1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Proposals...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by KickIT, Mar 16, 2010.

1. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

So I'm thinking of dropping the question and have some ideas about what I want to do but I'm interested to see what others have done. I was going to go away and do it, but instead am going to do it in the city somewhere. No restaurant proposals though.

Let's hear your stories! :)

*c*

2. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Well we were eating some fast food takeout in the back of my car and I just got overwhelmed at the moment and proposed flat-out right there - didn't have a ring or anything.

But we did have onion rings, so I slipped it over her finger and then she was mine.

3. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I proposed to my woman by staging a fake rape and then pulling off my mask and saying "Just kidding! Let's get married!"

She said no, though.

4. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    I hope she doesnt read this!

5. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

LOL love it, but who ate the onion ring in the end?

6. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Wasn't that how Homer proposed to Marge?

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

haha yes... I am not married I was just aping the simpsons..;)

8. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

weaksauce

9. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Haha no she doesn't read Tribe.. she's always like "What's the Tribe shit you're always looking at?"

10. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I think the proposal should involve alcohol and lampshades. ;)

11. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

CHUCKY!!!!! :D

Steve proposed to me in our living room on a random day. It was a total surprise - he came home with roses and I thought "This is either really good or really bad" because he never gets flowers. It was perfect for me - no hoopla or hiding of rings or any crap. Just me and him in our little apartment and then we went out for dinner.

12. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I waited until the end of both of our bar jobs.

I finished on August 29th, she finished on the 30th.

We'd both been working in the industry for years. She left to go back to school, I left because 10 years is enough for me.

We'd been discussing marriage for a while, it was just a matter of not having any cash for a ring/ceremony/etc. so we were gonna wait a bit.

Little did she know is I had the money, got the ring made in Toronto, got my sister to pick it up and bring it with her and her husband when they came to visit. All our friends and family knew and they all kept the secret very well. I got the ring the day before.

She came home around 1 in the afternoon and I was sitting in the backyard having a smoke as she pulled up on her scooter.

We sat around enjoying the summer day and talking about how our lives were changing so much in the next little while. I was also about to start a week of holidays from my day job so we were planning on going out to her parent's cabin and basically just have a nice relaxing week off before school started.

We were standing there and I asked her "Do you love me?" to which she replied "Of course I love you."

"How much?" I inquired.

"This much!" she said while stretching her arms out wide. (it's a cute thing her neice does that all adults have to repeat as well and she does it all the time to me.)

"Do you love me?" she asked.

"Yes, I do dear." meanwhile my brain is going a mile a minute saying "Perfect set up! Use it! Use it!"

"How much?" she asks.

"Enough to do this." dropped down to one knee "Emily, will you marry me?" I choked over the word 'marry' for a second, she later stated that was very cute of me to do.

"Are you kidding me? You're joking." was her only response.

"That's not a 'yes' dear....."

So she said yes.

She then called her family and I called mine, then we went out for lunch to meet her sisters (pre-planned by me) then drove to tell our grandparents.

Came home to a group of our family/friends in our backyard with booze and we had drinks till the sun went down.

So a pretty great day all in all.

And we get married in 13 weeks!

Good luck and congrats!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  13. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

We dated off and on for about 8 years, followed by a very long break. She always said I was the one, and to this day, I often reflect what is she thinking. She has a great compass, compassionate, and inspirational. God knows how she knows how to dose the flames of my impulses - and its a good thing.

Did it over a weekend with a number of things planned that she loves. First off booked the super fantastic romantic and proposal table and had the tasting menu at Canoe.

They wanted to take my jacket, and low and behold the ring was inside, so I had to come up with something on the fly there. As we sit, the waiter comes by and asks, what we are celebrating tonight? My face goes flush, nervousness sets in, and I blurt out, oh, we are just here to celebrate our love. Classic Chris cheese sauce move.

I'm sure she knew at this point, no doubt earlier by all the questions I was probing her with before hand.

After many courses of amazing food and wine, I go into my speech, half rambling, nervous, and quite honest I have no idea what I said, other than going down on one knee and popped the question. It was a great speech, the one on paper that I had.

Elevator was packed on the way down from the resto, and she is still wearing the ribbon around her head from the Birks box the ring came in. Beaming and all smiles and kept hugging all the way down. Classic Bronwyn.

Followed by a great walk home, and chatting about our plans. Next day, a great brunch in bed, and then a tour around the Distellery District the next day. That night, Sleeping Beauty, and my fav place for steak and a tour of Trinity Bellwoods and a walk along Queen Street.

Im still not sure she said yes.

Good Luck, and Congrats, its a trip, wont all be roses, but its all amazing none the less.

Oh, and if she doesnt cry when you pop the question, thats a bad thing. Crying is a must.

14. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Here is a story about a buddy of mine with a weird sense of humour. He was attending the engagement party of a friend of his with his girlfriend. In the middle of the party he drops to one knee and pulls out a ring and proposes. Then he informs his girlfriend it is a joke and the ring was a cheap knockoff. yessss, guy. nice one.

15. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

LOL...how long did she keep going out with him after that stunt?!

16. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

What the?!

17. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

i know...it was an andy kaufman proposal for sure.
    the other ones in this thread are quite touching~

18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

My best friend proposed to his GF of 11 years (!!!) in December. He got all of her friends to come out, and he framed it as a surprise party for her birthday. Afterwards, outside the restaurant, he made like he was giving her diamond earrings (which she wanted). However, inside the box was a note that said "Sorry I couldn't get you the earrings. I know that you wanted them, but I know that you wanted this more."

Cue the drop to one knee and ten chicks gushing and going "AAAAWWWWWWW!"

LOL

It worked, at any rate.

19. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

IMO if you do a public proposal (especially with friends and/or family present) you have to be 1000% fucking sure he/she will say yes.

20. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I haven't rec'd a proposal yet, but I always thought it would be cool to have the question popped while on a hot air balloon ride.

Of course, that wouldn't work well for a woman who's afraid of heights.

I have a friend who took his girlfriend on a "tour" of their relationship - a day long trip of important places in their relationship, in reverse chronological order. When they finally reached the location where they met/had their first date, he proposed. It turned out well (she said yes), and they had incredibly romantic photos of the whole day long trip.

21. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

I proposed in the middle of George Square in the heart of Glasgow.

She said yes.

22. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

my mums friend shattered her leg from a landing from a balloon ride

23. Kinger

Kinger TRIBE Member

I got her dog to give her the ring.

24. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Some good stuff here. Keep it comin!

25. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr