• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pump Up The Volume Video – The History of House and electronic music

T_Dot_House

TRIBE Member
After being so inspired by Jessie Saunders, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley and Farley “Jackmaster” Funk the other night here in Toronto, I thought I’d post the link to a video about the history of House and electronic music to help educate the history to some of you that don’t know.
They are Google videos so they will stream in your browser. Each part is about an hour long.
I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. They touch on NY, Chicago, Detroit, the UK and how Ibiza got started.

Pump Up The Volume - Part 1

Pump Up The Volume - Part 2

Pump Up The Volume - Part 3

Cheers!

Sean

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Thanks dude - this is great. Been needing something like this for a while. Perfect for nursing my hangover on new years day.

Cheers, g.

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Yah it's been rather sleepy in these here parts of late.

I'm still holdin' in down for the heads though, and I appreciate the hookup!

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
this is on themixingbowl, slightly better quality, wmv, ads edited out... it's no divx or dvd rip but it's better than sitting in front google video for 3 hours...

Thrill_House

TRIBE Promoter
Wow that was a solid house docu man, the best I have ever seen! It was awesome to see interviews with some of house music's greatest influences.

Daveed

TRIBE Member
Wow the UK really screwed up House. I kid...I kid ;-)
If you only have time for one of these I'd pick Part 1.

Rage

TRIBE Member
Seen this a quite a while ago, it's amazing. Anyone know where you might be able to pick an actually copy of this. I have tried Ebay, Amazon and others without any luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gabu

TRIBE Promoter
great doc. the clips of the unintelligle shaun ryder are immensely entertaining. its not for sale i've asked the bbc years ago for it. check the deep house page. Jesse Saunders ent me a copy a while ago.

Rage

TRIBE Member
T_Dot_House said:
After being so inspired by Jessie Saunders, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley and Farley “Jackmaster” Funk the other night here in Toronto, I thought I’d post the link to a video about the history of House and electronic music to help educate the history to some of you that don’t know.
They are Google videos so they will stream in your browser. Each part is about an hour long.
I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. They touch on NY, Chicago, Detroit, the UK and how Ibiza got started.

Pump Up The Volume - Part 1

Pump Up The Volume - Part 2

Pump Up The Volume - Part 3

Cheers!

Sean
Was just able to d-load all 3 parts...cheers mate

acheron

TRIBE Member
heh heh funny to see the ppl who are STILL reluctant to admit that drugs and the british penchant for substance abuse in general had a lot to do with the development of the scene there. Some of them just don't talk about it, focus on the music... but at least that Happy Mondays guy was there to bring things down to earth! good that they interviewed him in a pub, too.

It was really nice to see the bit with the Police superintendant admitting that their actions probably made the scene bigger and attracted organized crime.

Rage

TRIBE Member
Libradragon said:
Here's another doc that is along the same lines of pump up the volume. Yes, i know this is the house room - but you'll hopefully find it useful.

High Tech Soul - Creation of Techno
Thanks a lot, this is a great little film, much appreciated.

I've been trying to locate somewhere these two titles as well;

The House that Trax Built. It hasn't been released yet, anybody know of a torrent for it or somewhere to download it from?

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7100268

Also the movie Berlin Calling, same thing, torrent or anything to get it?

http://www.berlin-calling.de/en

Heavydisco

TRIBE Member
Thought this was a good place to post the Canadian chapter of the story that usually gets left out...all music produced in Montreal and Toronto 1983 or earlier:

((( http://www.discobreak.com/Rotation/CanadaNightlife.mp3 )))

France Harlow “Vol La Nuit” EDIT
Kat Mandu “The Kat Is Back” Instrumental (Manhattan Formula)
Judy B “Thank You” Instrumental (D.J.)
Reggie Simms “Over And Over” Instrumental (P.B.I.)
Peter King “Nite Life” EDIT
Fric “Erreur Erotique” Instrumental (D.J.)
Private Class “Danger In The Night” Instrumental (DBA)
Overdrive “Tekno Talk” (Attic)
Lime “On The Grid” EDIT
Pluton And Humanoids “World Invaders” Instrumental (V.S.)
Gino Soccio “Remember” EDIT
Lime “Angel Eyes” Dub EDIT
Nightlife Unlimited “Peaches & Prunes” (Uniwave)