• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Purchasing ONLINE from U.S: Sales Tax

amplified

TRIBE Member
i have never pushased anything online from the states before so i don'tunderstand how it works.

I'm looking ot purchase some kicks (shoes) online from the states...when and how do i pay for the taxes when they cross the border? Do i receive the shoes first then get billed for the taxes or do i pay before hand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
1. DO NOT SHIP VIA UPS.

2. DO NOT SHIP VIA UPS.

3. Just in case you missed it...DO NOT SHIP VIA UPS. They will sodomize you with a bunch of 'brokerage fees'. These fees are usually a minimum of $25, and rapidly work up from there. Highway robbery.

4. If possible, ship via USPS (United States Parcel Service) or EMS (USPS Express Mail Service) - when your package hits the border , you will be charged $5 handling fee, any duty if applicable, and pay GST and PST on the declared value of the item(s). You pay at the post office (or the mailman) when the package is delivered. In the case of EMS, you will be invoiced later, and make sure you pay this invoice if you ever intend on shipping something cross border again.

4. FedEx is another option, it's much faster, and their charge $7 per line item on the shipping manifest for brokerage, plus duty taxes etc.