1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Protective Skins for cell phones

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Photon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Photon

Photon TRIBE Member

So I've gotten a Nexus One and want to protect it. I've been looking at a couple different skins and they all seem to have the same quality, application process, etc. The ones I have been looking at are Body Guardz, Invisible Sheild by Zagg, and Best Skins Ever. So what have you used? Was the application process as easy as the make it seem on their websites? How long did it stay on for? and which one should I stay away from? Thanks for your help.

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I had an Invisible Sheild on my old iPhone and it was great!

Except.....it was horrible for glare.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

+1

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Let me know how this goes dood, as im still using the Foam-Neoprene Case that came with mine with a screen protector i got online, but i would like something for the entire thing, in case the Foam is not on it.

[jai]

5. Photon

Photon TRIBE Member

How did you guys find the application process?

6. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Of the Invisible Shield?

It was pretty easy....it allows you to slide it around before you 'set' it.

Then just leaving enough time to properly dry.

So I'd suggest doing it later at night so you aren't tempted to turn it on I guess.

7. glych t.anomaly

oh sweet, i didnt know you could slide it around !

i might get the one for just the body if it comes like that, and keep the screen protector i currently have, how was the air bubbles and things with the INVISIBLE SHIELD ?

[jai]

8. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Well to "properly" apply the Invisible Shield you have to spray it down to activate the glue...so you can slide it around after applying....then you have to squeegee the bubbles/water out of it (you get a tool to do that).

Then pat to dry and wait while it sets.

I had no bubbles/warping when I did it.

Oh, your phone should be OFF when you do this.

9. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

I've used the Best Skins Ever ones on my iphone and ipods. Install process was a bit of a bitch because of the roundness of these apple products but one they were on they were great.

Lobo

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

I just got an e-mail from ZAGG with a couple 25% off discount codes. If you want one of them, shoot me a PM and I'll pass it along. It's good for anything on their site.

11. Photon

Photon TRIBE Member

So I went with the Best Skins Ever and I've gotta say these things are awesome. Went on real easy and fits like a glove. The cuts they do for the corners make it wrap around perfectly. Also it adds a bit of grip to the phone so it doesn't feel like its going to slide out of my hand all the time, and the touchscreen seems to respond better. Price was only $10 including shipping which made them the cheapest option aswell.

12. glych t.anomaly

where did you order it from?

[jai]

13. Photon

Photon TRIBE Member

14. glych t.anomaly

THANKS !

just ordered.

[jai]

15. glych t.anomaly

what did you use for a squeegie?

[jai]

16. glych t.anomaly

installed well, but i am starting to see it peeling up at some of the corner locations, and im still keeping it in my black protective case, i basically only got it to make sure it doesnt get scratched.

kinda lame and dissapointing, but i might just order another one to replace pieces as they start to peel off, and hopefully second application will take a little better.

overall they went on pretty well and seem to be of decent quality.

[jai]

17. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

I've used bestskinsever for years. The ends peel sometimes and I usually don't bother with the pieces that have skinny pointy ends, or if they need to be stretched around bends much. they work well if you like to keep your phone just in your pocket but i suspect that using it in a sleeve would pull the skin off.