• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Proposing in NYC

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
So...thinking of popping the question in NYC... headed there in a couple weeks but looking for some ideas...

Id really like to do soemwhere outdoor, with a view of the city at night...not looking to make a big spectacle of it with tons of people around...but wondering for some suggestions of WHERE.... never been in NYC before so would love some ideas..

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
I have no ideas where. But just want to give you props and congratulations....Tribe is rooting for you!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I mean, the park is not great at night but it's only certain parts. I don't know about any high points in the park other than the lazing rock piles.

How about a rooftop garden?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
Fire suggestions away :) im more than willing to entertain some options... i just know id like to have a BIT of a plan before i do this ...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Another idea is not high up but if you go away from the island, you can get a good view of the city's skylines. The Brooklyn Bridge would be an interesting spot.

The problem with hotel rooftop bars is that they're always pretty busy unless it's like Tuesday night.

Best Hotel Rooftop Bars in New York City | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

Rooftop bars in NYC: visit the city

Forget the tourist places. They are packed elbow to elbow.

Another idea is to go to a hotel rooftop off the island like in Hoboken or Jersey Shore.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
The High Line at night looks like it's pretty:

But it's only open until 11 and it's a park so the downside is no liquid courage.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JoshuaReid

TRIBE Member
A lot of nice looking places...my only thoughts with rooftop patios is chances are it will be busy with patrons...

im not exactly into the whole making a big scene, nor is Chris. I would much prefer some type of park or even the brooklyn bridge type deal where you have city line and im outside ... it seems that most of these rooftop patios are 'go-to' places which leads me to believe they will be extremely busy... it would be on a thursday night too

kyfe

TRIBE Member

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Thursday nights will be busy depending on which places. Sometimes I've been and they're completely dead especially above midtown. Some hotel bars are surprisingly dead because most people probably wanna party down near the street. Yeah, if you're not a scene person, I would go for something more unique but some of the hotel ones, unless there's an event, are pretty quiet and dead most nights.

The High Line is really nice. I would explode if someone proposed to me there. Or on the subway crossing the bridge.

If you can access a friend's rooftop, that would be great. If you do an airbnb sublet in an apartment, you can go right up to the roof via the fire escape. I've done that many times with a bottle of wine and a flashlight. Amazing views from people's roofs.

Some of the ferries are pretty dead at night. They're just commuter ferries that go to like Staten Island. The shoreline around the west and south side of Brooklyn is super beautiful. It can be sketchy though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
imho: the horse and carriage through central park isn't all that romantic. the chauffeur is usually a dude wearing a tracksuit talking on his bluetooth the whole time. tourist trap.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I think it's pretty romantic in that cheesy way. It would be a cute laugh. But the smell of the horse would drive me nuts. And if the horse shits, it's pretty gross. I rather in the back of a cab to be honest. That would be my fantasy. Back of a dirty taxi, Indian music blaring down the West Side Highway, heading to a great dinner after.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Eloping and getting married in NYC's City Hall would be just as cheap and convenient as Las Vegas if you felt like being spontaneous and tying the knot and just making it official.

Marriage license $35 and marriage ceremony $25. Total $60.

City Clerk's Office - Marriage License

^My sister's getting married on Labour Day weekend. I researched the above and told her she could have saved a fortunate for her wedding. LOL

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
first off, congratulations!

i recommend either the brooklyn bridge at sunset, looking back over the manhattan skyline, or the rooftop of the Met (i think it is only open in the evenings on Friday or Saturday).

but be forewarned, you're not going to find a secluded spot in NYC. it's rammed with people, everywhere, all the time. that is part of its charm.

http://www.webmastergrade.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Brooklyn-Bridge-Sunset.jpg

The Metropolitan Museum of Art - Roof Garden Café and Martini Bar ($)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Ha. I doubt HE would care about Tiffany's but you never know. He doesn't seem like the type.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Are we congratulating him because he has the courage to propose, cause she hasn't said yes yet....