• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Prosumer!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well that was another treat!

Breakandenter brought him back and this time there was just a bit more room to move (the last time being an installment in their tiny-space "Hot Box" series).

Got there shortly after 1 and stayed til close to the end just before 5 - he laid down a great set of house/disco/techno that kept the whole place enthralled for the entire time.

Did the whole thing on vinyl too!

Living proof the medium is NOT the message when it comes to a great DJ set!

Looking back I think I slightly preferred his first set in Toronto from a little while back but this was just the dancing fuel I needed to aerobicize a pretty tight back this month - feelin' snappy today!

Was tough to find the real estate but Club 120 has a few balcony spaces where one could move a bit more freely until the after 3 crowd attenuation freed up more room on the main dancefloor. Cool little venue but an extra bartender would have been appreciated..;)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Hanged with Poker Face and Mrs PF for an hour or so then booked it to CODA for the late shift. I spent a fucking tonne of money farting around last night. Paying for it today... Good to see those who were out and about at both parties, people were in a festive mood. :)

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Did the whole thing on vinyl too!

Living proof the medium is NOT the message when it comes to a great DJ set
But you're remarking on the significance of it being an all vinyl set - sounds like, at least for you, the medium was the message! ;)

Sounds like a great night, if it was another night, I would have been there for sure. Glad to hear it was a better vibe then their last jam there with Junior Boys. It is kinda a fun/weird space.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Just saying it provided no limitations to his ability to entrance us! ;)

And he had some enhancements that were cool too:

- cups with rubber bands that tribe's own Surfer Joe brought to the attention of Prosumer and Breakandenter at the last gig he had in tee dot - B+E had set that up again this time! (they made their own cups/rubber bands)
- also had these weights, cylindrical, which I had never seen before. Each record would get a weight placed on it to keep it level

So there was some cool engineering at work too..;) Surfer Joe - got a pic of the stabilizers which I know you'll be proud to see.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
The first time Prosumer played at the Break and Enter event was pure magic.

If this was a repeat, then it was a treat. I remember the shock absorbers!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member

And he had some enhancements that were cool too:

- cups with rubber bands that tribe's own Surfer Joe brought to the attention of Prosumer and Breakandenter at the last gig he had in tee dot - B+E had set that up again this time! (they made their own cups/rubber bands)
- also had these weights, cylindrical, which I had never seen before. Each record would get a weight placed on it to keep it level

So there was some cool engineering at work too..;) Surfer Joe - got a pic of the stabilizers which I know you'll be proud to see.
what?

cups and rubber bands?

JamesM

TRIBE Member
If I remember correctly, the last Prosumer event almost didn't happen because of the stablization. It was a real issue.

Like 50 people bouncing on a rackety old second floor of a house.

Something inventive needed to be done outside the typical stuff.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Hanged with Poker Face and Mrs PF for an hour or so then booked it to CODA for the late shift. I spent a fucking tonne of money farting around last night. Paying for it today... Good to see those who were out and about at both parties, people were in a festive mood. :)
Glad seeing you out Mr Federko! Randomly ran into the one formerly known as TechnoPrincess at Coda... Ms Barbara could have put in a better showing. No programming.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Glad seeing you out Mr Federko! Randomly ran into the one formerly known as TechnoPrincess at Coda... Ms Barbara could have put in a better showing. No programming.
Word, Techno List represent to the fullest (times three) :)

Now if anyone knows the whereabouts to my Lucky's and my ratty old black toque...

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
I first saw David Mancuso use those weights at the Loft.

They're the sign of someone who takes their vinyl very seriously.

Really wanted to hit this jam, but I'm never in town for Boxing day. Missing all the great parties and record sales.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
There will always be another good jimmy jam. And get used to it for the next while, breh. Your life is set to change (for the better)...

I wonder if I'll be able to reach one of the many great bookings this month. Why is January always rammed, yet I'm often indisposed???

_LIFE_

:)

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
Would have liked to have been there for sure, as that other gig was definitely magical. I actually still have his broken copy of Moodymann's Norma Jean Bell that he said I could keep after the show. Part of the tune is still playable, and it's a great memento of the night.

And thanks for the props on the cups and rubber band solution for that party, amigo. Of course, it wasn't my invention or anything. I was just frustrated having played bouncy wooden floors over the years and had searched out a solution. The absolute bomb-proof, no-skip solution is to use them combined with the half tennis balls and the concrete slabs.

So it'd be:

with

Though, I cut my tennis balls in half, not like in that picture….