• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Producing with a partner

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
ok so with about 30 tracks/songs on the go all in various stages of completion I'm thinking maybe I need to find someone to collaborate with as I have a real problem getting my stuff to a finished stage, or knowing when it is finished.

While I have worked extensively with other musicians on projects, in bands, ensembles whatever, I have never really worked with someone on tracks before. With a band everyone has thier instrument or specialty so there are boundaries already set but how is it collaborating with someone on mostly sequenced based material?

For those that do work with a partner(s) how do you go about it? Do you sit in the studio and work together? To you send the music back and forth? Is there usually one person that takes the lead on a track?

Basically this is a discussion on the Dynamics of collaborative production in a sequence based composition environment.

well?

Matt Carl

TRIBE Member
i work with two guys in toronto, and some not, so i find all methods work. as long as you is happy with the tune innitn?!?!#!EW#E

if i am with my toronto guys, i am usually in the same room with them, or if it's mad late at night and one of them sends me something, i'll just go to town on it and put both our names on it. def. doing the internet thing, you know? i find that works wonders...

and i also find yousendit to be a lovely little thing when you want to send one of the guys the track but they aren't around. atleast they can grab it when they want, and incase i am not around when they grab it or want it.

yousendit is God for that reason alone.

and i regards to whom takes the reigns...well, whoever wants to stamp all over it can. the guys i work with are very liberal in their track sending. hell, they could send over a finished track and say remix it, then i'll kill it and both both our names on it, we don't mind killing each others shit...but i guess that's the relationship we all have as producers (that is, my friends and i)...

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Wiseman said:
ok so with about 30 tracks/songs on the go all in various stages of completion I'm thinking maybe I need to find someone to collaborate with as I have a real problem getting my stuff to a finished stage, or knowing when it is finished.
welcome to the club.. i've got at least a hundred tracks at various stages of completion.. i lose focus quickly.

it certainly helps to have someone to push you back on track.

i've got a couple guys who come over once a week to work on choonage, but i need someone who is as obsessed as i am.

zoo

TRIBE Member
it's hard to know when you're 'finished' with a song, and when to completely change arrangements

sometimes i find i need to take a step back and come back to a song weeks later, whereas other times i can pull off my vision very quickly (within a few hours)

having a second set of ears (a second opinion) helps with constructing your music, but it also means compromise .. which isn't always in your best interest if it's solo work

i've collaborated both in person and over the net ... both are interesting, but i find collaborating with someone by your side is the 'funnest'

my best experiences have been when we take turns passing something back and forth, maybe like 10-20 times, and each time completely fucking up each other's style on purpose, changing things dramatically like tempos, leads, genres, sample sets, etc, and then at the end trying to take all that sketch work and doing something interesting with it

it's produced some really really interesting stuff that we never would have done otherwise

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
I do internet and live collab, and nothing beats live in the studio real time hands on dials (I was going to say "knobs" but...you know).

I find that sending files by the internet is more like you're remixing each other's works - like one guy will have 93.6% of a track completed but doesn't know how to end the story and the other guy will just put the finishing touches on it and call it done a la "and they lived happily ever after". Often times, we just change some structure, add some sounds, and call it a day. Programs like Reason where you can easily share files complete with sounds embedded make this so much more accessible.

The live collaboration lends to a much more organic relationship and learning, to be honest. The sound evolves more than drastically changes. Experimentation, "happy accidents", mashing of influences, styles and cultures, etc. occurs with higher frequency and the team members pushes each other in directions they never would have gone, often to amazing results. We often bring whole sound libraries on portable HD of stuff we've sampled, synthesized, or otherwise mangled. And that, in itself, is worth it's weight in gold because, for me anyway, the starting point of ideas for tracks is often just a sound or a sample or a riff.

I'm up for both, but the in studio sessions win hands down. If only for the learning from each other and pushing each other in new directions. To me, the process outweighs, somewhat, the product.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories