• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Putting a Password on a Wireless Router?

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
So I've gotten sick of my neighbours stealing my wireless internet access and making my download speeds horrendous. How do i go about encrypting my wireless network with a password? I'm with Rogers.

Doran

TRIBE Member
most routers have a www accessable control panel.. check your manual and get WEP WPA password protection going.. last thing I'd want is my network available to anyone that's not me.. packet sniffing easy enough even for the biggest ludite these days

db

TRIBE Member
What make/model of router?

From the factory for most Linksys:
1. Surf to 192.168.1.1.
2. admin is user, password is "admin".

From the factory for most D-Link:
1. Surf to 192.168.0.1
2. admin is user, password is blank.

Once into the management screens browse around until you find where you can set the WEP or WPA key. Once set you'll have to provide the key when you computer connects to your router.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Yeah usually it's under your security settings or something. Have you tried searching online for the manual for your router model?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
Sort of related question,

Would someone be able to use the wireless feature on my router if I were to not have it enabled?

For example, I use internet through the ethernet and do not enable my wireless, therefore no one can steal the signal.

Then I turn my wireless feature on and now someone can just use my wireless router.

Does it work like that?

Actually an easier question is, can someone enable my wireless signal on my router if it is disabled?

Last edited:

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
if they were able to pick up your signal, then type in the router IP (as posted above) and you had left it on a default sign in (password admin) then theoretically I guess they could change your settings. But it would be nothing for you to reset the router and change the passwords from the default - which you should do anyway.

Temper Tantrum

TRIBE Member
i googled it and got the same website myself but there's no link to download the manual when you try and click nothing happens

boo to the urns.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Doran

TRIBE Member
try the link in IE.. looks like the site uses .asp - and i got it to d/l fine after failing with firefox

ducke

TRIBE Member
db said:
What make/model of router?

From the factory for most Linksys:
1. Surf to 192.168.1.1.
2. admin is user, password is "admin".

From the factory for most D-Link:
1. Surf to 192.168.0.1
2. admin is user, password is blank.

Once into the management screens browse around until you find where you can set the WEP or WPA key. Once set you'll have to provide the key when you computer connects to your router.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I were to set up the security on my router would it stop me from getting
- YOUR IP ADDRESS HAS BEEN OBTAINED AT ANOTHER ADDRESS -
Would that mean someone is using my router ?

Thanks For Your Help
Have A Good Wknd

Doran

TRIBE Member
most router login/setup configuration has the option to show you what/how many devices are connected, and what the IP is.. worth checkin..

ducke

TRIBE Member
IJNTERESTING :rolleyes:
I know we have seen a name on the wireless list before
:confused: NEWF5 :confused: - I disconnect and reconnect and there he be in a mattrer of minutes, Even tried different channels .

Thanks for your help

Going to look further into this in the day light hours :D