• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Promise loses their Cherry Beach parties permit

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Apparently! Looks like I haven't missed out. The best part of it was you could just ride your bike in, park with your friends and chill out for the afternoon. Security and 20bucks doesn't sound fun at all.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently! Looks like I haven't missed out. The best part of it was you could just ride your bike in, park with your friends and chill out for the afternoon. Security and 20bucks doesn't sound fun at all.

exactly

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
I believe it is (was?) $10 for early birds and $20 after dark (sketch?)

As someone who likes/liked to party hard, and doesn't mind seeing people partying really high, it got to the point where even I couldn't handle seeing the bulging eyeballs, ring around the nosey and k holes.

Over the last few years I only would see the first 2-3 opening djs and leave before it got dark.

I know it's great to get publicity, but with NOW, The Star and other media always saying how great it was the shark got jumped.

orchid

TRIBE Member
~200 people x $20 = $4000/wk

how much is generator gas and an event permit?

I just have to point out on this one - I think they were getting waaaaay more than 200 people in recent years. Try 800. I could be wrong, but pretty sure that Cherry Beach has gotten HUGE.

I don't know what came first, the greed or the sketch factor making their way to the party. I think the sketch slowly started a few years ago, and they realized they could make some good coin off these parties. Now at $20 admission, well if they want a night club party, that's exactly what they've got!

I've noticed it happening with all the promise events and Harvest. I think the guys just really want to make some good money now that these events are succeeding so well and the party/EDM scene is exploding. There is an expiration date on these parties, I think, so now is the time to make the cash. Unfortunately, I think it's at the expense of the true spirit of these events.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Still I wonder if we aren't mourning a bit of a Lost Eden, i had a friend rolled for his backpack down there long before anyone was charging admission.

Is the true spirit missing - was it ever there - are we just getting old - whatever the answers, would still think the Promise crew puts more soul into their efforts than other promoters, even if some of this comes off as the standard pose of a more "alternative" type of parties I dont doubt their sincerity.

Maybe the younger generation are just a bunch of dipshits too. Its entirely possible a crotchety statement like that can be true sometimes! But I could also just be getting older.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Agreed that the #s are likely closer to 800. But they really are the hardest-working genuine promoters in the city at the moment. I don't think they are motivated by greed at all. If they stopped throwing all their parties, just imagine who/what would take their place. 'Corp raves suck'! :p

orchid

TRIBE Member
Agreed that the #s are likely closer to 800. But they really are the hardest-working genuine promoters in the city at the moment. I don't think they are motivated by greed at all. If they stopped throwing all their parties, just imagine who/what would take their place. 'Corp raves suck'! :p

I think it's naïve to say they have no motivations to make lots of money. Is this not their main income? They are getting older and maybe they can't do this forever. The other promise parties throughout the year now cost almost twice what it used to, to get in. The corporate raves are already happening in the city and on the Island. I think that some of those party attendees have discovered the promise events too, so there is starting to be a *slight* merging of the two 'scenes.' And now a promise party is minimum $30, usually more. I agree, they are hard working promoters, but to say there is no greed is maybe a bit idealistic.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
This should be a bit of a lesson for those of us in our "scene"... when organizers say, please no booze, no drugs may want to respect that. Must be hard for them to make their case to the city and cops when 905 bro-dudes and their girlfriends are overdosing on a Sunday afternoon...SMH.

:O

Actually, the promoters sold you cups to put your booze in.

Jay

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member

Seriously. Anyone who has actually met these promoters would know it isn't about the "greed". Seems so quickly everyone forgets about their cherry blossom events and other events they throw around the city.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Most decisions of mine have been multi-factored - so it must be true for them too.

Which means its possible to want to earn a profit (rewards effort, enables more/better events) AND have a good spirit about it.

But I think some people turned off by today's money obsessed world assume that once a profit motive is identified - all other motivations no longer count/aren't real.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Seriously. Anyone who has actually met these promoters would know it isn't about the "greed". Seems so quickly everyone forgets about their cherry blossom events and other events they throw around the city.

