1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Proud

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Jeremy Jive, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Last night I had the most overwhelming feeling of pride. My father received a lifetime achievement award for his contribution to Canadian accounting and academics. I found out that my dad has taught over 130 consecutive semesters without missing one.

Not only does he teach both schools but in his spare time he writes the textbooks that accountants learn with and he creates the manuals for the software they use.

It was so amazing to see my father get up there and be recognized for over 30 years of work that he has loved with all his heart.

I saw my father cry for the first time in my life. I was so proud to be there for him. I still a day later just want to hug him and tell him how much I love him and how proud I am for all that he has done.

I've been proud before but this was completely different.

jeremy -overjoyed- jive

2. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

Congrats to your dad, he's like the Cal Ripken Jr. of accounting professors.

3. dj Red Turtle

dj Red Turtle TRIBE Promoter

Good job papa Jive!!

4. luvslife

luvslife TRIBE Member

That's awsome Jer!
    Now you know how he feels everytime he looks at you!:)

5. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

That's the nicest thing I've seen posted...in a long time. It's completely wasted on Wadkins...but still very nice.

Jer, congrats to your dad.

6. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

congratulations! sounds like a great night.

(but my dad can still beat up your dad.)

7. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

wow.

congrats!

(probably using software your dad designed right now ;))

destro

8. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

what? old and new? :p

congrats to your pops. As a student it's looking like it's going to be 130 consecutive semesters for me so I know how hard he must be working.... and he can't even sleep through class!

Bumbaclat

9. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

that's fucking awesome!

10. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

My dad is an old ninja master.

jeremy -back the fuck up foo- jive

11. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

Maybe in 30 years that will be you up there and your son will feel the same way about you.:)

12. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Don't most schools have two semesters per year? Has your dad been teaching for 65 years?

13. finary

finary TRIBE Promoter

if he teaches at two schools, thats 4 semesters per year, which is a lot of fuckin teachin! kudos to your dad jer, thats amazing!

14. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Proud

Fall, Winter, Summer. All three semesters

I used to work there too for eight years. I was thinking last night that after my dad retires there will no longer be a family connection to that college. My father teaches there, my mom worked there and I've worked there.

My dad wants me to think about applying for a job as a teacher there too. I think I would like that some day.

That college has been a big part of my life. I remember carrying my dad's briefcase to the car after summer camp when I was young. It was so heavy I would drag it but I wanted to carry it anyways.

I swear my dad still knows the name of every single person who works in that place. And he stops to talk to each and every one of them no matter what else he has to do for himself.

I'm getting all teary eyed thinking about how much that place has meant to him and all of us threw our lives. I've seen that school grow from a tiny place to the second largest college in north america.

Last night I ran into the Dean of Registrars. My former boss of 8 years. He taught me a lot and let me get away with murder when I was student and resident. I'd love to go back there and work for him. And watching all the college girls all day would be nice too.

jeremy -good times- jive

15. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

He teaches at the one college. He teaches all three semesters each year of day classes and three semesters a year of night school for part time students.

In total he racks up six semesters a year and still puts in 30 hours a week on his writing.

jeremy -never complained once- jive

16. physix

physix TRIBE Member

son: dad, you're awesome! congrats...

father: (body slams son) top that, bitch!

so what the fuck are YOU doing to win YOUR achievement award...
    them some biiiig shoes to fill...

;)

-physix

17. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

first ballet and now this outpouring of love for your pops.

jer youre a true metrosexual.

18. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I already won my award. I won the CHUM limited scholarship two years in a row. For most promising young canadian audio producer. That scholarship paid for my schooling.

jeremy -now I got nothing- jive

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Nice thread.

I had a similar feeling when my father retired from 38 years in the ontario public service. He's always been the absent minded professor type and it wasn't until I attended his gala that I realized how much of a difference he's made to public administration in Canada.

Even after being eligible for retirement for years, and being offered lucrative consulting positions that would have paid him expontentially more than the government, he opted to stay until recently because he felt that he just hadn't accomplished all that he intended and continued to serve the province until June. After seeing several MP's and the Premier speak and commend him for being the personification of a public servant I had a whole new respect for what's he's accomplished.

It's a lot to live up to. :)

20. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I just hope my father accepts my wishes to become a topless dancer.

jeremy -I got rhythm, I got soul, I got 20's for dancing with a pole- jive