

and no matter where i am ill find something to cater to my tastes

I wonder how many of you liked progressive when Sasha was pushing this sound?????????????

J_J_G_C

TRIBE Member
Why do we I flood the thread with PVD being all cheese..because I just heard him and he was pretty cheese in fact.

And I am not starting and argument, I just thought your observations with regards to breath nights were wrong. I don't have anything to do with the night itself but I thought you were wrong by saying that there is too many ravers.

Guess what? - this board is filled with ravers too..afterall it is TRIBE magazine right, bringing coverage of the canadian rave scene forward right?
why is that you post here then?

LoopeD

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by J_J_G_C:
I really dislike gross incorrections, especially when they are passed off as judgments:

-looped and adrian don't know what they hell they are talking about. First of all both of you have indicated how you dislike progressive, you think it is boring and too many ravers go to Breathe...HA! lol!

Both of you make me laugh because you guys keep on judging breathe nights as if you are there every single friday. You have openly said that you don't go there much - well guess what? - I have probably missed 4-5 shows all together since they started and I can tell you that: IT IS NOT ALL RAVERS AND THE MUSIC IS REALLY NOT BORING!

From what I gathered the crowd is encompassed of the following: ravers, muscle heads, music lovers, the odd drag queen and couples looking for something new in the clubbing district. Remember Industry?

I guess in comparison to raves in which MAINLY ravers go to, the night is so not well diverse is it?

adrian you have openly stated your liking for the guvernment before, I guess the music that hey play there is so happening/cutting edge that you would rather hear the same guy (mark oliver) and relatively the same talent being brought to Toronto instead of live acts or reknow top dj's of the progressive genre. I would take the guverment any day ofcourse!, it is big is crowded they play very commercial trance for the most part (on regular nights) and the punters there adore Mark Oliver (who is an on and off dj)- well done you!!~Kudos on your discriminating choice of clubbing.

I guess we WILL have to take both of you guys observations on a quality night, since you have been there every single friday to judge and observe the growth of that particular night. Please type away I beg you.

-As for PVD, I guess when people pay up to $40 to see a dj they expect something good. Not mediocre. That is precisely what we got. He is still a grossly overated dj, definetly worth $20 but really!- not $40.

If it comes down to dollars and sense from your perspective, let's all open our bank accounts and choose to give our money to the huge club. Let's give 'em up to $40 at the door to see what we all know is an overated dj. Let's all pay for crowded rooms, let's all pay to hear sped up euro-trance which you can probably hear in the radio for the most part; all of that while being targeted by advertising from a certain brand of cigarettes. That is just great fun isn't?

There you go again, comparing the two nights, when if you actually knew anything about trance music you would know that its like comparing apples and oranges.

You seem to enjoy the Global Underground series, while I think they all sound EXACTLY the same. Sure the mixing may be flawless, but the songs follow the same formulaic pattern. However, you don't see me entering your Global Underground thread and bashing hell out of what you like to listen to.

I have been to Breathe on three occasions, and I'll admit I had fun. But its not really my cup of tea to listen to techno-sounding progressive. However I did NOT come on here and pollute the I LOVED OLIVER LIEB LAST NIGHT thread saying how shit I thought it was, cause I make the best out of everywhere I am instead of picking apart the music.

Just becasue I enjoy listening to a skilled European DJ drop some hard beats and you would prefer to listen to a tired HMV CD series doesn't make either of us wrong. Just different. And by the way I paid 20 dollars in advance to see Paul van Dyk - if you paid 40 bucks to see a DJ that doesn't even spin your preferred style of music then you my friend should not be complaining that it wasn't to your taste. Maybe you should have stayed in that night.....

Long and short: if Paul spun an all-progressive set then obviously this board would have been happy, but the people who paid to see him spin what he's known and loved for, like myself, would have been disappointed as hell.

d

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN:

why does everyone else feel it necessary to flood a PVD thread complaining it was too cheesy?
-------------
AdRiaN

This is a review post. People can say what ever they want about the event they attended, after all - that's what a review is all about.
I will admit, I like PVD. I like the CDs i have of his, i enjoy the mp3s of essential mix sets of his, he's a great producer. The fact is he disappointed me on Sat.
His set WAS inconsistent. Seemed to be all over the place and did not flow. I was sober and I paid close attention. The last 1/2 hr. of his set was good - the rest of it just didn't do it for me.

Breathe nights aside, i just wasn't happy with PVD.

lisa

TraNceAhoLic

TRIBE Member
I agree it wasnt that it was chessy

seriously it was that it was all over the place, i have NO idea what he did with the riddle, we are alive and sparc

it seemed they all dissapeared somewhere in the middle of the record lol

there was absolutley no flow, I love variety, but you have to blend all the genres in, like Mark does,all PVD did was cut and paste

I would hear this epic song then all of a sudden this screeching hard house and then more epic and more progressive

it was very interesting to say the least, he also kept fading the sound in and out every 5 minutes and that got annoying

but the people liked it and would scream whenerver there was a build, which is ok I guess i just would have prefered more substance

I was expected to be taken on a journey, one that i would remember, Instead I felt like i was listening to a Ministry of Sound Compilation

which is fine, but i expected a little more from the guy who makes gatecrasher weep

they must be REALLY sorted lol

All in all it was average, cool to see him, but not memorable

G

This is my first post - I was at the PVD show, and I wanted to throw in my thoughts.

I was happy with Paul's set overall. True, there was a section in the middle that I've forced out of memory, but the beginning and end were just what I was waiting for. My compatriots in the night were less than enthused, but I didn't expect his set to appeal to everyone. I just went off, more or less on my own and didn't stop for like 5 hours.

I saw PVD at a very cool venue this past July in an open-air converted military base 100 km outside Berlin. I've never had an experience like that one, and I was hoping his set would be along the same caliber on saturday. It didn't even come close, but I think a lot had to do with atmosphere and his reputation. I think he really puts a lot more effort into the *important* shows. I know that sounds like a knock on Toronto, but really, his show at the Warehouse might have been his most low-key on this tour. Just trust me when I say that he is capable of some crazy stuff, which I wouldn't pass at calling mindblowing. That crazy vibe was only there for about 25% of his TO show.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say about that show.

If you're interested in seeing some photos of PVD at that outdoor rave, here's the link:

http://www.sommersafari.de

Click review, then right arrow and then Sommer Safari 2.

4th picture from bottom, you can see me in a black shirt, bottom right, arm in the air, beside my friend Kirsten. That was heaven.

Photo of PVD 6 from bottom.

I also went to SSIII, with Westbam, are there any fans on this list? I actually heard Paul break out Westbam's My name is Techno mix in Toronto, but it never really exploded the way I've heard it at the clubs in Germany.

It's been cool reading all the posts...this forum is sweet.

~JTP

Lexicon

TRIBE Member
Excellent pics, Tearer!!!!

And what a website!

I could hardly make out any of the words though...

Lexicon