• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Products Getting Smaller For The Same Price

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

acheron

TRIBE Member
I was talking to one of our meat guys and he was saying that 375g of Bacon from the majors (Maple Leaf, Schneiders, etc) will likely be around $7.99 soon. Painful for the consumer but reflective of the pressure the big producers are under trying to keep the supply free of diseased animals.

... what interested me is that the price situation doesn't appear to be hitting the small producers (who supply the hipster butcher shops around town)... who are obviously isolated from the big supply chain. So I was able to buy a pound of fresh cut double smoked bacon from Custodio's on Roncey for $8.99 last weekend. All of a sudden it doesn't seem so expensive!

That said, small producers are themselves MUCH more vulnerable to this disease as the big guys. Maple Leaf can take a hit year over year and keep going but if a little guy loses his entire herd to a disease (and they aren't inspected as regularly, keep in mind), he's toast.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Lay's Potato Chips 'Family Size' 270g down to 255g

When I started this thread I noted that regular sized chips were 300g in 2005.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Lay's Potato Chips 'Family Size' 270g down to 255g

When I started this thread I noted that regular sized chips were 300g in 2005.

Along the same lines of chips, the wife and I noticed that the Tostitos bags offer different gram sizes based on regular vs multigrain with the multigrain having less grams of content and of course being the same price as the regular flavour.

Lobo

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
The changes Heinz made to Bravo Pasta Sauce are scandalous! They removed a quarter of the product by going from 680 mL to 500 mL

Not only that, they repackaged it in a microwavable pouch. This sauce was ok as a base, but the idea of using it by itself straight from the microwave with no additional ingredients makes my head spin.

Along with the manufacturing plant fiasco in Leamans Ontario, I'm so pissed off that I may experiment with other products.

1264204.jpg-cbd60df15e717a30a678dbb3947944f683b3a0ff-optim-365x460.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Two cans of bravo
One can of mushroom soup
Two small cans of tomato paste
2 lbs of hamburger meat
Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Red pepper flakes

Simmer for a few hours and you get a delicious, thick and meaty sauce. I take care not to chop up the hamburger meat too much to ensure that there's some nice chunks.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
First of all, thanks to the hacker who hijacked my account.

Now, on topic, why are pork products so expensive? I read daily that pork farmers can't sell their product... and yet basic hot dogs are now $7 a package?

I like pork! There are many ways to cook it.

It should not be so expensive.

-jM
A&D

kriztian

TRIBE Member
Swine virus earlier in the year decimated some pork farms in the US. In turn they began to import a lot more from Canadian farmers which made the supply next to none which in turn skyrocketed commodity prices which got passed off to wholesale than to retail .

First of all, thanks to the hacker who hijacked my account.

Now, on topic, why are pork products so expensive? I read daily that pork farmers can't sell their product... and yet basic hot dogs are now $7 a package?

I like pork! There are many ways to cook it.

It should not be so expensive.

-jM
A&D

acheron

TRIBE Member
Black Diamond Cheese Bars 300g down to 270g
Black Diamond Cheese Bars 500g down to 400g (there may have been an intermediate step)

acheron

TRIBE Member
Black Diamond Cheese Bars 300g down to 270g
Black Diamond Cheese Bars 500g down to 400g (there may have been an intermediate step)

Ah I correct myself 500g down to 450g. They have also released some new flavours, Gouda and Havarti in 400g.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I have a feeling that Chicken McNuggets have gotten smaller. 6 pack used to be satisfying but no longer. Maybe I've gotten more hungry overall.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling that Chicken McNuggets have gotten smaller. 6 pack used to be satisfying but no longer. Maybe I've gotten more hungry overall.

They probably inject air into the processed chicken meat slurry before forming them into nuggets kind of like they do with Aero bars.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper pledge to reduce calories with smaller sizes, diet drinks - The Globe and Mail

"Coke, Pepsi and Dr Pepper said Tuesday that they’ll work to reduce the calories Americans get from beverages by 20 per cent over the next decade by more aggressively marketing smaller sizes, bottled water and diet drinks.

The announcement was made at the Clinton Global Initiative and comes as the country’s three biggest soda makers face pressure over the role of sugary drinks in fuelling obesity rates."

------

Ok now this is a new spin on the smaller size issue. So the soft drink producers, seeing the same pressure from the market to keep prices low, now they're telling us they're trying to help us lose weight by giving us less product - the price will stay the same, of course.

Coke and Pepsi have already been marketing 8-packs and 18-packs (instead of 12s and 24s) for some time. The 12s are still around but 24s are difficult to come by except during summertime promotions. So this game is already afoot. And they have those 237ml six packs favoured by people on diets..

I wonder what the new tin size will be? Back when Coke and Pepsi were sold in actual tin cans, it was 280mL. They ramped up to 355mL with the introduction of aluminium during the recycling push in the 1980's.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Two cans of bravo
One can of mushroom soup
Two small cans of tomato paste
2 lbs of hamburger meat
Garlic
Oregano
Basil
Red pepper flakes

Simmer for a few hours and you get a delicious, thick and meaty sauce. I take care not to chop up the hamburger meat too much to ensure that there's some nice chunks.

Can we start a "What NOT to cook in the kitchen" thread?? lol

acheron

TRIBE Member
Silani Mozzarella Ball 340g down to 260g.

That's an 80g drop for those keeping score. This should piss off a lot of lasagna cooks including myself.