• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Prosecutors drop charges against LaBabe

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
4997450_320X240.jpg
4997360_320X240.jpg

Prosecutors Drop Charges Against Teacher In Student Sex Case

UPDATED: 6:16 pm EST March 21, 2006

TAMPA, Fla. -- Prosecutors in one Florida county decided Tuesday to drop charges against a former Tampa teacher accused of having sex with a 14-year-old middle school student.

The decision, announced hours after a judge rejected a plea deal for Debra Lafave, means the victim won't have to testify.

Lafave's sentence in another county for having sex with the same boy still stands.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys had urged the judge to accept the deal for the sake of the boy involved. A psychiatrist who examined the teenager told the judge at a previous hearing that the boy suffered extreme anxiety from the media coverage of the case and does not want to testify.

Marion County Circuit Judge Hale Stancil, however, said the lack of prison time for Lafave under the plea deal "shocks the conscience of this court," and he rejected it.

Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway, in explaining the decision to drop the charges, said: "The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not."

Lafave, 25, was already sentenced to three years of house arrest and seven years' probation in Hillsborough County, where she was charged with having sex with the same boy in a classroom and her home. She pleaded guilty Nov. 22 to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery under a plea deal there.

In Marion County, she was accused of having sex with the boy in a sport utility vehicle.

Lafave said at a news conference later Tuesday that she was getting treatment for bipolar disorder.

"I have a lot of things in my past that have unfortunately become public," Lafave said.

"I pray with all my heart that the young man and his family will be able to move on with their lives," she said. "Again, I offer my deepest apologies."

Hillsborough County prosecutor Mike Sinacore has said that the victim's family had anticipated a trial, but that the media attention prompted the boy's mother to push for a plea deal.

"There is no one that wanted to see Debra Lafave serve jail time more than myself," the boy's mother wrote in an e-mail to the Ocala Star-Banner over the weekend. But she said the welfare of her son was more important.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

The Peej

TRIBE Member
agentRC4 said:
Damm I wish I was 14 again.

She's smoking :eek:

We've totally been through this debate before, and the moral police are about to reign terror on your for thinking so. But I for one will back you up on this.

DAMN SHE'S A HOTTIE TEACHER!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
Teacher let off after admitting sex with teenage student

Think this would happen if the sexes were reversed? (btw, victim, my ass!) :p

capt.sge.bpi75.210306224258.photo00.photo.default-254x384.jpg

MIAMI (AFP) - A Florida teacher who admitted having sex several times with her 14-year-old student was freed after prosecutors dropped sexual abuse charges to avoid calling the boy to the witness stand.
ADVERTISEMENT

In the case that drew national US media attention, Ocala, Florida prosecutor Brad King said he decided to withdraw the charges because forcing the victim to testify could further traumatize him.

The attractive blonde, blue-eyed teacher, Debra LaFave, 25, had earlier admitted to having had sex with her student several times in 2004, including in a mobile classroom where she taught and twice inside a car driven by the victim's older brother, who was only 15.

After the victim's family voiced concerns that forcing him to testify against the teacher amid intense media attention would be traumatizing, LaFave's lawyers and prosecutors reached a deal in which she would avoid prison while accepting a sentence of three years of partial house arrest and seven years of conditional release.

However, earlier Tuesday Judge Hale Stancil rejected the deal, saying it would allow a defendant to beat a conviction for the mere reason that the victim wanted to avoid testifying because of excessive media attention.

"Accepting the proposed plea agreement would undermine the credibility of this court, and the criminal justice system as a whole, and would erode public confidence in our schools," he wrote in his ruling.

But afterwards the prosecutor then decided to give up the case in order to protect the boy.

"The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not," King said.

"Crime victims are not all alike; all have their own unique injury and their own unique vulnerabilities," he said.

The case became national news and turned LaFave into a celebrity, with pictures circulating on the Internet of her in a bikini and a sexy dress astride a motorcycle.

Early in the trial last November, her lawyer John Fitzgibbons attempted to play her beauty as a card in her defense, arguing she was too pretty to be imprisoned.

"To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," he told the court.

In a televised news conference after the charges were dropped, LaFave attributed her behavior to bipolar disorder, and attacked journalists for judgmental coverage of her case.

"I was very nervous. I have a lot of things in my part that unfortunately became very public," she said about her feelings while in the court.

LaFave said she was taking medical treatment for bipolarity, and meanwhile also planned to study journalism.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2006032...8AFO7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

bryanwayne

TRIBE Member
this student is my new hero.

this also happened in Ontario not to long ago but the teacher looked
like a swamp donkey

bh

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Hmmmmm although 14 is a very young age......and as I recall.....my pee pee was still in the process of puberty........and my teacher looked like that?!??

I would have kept my mouth shut ;)

Poot

TRIBE Member
Early in the trial last November, her lawyer John Fitzgibbons attempted to play her beauty as a card in her defense, arguing she was too pretty to be imprisoned.

"To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," he told the court.

Oh please.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
as i have said before, more than 95% of the inappropriate sexual activities between teachers and students happen with male teachers. the small amount of female teachers accused of sexual offences get tons of media attention, while the males are quietly prosecuted without fanfare.

professionally speaking has a section in the back that lists all the offences before the teacher's tribunal, and the results of the enquiries. it makes for a good and smutty read.

and yeah, i'd dress her up as my lil schoolgirl whore. fwap fwap fwap.
meow.