Most decisions of mine have been multi-factored - so it must be true for them too.

Which means its possible to want to earn a profit (rewards effort, enables more/better events) AND have a good spirit about it.

But I think some people turned off by today's money obsessed world assume that once a profit motive is identified - all other motivations no longer count/aren't real.

Agree, Pratik. Somehow making money for doing something they love, and doing fun stuff is bad. Suddenly Promise is seen as 'greedy'.
Greedy? Really?

I haven't been in years. However, Promise put on some amazing parties which were free for many years. It soon grew beyond their means and they had to start paying for clean up crew, security. licenses, staff, sound etc., I can't see them making much of a profit, and if they are Good For Them!. It's about friggin' time.

It was sad to see them asking for 'donations' that many refused to give because they felt entitled to a 'free' party. I had no problem giving them $20.
At the end of one day the area was a mess, despite people being asked to take their garbage with them. Some people next to us were leaving garbage and bottles everywhere. It was awful. When I suggested that we all needed to pick up our stuff, I was told to "Fuck Off! What are you, my mother?". Yeah, I was old enough to be. This is the mindset. Earlier on they were telling me how cool this was, and how great it was that Promise organized this.. Honestly, they just wanted to party. That is greed.

That was the last time I went :(. Who stayed late after these parties to clean? Promise and their volunteers (and me on that night).

You can create something amazing and still be allowed to charge for it. If they are making a profit doing what they love, after the years of pretty much paying for everything? Kudos to them. I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Maui

TRIBE Member
It's $10 cover. Not 20, never has been.

To me that is still a little too steep. I would be ok with 5 bucks, throw in more if you can. The party has become quite large and Promise were putting a lot more into it then prior. Lighting, visuals, lots of security (who they pay 20 an hour), medics, sound, international dj's...etc...

Anyway this is for sure about the Pan Am games and hopefully will continue once that debacle is over with.

Beings

TRIBE Member
Cherry Beach made my summer Sunday evenings totally awesome for the past god knows how many years. Now when we have no other plans on Sunday afternoons, instead of being outside, we are sitting on our asses watching TV, drinking loathing of Monday to arrive.

Kinda feel bad for missing out on every Cherry Beach this summer so far. I wonder if Cherry was put under a magnifying glass due to the PanAm games. Some bureaucrat did not want to be on the hot seat over it should something happen there during games.

PS. Thanks Facebook TRC for making Cherry Yolo duechebag central HQ.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I guess the Promise dudes could always pay more money and get a permit that includes a licensed area, but I am not sure that area of the city can have a licensed area. Or move it to the island or some other park where liquor licensing is obtainable.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I haven't gone to Cherry Beach since probably 2012, and only went maybe a half dozen times in the 5 years before that. And only once since they started having a cover/donation (which last I went was $5).

What I don't get is I thought years ago....there was no permit. There was just some sort of loose agreement/understanding with the local councillor and the nearest police district that as long as the party was well organized and things didn't get too out of hand and they shut down by 11 - they could just operate without city approval or typical event permits that drive up costs and hassle.

I guess either I'm wrong and permits were always part of it, or once the event expanded the whole dynamic changed.

Either way the fact that shit is now hitting the fan doesn't surprise me. Electronic music events have never been as high-profile, busy, problematic as they are now, even compared to the late 90's/early 00's heydey.

So it doesn't surprise me that either the EDM-Generation has fucked this up with wreckless behavoir OR the police just see all the other gatherings like Electric Island / Digital Dreams being ticketed events with tons of paid police presense, private security, licensing, permits and have decided that Cherry Beach / Promise has to fall under the same rule of law.

Which is a shame. Nice things in Toronto don't last forever.

praktik

TRIBE Member
And lets be honest, the scene itself is hedonistic, and demonstrably irresponsibly so, if we weren't then we wouldnt ever have heat

I dont blame the authorities so much anymore cause they've been chill the last decade. This is kind of a bed we all made.