• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Prosecution of an 11 y/o for calling his friend a Paki is thrown out

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Teachers attack judge who threw out 'racist' boy case
By Times Online and Russell Jenkins

A judge who halted the prosecution of a schoolboy for an allegedly racist playground taunt was today accused of being out of date by teaching unions.

The boy, who cannot be identified, was brought before District Judge Jonathon Finestein at Salford Youth Court for allegedly calling an 11-year-old a "Paki" and "bin Laden".

Judge Finestein made it clear that in his view the case should not have reached the courts, concluding that the decision to prosecute appeared political correctness gone mad. He ordered the Crown Prosecution Service to think again, stating that in his day such matters were resolved with "a good clouting or the slipper".

Judith Elderkin, national executive member of the National Union of Teachers, representing Greater Manchester, said that Mr Finestein's attitude was "a bit out of date".

She said: "Racist abuse, whether it be verbal, physical, psychological or on the internet, is not tolerated nowadays. Schools have to report it, they don’t have any choice. It is a legal requirement for schools to report these incidents and someone in the police force examines the returns for every school.

"What the judge is saying is that the two children should have just had their heads knocked together. He needs telling that it’s no longer within the control of the school to handle incidents of racial bullying."

The boy, from Irlam, Manchester, appeared in court with his parents. He denied a racially aggravated public order offence and said that he and the other boy were now good friends.

The remarks are alleged to have been made in the school playground between July 1 last year and the end of January. The boy agrees that he did call the older boy a "Paki" but said he did not use any other racist terms. He also said that the older boy called him "white trash" in return.

The Race Relations Act 1976 states that schools and governing bodies have a duty to ensure that students do not face any form of racial discrimination, including attacks and harassment.

Judge Finestein, who has a reputation for plain speaking, said that when he was at school other pupils would call him fat but that did not amount to a criminal offence. He ordered the boy to remain on summons and adjourned the case until April 20 so that the CPS can decide whether or not it is in the public interest to go ahead.

"Have we really got to the stage where we are prosecuting ten-year-old boys because of political correctness?" he said. "Does this amount to a criminal offence? It is crazy. Nobody is more against racist abuse than me, but these are boys in a playground."

"I am not condoning what he supposedly said but there must be other ways of dealing with this apart from criminal prosecution.

"This is how stupid the whole system is getting. If you get your car stolen it does not matter, but you get two kids falling out because of racist comments. This is nonsense."

Mrs Elderkin criticised the judge for trivialising the case.

She said: "It may seem to the judge that his time has been wasted sitting in on a case like this, but he has got to understand that the CPS is abiding by guidelines. If a child is criminally responsible for his actions, or if the police consider the matter serious enough to take forward, the judge has to view that equally seriously.

"It is not a case of knocking the two boys’ heads together or giving them the slipper or the cane, or whatever might have happened in the past."

A spokeswoman for the CPS in Manchester said that prosecutors were reviewing th evidence to decide whether to pursue the case.

link

The fact that this even made it to the courts is simply stunning - but not in the good way. Two boys in a schoolyard spat tossed out a racist remark and it made it to the courts? Fawk, I think just about 99.9% of the worlds population would find themselfs in court for having made an off-handed racist at some point or another.

Its not like the kid called the other one a no-good fucking paki then ran at him with a knife screaming "I'll kill you and all your people", the two little buggers are friends now..??!

Thank god the Judge seems to have a bit of common sense, criminally charging 10yr olds for racist remarks?! yeash.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
If you use the N word when talking to me....

....you can be sure I'm taking you to the court of Fisticuffs presided by Judge Smackdown.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
I'm gonna start politically incorrect NGO's:

1- Justice for Jews
2- Prosecution for Paki's
3- Rights for Rug Munchers

And so on, how wants to be part of the Board of Directors?

Please indicate which NGO you are interested in, submit a CV, and an original sample of your worst work to me via pm.

nawberry

TRIBE Member
solacevip said:
the court of Fisticuffs presided by Judge Smackdown.

Judge Smackdown is too lenient. And is actually a Superior Court Judge.

I think you are thinking of Justice S. Mac Down, who is a judge for the Durham Regional Court of Fisticuffs. He came to bring the pain.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

noodle

TRIBE Member
Paki was a word that was thrown around A LOT when I was in grade school (go scarberia!).

A judge getting involved in this though? Please. The parents of the little name calling shit be the ones giving him a what's for. That'll learn 'em!

Bin Laden! What a little SHIT!

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
nawberry said:
Judge Smackdown is too lenient. And is actually a Superior Court Judge.

I think you are thinking of Justice S. Mac Down, who is a judge for the Durham Regional Court of Fisticuffs. He came to bring the pain.
BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hamza

TRIBE Member
As an aside, I never really figured out why someone calling me paki was supposed to upset me.

paki - short for pakistani...I was just like meh, whatever.

DJ 6 String

TRIBE Member
Hamza said:
As an aside, I never really figured out why someone calling me paki was supposed to upset me.

paki - short for pakistani...I was just like meh, whatever.

yes but you see, its a word chosen by people who are making fun of, or dislike pakistani people

Hamza

TRIBE Member
yeah, but it didn't bother me, because I viewed these ppl. as such, that their opinion didn't matter to me.

Like this one time, some kid called me a "refugee", I looked at him and said..."does that explain why you are failing English, and I'm getting an A?"

hehe

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Hamza said:
yeah, but it didn't bother me, because I viewed these ppl. as such, that their opinion didn't matter to me.

Like this one time, some kid called me a "refugee", I looked at him and said..."does that explain why you are failing English, and I'm getting an A?"

hehe
BURN

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
But you have to see that as teachers, we have to discourage this kind of racism.. We are obliged to report these lind of offenses as they are considered today to be criminal acts.. If they are not prosecuted what validity do we have???

Last edited:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Ok, enough of the political rhetoric.. This case is just plain stupid!! They're kids for God's sakes.. :O

Don't be surprised if this happens in TO.. 'cause it's getting that stringent. But a good teacher will deal with the situation and not cause the taxpayers so much money. The Judge was bang on (IMO)

ila

TRIBE Member
I remember when calling someone an immigrant was an insult in school.

now it's like, a prerequisite for sleeping with them

haha.

okay, that's enough information from me.