• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Project Maple Syrup

thom100

TRIBE Member
neat story out of the olympics ;

Canadian Press

MONTREAL — Members of the Norwegian Olympic Committee and its athletes will get a sweet thank-you from Canadians. They'll get cans of maple syrup after one of their cross-country ski coaches came to the rescue of Canadian Sara Renner whose pole snapped during her race.

Project Maple Syrup is the brainchild of a Montreal man who wants to thank Norwegians for helping Renner and Becky Scott recently win a silver medal in the women's team sprint event.

After Renner's ski pole broke in mid-race last week, Norwegian ski coach Bjoernar Haakensmoen jumped in, handed her a new one and then saw her slide past the finish line as his own team ended up in fourth spot.

When Michael Page, a member of the Independent Communications Dealers Association of Canada, heard about the gesture he decided something had to be done to express the gratitude of Canadians.

"That was a selfless act and that's the true meaning of the Olympics," Page said Tuesday.

"The coach knows how many hours all of these athletes have invested, he knows how hard they've worked and it was just a spectacular gesture. .it was incredible. He didn't have to."

Page said everyone he talked to thought it was "a sweet idea" to send the Norwegians maple syrup.

He is asking Canadians to drop in on any of more than 300 participating Bell Canada phone stores across the country and donate $2.50 to help cover half the cost of 8,000 cans of maple syrup. They also can bring along their own cans of the sticky stuff.

Capilano Labonte, a maple syrup producer in Victoriaville, Que., is providing the cans at wholesale cost and shipping them to the phone stores.

"Everybody knows the Canadian flag around the world and everyone has heard about Canadian maple syrup and not that many people, especially the Europeans, have ever tried it," Page said.

"I think that it's something that very representative of this country, aside from beavers."

Even the Norwegian ambassador in Ottawa thinks it's a great idea to send the pancake topper to his country.

"It is not a common product in Norway. .perhaps it's the best thing you can send to Norwegians," Tor Naess said.

"I like it, we have used it here in my home. I don't think we have ever bought it in Norway."

Naess, who has been in Canada since last September, also said lots of people have been calling the embassy and sending e-mails.

He said that as of Tuesday, he received more than 400 e-mails from Canadians expressing their thanks for the ski pole.

"I am surprised, for a Norwegian it was quite natural to hand over the pole, like we did there," Naess said.

"What is surprising is that we have so much positive reaction on the Canadian side."

Renner sent Haakensmoen a bottle of wine and Cross Country Canada has passed on its appreciation.

Page said Canadians who contribute to the project will have their name, address and e-mail put on a label that will be attached to the maple syrup cans.

"All dealers and Bell corporate stores will handle shipping and the remaining costs," Page added.

Page said the cans will be sent to the Canadian embassy in Oslo where the ambassador will present them to the Norwegian Olympic committee, athletes, volunteers and friends.

Project Maple Syrup ends Sunday.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
That is fucking cool, man. When I saw/heard about the whole "pole" incident last week I thought about how unselfish and what an awesome display of sportsmanship on the international stage that was for the Norwegian coach.

That, right there, still shows that there are some good people out there and totally summed up what I think the Olympics is all about...coming together as one people from all corners and walks of life and celebrating sport.

I think I might go down and make a contribution. It's true about the syrup, though, the Europeans LOVE it. When I lived in Germany and whenever I'm over visiting, we always give it as gifts to our friends or people we stay with.

It was cool to see after the race last week all the Norwegian fans at Pragelato singing the Canadian anthem and dancing around, just celebrating between the two countries.

billy

TRIBE Member
i heard the norweigans are just being polite and that they were expecting 8,000 bottles of beer instead.

seriously though, that's an awesome idea. guess i have to find my neighbourhood bell store. actually, it would be cool if you could make a donation AND buy maple syrup..because i don't know about the rest of you, but i all of sudden feel like having some.

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
billy said:
i heard the norweigans are just being polite and that they were expecting 8,000 bottles of beer instead.

seriously though, that's an awesome idea. guess i have to find my neighbourhood bell store. actually, it would be cool if you could make a donation AND buy maple syrup..because i don't know about the rest of you, but i all of sudden feel like having some.
I was thinking that too - that hopefully WE could buy some. I think it's cuz I'm super hungover today and am craving some sweet shit?