• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Production Questions

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Alright I've been toying around with producing for the past while like most people do but now is the point that I feel it is time for me to throw myself in to it.

I've been using Cubase and Buzz and feel I should decide on a program and stick with it to try to learn it as well as possible. Currently I'm leaning towards Buzz because it seems to be the program that I can obtain the most information and tutorials online for since its free. Plus Buzz seems to be very robust with machines for it coming out of every corner.

Have many people used Cubase or Buzz? Would anyone recommend one over the other? Or even another program for that matter? I'm finding Buzz to be easier to learn because I don't know where to start with Cubase.

Is there anything that anyone can offer some recommendations for a beginner? Are there any sites that are very helpful for newbies?

Any and all suggestions would be fantastic! Thanks!

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Learn Logic.

Buzz is a great solution to making music using only your computer. However, if you have plans to expand your studio to incorporate external gear you want to learn a program that deals with midi.

Cubase is a great program, it's what I use. But if I were learning from scratch and my friends didn't use Cubase (my source of knowledge to ask questions to) I'd learn Logic. It's better overall in most people's opinions.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
As Matt already knows, I'm biased.

Personally - ESPECIALLY for a beginner I wouldn't suggest Logic. Logic is very complex and complicated and it has an extremely high learning curve. I find Cubase to be much more user-intuitive and more friendly to learning what the hell it is you're doing.

Cubase allows all sorts of compatibility with MIDI, VSTi's, Direct X and VST plug ins. They're also the creators of what we consider to be modern day audio technology. They also invented the VSTi and VST platforms in which soft-synths/samplers and plug-ins are available.

Theoretically, with the use of drum samples found on the net and some VSTi's that are, err 'available' on the net, you could write an entire track in Cubase VST. Make sure you have Cubase VST 5.2 though. Any version that's lower is missing a bunch of cool goodies that come bundled with the program.

Buzz is more of a toy than anything. If however, you'd like to use a very powerful program that's similar, I'd suggest Reason. Reason rocks.

Cheers,
Jay K.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter

Buzz is more of a toy than anything. If however, you'd like to use a very powerful program that's similar, I'd suggest Reason. Reason rocks.

Cheers,
Jay K.
I think calling Buzz a toy is a little harsh. Buzz is simple yet can be very powerful. James Holden has done almost all of his work in Buzz.

Luke Fair's work is a perfect example of what can be done with only Cubase, Soundforge, some plugins and audio samples taken from all over the place. You don't need a $20,000 studio to produce good records ... hell you don't even need a $2,000 studio.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

LukeF

TRIBE Member
Word!

Less is definately more. It doesn't matter what you produce with. If you have an idea in your head, you'll find a way to squeeze it out of whatever you have.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by coleridge

I think calling Buzz a toy is a little harsh. Buzz is simple yet can be very powerful. James Holden has done almost all of his work in Buzz.

Fair enough. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'toy', but Reason is an extremely powerful program that fits into that category. Plus it's also going to be able to be used in CONJUNCTION with Cubase as a VSTi when they upgrade to 2.0 in the fortcoming months.

As per usual, Steinberg is pissing all over the competition. Logic users will be using technology that's still stuck in 'catch up' phase. Sonar by Cakewalk is the only non-Steinberg program that's caught my interest lately.

This is one of my main arguments for sticking to Steinberg products. They invent the technology and constantly develop it, not constantly copy it!

Luke Fair's work is a perfect example of what can be done with only Cubase, Soundforge, some plugins and audio samples taken from all over the place. You don't need a $20,000 studio to produce good records ... hell you don't even need a $2,000 studio.

Agreed. A large portion of my tracks are now done using Cubase VST 32 5.1 , Soundforge 5.0/Wavelab 3.0 and Acid 3.0. If I had a faster computer, I wouldn't even use my external gear (a Roland JX8P, Roland Alpha Juno-1 and Yamaha A3000 VII).

Well, I would but I'd use them differently.

Music-making has changed so dramatically in the past 4 years it's incredible.

Even your average rock record like Nickelback is fed through a computer at some point and has electronic elements to it.

