• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Public Speaking

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
so who has a fear of it?
I'm terrified of public speaking.. it'skind of odd bc i'm in marketing.

ok i love doing marketing, i understand it yada yada yada, i just dont do presentations. I dont like being centre of attention, i get all nervous and i can't think as my brain becomes cloudy.. i hate it bc it sounds like im stupid even though im not.

I want to be an event planner.
does that have a lot of public speaking for that? I hope not.. i've done so many presentations, i lost count this year alone (school year).

i was just wondering if there are other ppl like me.

Alita

TRIBE Member
I'm really bad at public speaking. I get really really nervous - like shaking nervous - lol.

I'm ok with meeting new people, getting into a crowd and mingling...but public speaking...me no likey :p

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
It helps to imagine everyone in their underwear

Actually... what helps the most is having the chance to socialize with your audience before hand.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
i did a presentations class last semester. 7 weeks and it was marketing so my teahcer would challenge us.

i also have 9 more to do this semester, 3 by myself.. and those don't count the ones i do every Wednesday.

i have a presentation to do every wednesday.. that's ok.. im not nevous about doing that.. except this wednesday bc my partner decided to inform me tonight that she won't be there bc she has something to do so i have to do the presentation by myself.

argh

:(

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
you should bring the wine bottled blow up doll with you. ;)

I thought know one saw those for some reason.

that picture isn't me btw, it's a friends friend, i was the one that took the picture.

it was funny because everyone was fondling her and the part that stuck to her 'vagina' was not open so Nicole deflowered her lol and her boyfreind was like 'oh right who deflowered her' and everyone was like 'your girlfirend!!!' and he goes 'that's my girl' lol

it was funny
I guess you kind of had to be there.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hawk Eye
I guess you kind of had to be there.

i will be there! in february.

heheh...that was the most interesting part of your pics, the fact that it was tyrolian village! woot!

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
i will be there! in february.

heheh...that was the most interesting part of your pics, the fact that it was tyrolian village! woot!

nice

I didn't go skiing

and i dont snowboard anymore bc i dont have good balance. :(

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
that picture isn't me btw, it's a friends friend, i was the one that took the picture.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight, ya know my friend used that same excuse when his parents found pictures of him involved in a similar circumstance. Except it was a goat, not a blow up doll. And it wasn't a bottle, it was a mexican hooker.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Kalemic
Riiiiiiiiiiiight, ya know my friend used that same excuse when his parents found pictures of him involved in a similar circumstance. Except it was a goat, not a blow up doll. And it wasn't a bottle, it was a mexican hooker.

it wasn't me and my parents liked hte pictures, they thought they were hilarious. My mothers comment 'looks like the doll had more fun then you guys did'

mingster

TRIBE Member
nice

I didn't go skiing

and i dont snowboard anymore bc i dont have good balance. :(

meh...i only go outside for runs to the liquor store.

but this year...THIS YEAR'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT! i might go tubing.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
meh...i only go outside for runs to the liquor store.

but this year...THIS YEAR'S GOING TO BE DIFFERENT! i might go tubing.

oh tubing!!

I wanted to go but they didn't have it open..

the runs weren't good when i went up.. it was dirt patches everywhere.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
i found that taking drama in high school TOTALLY helped me overcome my fear of public speaking. Getting out of your comfort zone and having to do adlib and do crazy things in public makes speaking in front of ppl so much easier.

deep

TRIBE Member
Public speaking is easily one of my best abilities.

It's not really any different from any other type of competitive performance.

If you get caught up in thinking about how you're going to fuck up and make an ass out of yourself, that eats up your mental resources that you need available to deal with the situation. This is why athletes drop the ball , it's why people choke under high pressure situations...basically they just start thinking about things other than what they need to do in the situation. Like how nervous they feel. The thing with nervousness is that the more you think about it, the intense those feelings feel, the more intense those feelings feel, the worse it seems. A positive feedback loop.

If it's nervousness you feel, try and think of the feelings as being energized rather than nervous. See it as energy to step up to a situation rather than nervous feelings spiralling out of control. Kind of a fight or flight perspective - same feelings, just seeing it as the impetus to fight rather than flee. More proof that you're alive than afraid.

Believe what you say, know what the fuck you're talking about, nothing can replace the meaning of these two factors in how effective you are.

Envision in your head what you're going to say in as rich detail as possible so that it feels as though you've done it a couple times before you actually do go in there. If you're mentally rehearsing something, see it not just from a third person perspective (as if you were watching a movie of yourself) but also from the first person perspective (i.e. seeing the room how it would look from your own eyes).

Last edited:

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Hawk Eye: I'm cueently in the last year of my marketing program as well so we've probably had quite a few similar experiences speaking in front of classes and clients.

I love speaking infront of people and one of the main reasons for that enthusiasium is this............... you have information that people are not aware of, but are interested in finding out about.

This mind frame is the best way to keep a level head during presentations. The benefit to the audience is that you are sharing valuable information that you have researched that saves them from having to research themselves. That is what I keep in mind during presentations, that way it feels like you are working together, everthough you are faced against the audience.

matt

depraved

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
It helps to imagine everyone in their underwear

Actually... what helps the most is having the chance to socialize with your audience before hand.

Even better if you can socialize with your audience in their underwear

bambam

TRIBE Member
learn to 'look through' people...with public speaking problems arise when you start watching individual people, you have to be able to completely ignore the fact that your audience is made up of individuals...watch the room, not the people in it.
hope that makes sense