• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Promise loses their Cherry Beach parties permit

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
If any of you are still thinking about going down to Cherry Beach, the event has been cancelled today, and i suspect for the rest of the year.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
shitty deal. do you know the reason given by the city?

they should get an online petition together and send it to the mayor.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I think that perhaps the drinking and drug issues over the last few years kept adding up to the point where it wouldn't take much to cancel the permit or prevent renewal of the permit. Also, the area is probably too close to the PanAm athletes village this year for the police's extended security zone perimeter. They have re-branded the bike path going there as the "PanAm Path' with new fancy signs, so maybe there might be some kind of panam sporting event going past there, like amateur speedwalking or wheelchair racing or whatever, or perhaps they will be using the cherry beach soccer fields for something.

There have been police cars parked all around the Cherry and Lakeshore intersection for the last week and that isn't directly in the security zone for the games. I suspect the police, going all g20, are extended the security perimeter as far outward as they can, not only to bolster 'security', but also to increase man-hours and billing.

With the games and all, I would really be surprised if they get a permit this year.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
umm they're still going to court tomorrow.

wouldn't confirm it's cancelled for rest of the year just as yet.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
umm they're still going to court tomorrow.

wouldn't confirm it's cancelled for rest of the year just as yet.

I don't think it is court... I think it is an in-person meeting with the special events permit people.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I've been seeing these signs all over Toronto now, "How to behave in public during the Pan Am Games", suggesting residents of Toronto 'try to say please and thank you', 'pehaps wear collared shirts', and 'pee only in designated urinals'.

praktik

TRIBE Member
When are we gonna wake up to the fascist tyranny all around us!

I'll pee wherever the fuck I want!!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I've been seeing these signs all over Toronto now, "How to behave in public during the Pan Am Games", suggesting residents of Toronto 'try to say please and thank you', 'pehaps wear collared shirts', and 'pee only in designated urinals'.

post a pic!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Believe me - the jackbooted PC police have already put us well on the road to ruin in THAT department

Just think of all the low life women haters who can't yell obscenities at reporters anymore without maybe losing their jobs!!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
This should be a bit of a lesson for those of us in our "scene"... when organizers say, please no booze, no drugs may want to respect that. Must be hard for them to make their case to the city and cops when 905 bro-dudes and their girlfriends are overdosing on a Sunday afternoon...SMH.

:O

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The City Special Events Dept. could just as soon issue permits for the space to someone else, for the same thing, or for something else. They don't really care, as long as the fees are paid and the permit conditions are followed to a T.

diablo

TRIBE Member
This should be a bit of a lesson for those of us in our "scene"... when organizers say, please no booze, no drugs may want to respect that. Must be hard for them to make their case to the city and cops when 905 bro-dudes and their girlfriends are overdosing on a Sunday afternoon...SMH.

I'm not sure it's ever going to be realistic to expect an event like the Cherry Beach parties to be booze- and drug-free.

Also, there are plenty of meatheads and over-indulgers in the 416 to meet any party's quota. Blaming every party-related ill from traffic to drugs to fights on "905ers" is misguided and silly.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
meh, i am indifferent, as much as i like the idea of beach parties with techno/house, i am not surprised that shit got to this point.. it is kind of too bad, but i had not been down there in a few years because it gotten to a point where it was no longer enjoyable.

I think the boys tried the best they could but it became beyond their control, and having peeps like Skrillex ect sure did not help the cause, cool, but too much heat !

On that note there has been some low key parties on the beaches on the west side, near Sunnyside on Sundays ;)

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am all about fairness so I hope that rather than close it off to DJ events entirely, it would be nice to maybe give another promoter a chance at the space for the summer, if anyone would want to do it, to see if they could do it any better.

I haven't been in years though due to the current sketch factor, the fencing, the security guards, the thugs, the cover charge, etc. The vibe certainly changed a number of years ago for me and for many of my friends.

It is also quite a lucrative gig that I am sure will cut into the Promise promoters bottom line in a major way, but maybe it will nudge them into doing other events around town to make up for it, as their non-cherry beach events are quite good.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ylaflm.jpg

'mazin. or should i say....'maizin

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure it's ever going to be realistic to expect an event like the Cherry Beach parties to be booze- and drug-free.

Also, there are plenty of meatheads and over-indulgers in the 416 to meet any party's quota. Blaming every party-related ill from traffic to drugs to fights on "905ers" is misguided and silly.

yeah for sure... sweeping generalizations and all that, innit? That said... there's a very good reason I don't go to Cherry Beach Sundays anymore... na'mean?!

:)

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I haven't been in years though due to the current sketch factor, the fencing, the security guards, the thugs, the cover charge, etc. The vibe certainly changed a number of years ago for me and for many of my friends.

Fences? Cover? Security? Apparently I haven't been in many years either!

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
It hasnt been the classic informal weekend wind-down in quite some time. Personally, I stopped going because of the cover charge. Paying $20 to be on a public beach was the only thing that scared me.