• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Psychic TV and Throbbing Gristle - Discuss ...

nihilist

TRIBE Member
i've been listening to them at work for the past few days. listening to them as i type this sentence.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i've never given either much time...however, i always enjoy interviews with Genesis P.Orridge.

Care to recommend a starter point for each band?

nihilist

TRIBE Member
you know, i was secretly hoping i could start this thread, get aether to talk about p. orridge, then into some boob job, transgendered thing, then somehow fall into a topic about the residents, then how the residents did some tracks for pee wee's playhouse, then talk about pee wee herman, then talk about how pee wee was part of the church of the subgenius ... etc etc..

but i think im just demanding way too much on a saturday afternoon..

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

aether

TRIBE Member
well there people go and ruin our morning plans with serious responses.

i was looking up some COUM stuff the other day. Nutty/intense stuff.

test dept, psychic tv is one of the things that introduced me to the good ol' electronic music. i've got this disc from a really bad invisible records release which has an entire disc devoted to p-orridge reading his private fantasies over mick-harris beats. i should dig into those cd's again.

nihilist

TRIBE Member
randy was the redhead w/ freckles right? he reminds me of that bully kid in 'a christmas story'. boogery redhead freckle snot gooby boogerbutt snotty kid.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
nihilist said:
randy was the redhead w/ freckles right? he reminds me of that bully kid in 'a christmas story'. boogery redhead freckle snot gooby boogerbutt snotty kid.
cherry the chair should have murdered his freckled ass

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

nihilist

TRIBE Member
rentboy said:
i've never given either much time...however, i always enjoy interviews with Genesis P.Orridge.

Care to recommend a starter point for each band?
well, lessee:

Psychic TV
- Force the Hand of Chance
- Mouth of the Night

Throbbing Gristle
- 20 Jazz Funk Greats
- Heathen Earth

try those 4. if it's too 'drug induced psychotic stabby' for most days, try Coil - Love's Secret Domain

thom100

TRIBE Member
nihilist said:
i particularly like the autechre remix of dark river. but i do like the original as well.
HORSE ROTORVATOR is my favorite album...but hey that can change depending what drugs you happen to be on. Their live show I got to see in NYC was one of the most intense experiences of my life.
Too bad it had to end.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rentboy

TRIBE Member
nihilist said:
well, lessee:

Psychic TV
- Force the Hand of Chance
- Mouth of the Night

Throbbing Gristle
- 20 Jazz Funk Greats
- Heathen Earth

try those 4. if it's too 'drug induced psychotic stabby' for most days, try Coil - Love's Secret Domain

littlejon

TRIBE Member
it is funny this thread came up, i just did some spring cleaning and came across my box of old cassettes that i can't bear to part with.
i have some psychic tv for the early 80's. :eek:

and i also was flipping though my old copy of modern primitives yesterday, too. i agree: Genesis P.Orridge gives a fine interview.

the best of psychic tv: time's up on cleopatra records [1999] is a fine document of the band.

Adam Duke

TRIBE Member
This thread would really inspire me to pull out my Throbbing Gristle t shirt, but it's sleeveless and goddamit, it's cold out there.

Where's Donc in this thread?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xotec

TRIBE Member
let's not forget the fine work of Chris and Cosey...

P-TV put on one hell of a live show...

I still bust out with M.E.S.H. every how and then...

x

Taylor

TRIBE Member
I have Genesis P-orriges autograph on an old Passport of mine.

Very interesting man (um, er person).

When he performed in Toronto Nov 2000 at Lee's Palace, he had the entire place spellbound by his performance.

He is definitly way ahead of his time. He had quite an interesting set of videos that he let us view.

He mentioned performances that his crew had, that were never even recorded nor performed in front of anyone back in the 70s and 80s.

He has steel teeth now and breasts.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
i saw psychic tv at the diamond in 1990. i found a STACK of comp tickets at the record peddler the night of, and literally walked over and caught their performance. it was awesome. spinning flashlights and all.