The times are a changin'!

Cheers,
Jay

Che

TRIBE Member
Just because Ford invented the first consumer car does it mean that are still pissing all over the competition? No.

If someone invented something does it mean that someone else can't innovate it? No.

Emagic has just released Logic 5 and it is by far the most advanced Sequecing program out there. Maybe they didn't invent Audio Sequencer programs, but they sure have innovated them incredibly.

Kalemic, a word of advice, when you become a producer try not to have such a narrow minded view on products by being a brand whore like so many other unfortunate producers do.

biologik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by coleridge
But....

Steinberg just announced Cubase SX, you can find out the info on it at www.cubase.net

It stomps all over Logic 5. :)

Uh Oh. I disagreeeeee! Cubase sx is just Cubase MIDI and Nuendo Audio in one. Sure, nuendo KILLS for audio. I totally agree.. but Logic IMO murders Cubase. I used to use Cubase. Then I went to Logic. Then VST's came out so i went to Cubase. And now that Logic 4.81 or greater supports VST (and very well i might add) I haven't used Cubase since. The midi support of Logic is BY FAR greater than Cubase. I know both programs very well, and I am more midi oriented.

I think if you're using PURE audio, maybe Cubase SX is better, (or just Nuendo?), but if you're going to be using midi.. Logic murders Cubase.

Mind you.. going from Cubase to Logic is very hard. It's set up differently. But, after you switch over it's by far better. Ask all those Cubase to Logic people who switched over. My only reason for switching over back from Logic to Cubase was the VST support.. now that Logic has it, I won't look back!

and yes.. less is more :D It's better to be intimate with less gear than less intimate with more gear..

and that Holden remark isn't really valid. Since he's only using buzz like an audio sequencer. (like nuendo). Only using it for his FINAL sequence.. After each track has been mastered.. *shrug*

that's my $0.02.

:)
biologik
eric@protonradio.com

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by biologik

Uh Oh. I disagreeeeee! Cubase sx is just Cubase MIDI and Nuendo Audio in one. Sure, nuendo KILLS for audio. I totally agree.. but Logic IMO murders Cubase. I used to use Cubase. Then I went to Logic. Then VST's came out so i went to Cubase. And now that Logic 4.81 or greater supports VST (and very well i might add) I haven't used Cubase since. The midi support of Logic is BY FAR greater than Cubase. I know both programs very well, and I am more midi oriented.

I think if you're using PURE audio, maybe Cubase SX is better, (or just Nuendo?), but if you're going to be using midi.. Logic murders Cubase.

Mind you.. going from Cubase to Logic is very hard. It's set up differently. But, after you switch over it's by far better. Ask all those Cubase to Logic people who switched over. My only reason for switching over back from Logic to Cubase was the VST support.. now that Logic has it, I won't look back!

and yes.. less is more :D It's better to be intimate with less gear than less intimate with more gear..

and that Holden remark isn't really valid. Since he's only using buzz like an audio sequencer. (like nuendo). Only using it for his FINAL sequence.. After each track has been mastered.. *shrug*

that's my $0.02.

:)
biologik
eric@protonradio.com
I know many producers who've tried Logic but have returned to Cubase simply because they like it better ... and I'm talking about people that are MIDI oriented. Cubase SX is a big step over Nuendo, why else would the Nuendo users who bought it be complaining that Steinberg screwed them over with Cubase SX.

All of Holden's earlier material was written exclusively in Buzz from what I understand. Yes, these days he's obviously expanded his studio and his methods, but what got him noticed and signed was done with freeware.

What it comes down to is just use what you're happy with. If you can write music with Microsoft Outlook go for it. Who really cares ... good music is good music.

biologik

TRIBE Member
What it comes down to is just use what you're happy with. If you can write music with Microsoft Outlook go for it. Who really cares ... good music is good music. [/B][/QUOTE]

Totally.. I hear MS Outlook 7.0.2.1 Beta has rocking midi support..
cubase and logic had better watch out ;)

:D
biologik
eric@protonradio.com