• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

PS2, XBOX: Surround sound??

gollum

TRIBE Member
Just wondering if both these game stations support surround sound, and what types of Audio/Video output jacks are needed?

I need a new DVD player and am considering my options, but I need the surround sound or really what's the point.

cheers
 
Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

KiFe

TRIBE Member
get a real dvd player.

the ps2 dvd drive sucks for lots of movie watching...

and the xbox charges you another 40bucks for the dvd-player accessory.


the ps2 has surround sound fibre-optic output built in... the xbox.. .again.. you have to buy an adaptor.


get a real dvd player. or an xbox if you have the expendable cash.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
If you want a great cheap DVD player.

APEX AD-2600 Progressive Scan DVD Player.

It has component out, optical out, coaxial out, etc...
Plays SVCD/VCD/DVD/MP3/WMV/MPG ... and it cost me about $80 @ BestBuy.

pr0nstar
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
If you want a great cheap DVD player.

APEX AD-2600 Progressive Scan DVD Player.

It has component out, optical out, coaxial out, etc...
Plays SVCD/VCD/DVD/MP3/WMV/MPG ... and it cost me about $80 @ BestBuy.

pr0nstar


sweet... now find me one with a DVI out.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
You and your damned DVI Out, you're worse than I with the Counter Strike :p

pr0nstar

P.S. What TV did you end up buying in the end ;)
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
haha SCROO YOU BOTH!!

jerkasses! :p


a buddy of mine that has the same tv PRAISES the image quality with a DVI signal going into the set.

I've been jonesin' to try it out myself.




i ended up with a samsung dlp.
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
DLP eh.. g'luck :p

Also what has DVI Out? Besides my computer?

pr0nstar


higher end dvd players, and most of the upper end GFX cards today come with a dvi port.

g'luck eh? scroo you. i love it... you can take your Wega McFatsalot and lift it! don't put your back out sukka! :p

teehee!
 

Vcakes

TRIBE Member
I have the fibre optic connector going into my receiver from my ps2 for ultimate surround sound. As well I have the monster cable going into my widescreen. And there is a definite improvement to the picture quality.

Totally improved my gaming experience.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
g'luck eh? scroo you. i love it... you can take your Wega McFatsalot and lift it! don't put your back out sukka! :p

teehee!

Hey, my 46" Projection only weighs 130lbs, I can lift it myself if it wasn't so wide.

pr0nstar :D
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Hey, my 46" Projection only weighs 130lbs, I can lift it myself if it wasn't so wide.

pr0nstar :D

oh.. sorry..i thought you had a wegatube.

well... 130lbs.. you got me beat by 37 pounds :)

skinny.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Hey, I'm not dissing the DLP at all ;)

I just think for the buck I got a great deal...
I'm still not sure what I would want in the future.

But I know my TV will last me at least a good 5 years, then it can go in my Den or something when I get my own place.

And I don't know, I don't even have a Receiver for surround system yet, so I'm not too worried about DVI. Component seems to work grood so far.

pr0nstar :D
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Hey, I'm not dissing the DLP at all ;)

I just think for the buck I got a great deal...
I'm still not sure what I would want in the future.

But I know my TV will last me at least a good 5 years, then it can go in my Den or something when I get my own place.

And I don't know, I don't even have a Receiver for surround system yet, so I'm not too worried about DVI. Component seems to work grood so far.

pr0nstar :D


hey man... i'm just fucking around :)

to each their own... this aint a pissing contest :D



i think it'll be quite awhile before peripherals start using dvi as a standard output channel... but at least ill be ready when that day comes :)
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I'm still tempted to bring home my LCD from work, but I've heard LCD isn't good for gaming!?

Is there any truth to this?

Because it has a DVI Input and I'd like to test my 9800 Pro on it.

pr0nstar :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
I'm still tempted to bring home my LCD from work, but I've heard LCD isn't good for gaming!?

Is there any truth to this?

Because it has a DVI Input and I'd like to test my 9800 Pro on it.

pr0nstar :D


It should be fine... the only thing i've heard CON about lcd (PANELS), is that sometimes it cant keep up with game refresh rate demands.

Altho i dont know if this is common to all projectors .... i've heard concerns of this nature.

>shrug< never tried tho.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Hmm, maybe I'll take it home for a test one day when I have a car...

But yeah, that's what I heard and I'm worried about.

It lagging behind the vid card :D

pr0nstar
 

gollum

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
get a real dvd player.

the ps2 dvd drive sucks for lots of movie watching...

and the xbox charges you another 40bucks for the dvd-player accessory.


the ps2 has surround sound fibre-optic output built in... the xbox.. .again.. you have to buy an adaptor.


get a real dvd player. or an xbox if you have the expendable cash.

The problem is I can't afford one. My old DVD player I really liked. Panasonic RV-31, played mp3s etc etc. but it died on me and would cost the same to fix as a new one.

So I'm looking at options. I can't afford top of the line, so I just want reasonable quality sound etc etc.

thanks for the help.
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by gollum
The problem is I can't afford one. My old DVD player I really liked. Panasonic RV-31, played mp3s etc etc. but it died on me and would cost the same to fix as a new one.

So I'm looking at options. I can't afford top of the line, so I just want reasonable quality sound etc etc.

thanks for the help.


you really shouldnt have a hard time finding a $100 dvd player with surround OUT.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ChROmE

TRIBE Member
Pat what DLP screen did you get? We have an opportunity to grab Samsung products at 25% off here. I was looking at the rear project 46". May pass for now.

Need to do more research.
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChROmE
Pat what DLP screen did you get? We have an opportunity to grab Samsung products at 25% off here. I was looking at the rear project 46". May pass for now.

Need to do more research.


DO IT!!!!


i got the HLN samsung 43' dlp.

and it's FFAAAAKING sweet. 25%off sure would have been nice.

i love the thing.

but do your research... and consider your options.... DLP v.s. LCD has pros and cons on both sides... which makes it REALLY difficult to decide.


the comparable sony grand wega was POORLY reputed for burning out it's bulb... v.s. the praise that the sammy got...

when i got to bestbuy, i saw them both side by side, my eye said buy the wega.. but my research said buy the sammy...

in the end, i went home with the sammy.. and i'm SUPER-delighted with it.
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChROmE
Pat what DLP screen did you get? We have an opportunity to grab Samsung products at 25% off here. I was looking at the rear project 46". May pass for now.

Need to do more research.


oh yeah.. and if you can get a top of the line samsung dvd player (with dvi output), for 25% less, GET ONE FOR ME!!!

-ez
 

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
and the xbox charges you another 40bucks for the dvd-player accessory.

I think it's totally worth it. HOWEVER, you can get the dvd adapter for the xbox for $15 off of ebay.

I did.
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
X-Box requires an adaptor to play DVDs and to have surround?

What a fucking gip!

As I told Jason before, the PS2 DVD player is good enough for me. Only 1 in 50 DVDs won't play. I have a fairly large DVD collection and they all play on it.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top