• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Procedure for filing a harassment case against a cop??

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
It bothers me that abnormal behaviour is so quickly condemned. Not only do police and authority often take it as an opportunity to "correct" the behaviour, but even individuals caution against being anything other than "normal" ... "oh don't say that, they'll think you're weird". Yeah, we wouldn't want that.
you're completely right. That's what cops are trained to do, observe abnormal behaviour, analyze the risk to the general public and use they're powers accordingly. The problem is that some cops themselves have a twisted sense of reality and of what "normal" behaviour is.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
^^^ Precisely... they are trained to look for abnormal behaviour! When someone is OUT of THEIR VIEW, and DOING NOTHING, they hardly have any right to handcuff that person, detain them... etc. ... there always needs to be PROBABLE CAUSE, and in this case, there was NONE. This cop had obviously trained himself to spot what he thinks are "gay retards" or whatever...

~atp~

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
In this case, the "abnormal" behaviour was DOING NOTHING, but sitting quietly out of sight and thinking. Nothing else... no hand flapping, no rocking back and forth, absolutely nothing... sitting, and thinking.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I absolutely must take this all the way... to violate a person's basic rights is the most vile thing a cop could do... abuse of power, so abhorrent...
Yep. I actually completely agree. What I was thinking about was this idea of "sitting" and "doing nothing". That's not normal at all... :)

Genesius

TRIBE Member
TMO, you should forgive and forget. He was probably a young guy, coming to grips with the conflict of being an enforcer for his imposed idealism and his sexuality. Being a police officer is full of parodox you know.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Vincent Vega said:
I still call "fabrication" on this entire tale.....
I wish it were. Of course, I may have left out parts, and maybe added some parts, for good reason.

But rest assured, there was a violation the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and I am not letting a piece of shit cop get away with it any more, since it should be clear that this is not the only time, and if it is, then he will learn quickly not to do it again.

kuba

TRIBE Member
timo- you're not going to win. it's not worth the fight, in my opinion. how many clear-cut cases have you seen where the cop loses? remember a few years ago where that black guy got punched out because he was black, and it was caught on tape? then and only then did the courts side with the citizen. USUALLY it doesn't happen. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, becuase if you have a lot of time and emotional strength, I say go for it. But you might want to pick other battles to fight.

TrIbAlNuT

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
there always needs to be PROBABLE CAUSE, ...
Probable cause is very subjective and vague. I remember when I was doing police foundations in college; we were given a bunch of benign situations that a PC may encounter while on duty. We had to come up with probable cause to interact with the parties involved in each one. It wasn’t a difficult thing to do at all, even though some of the situations were every-day occurrences.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
TrIbAlNuT said:
Probable cause is very subjective and vague. I remember when I was doing police foundations in college; we were given a bunch of benign situations that a PC may encounter while on duty. We had to come up with probable cause to interact with the parties involved in each one. It wasn’t a difficult thing to do at all, even though some of the situations were every-day occurrences.
Amazing.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
kuba said:
timo- you're not going to win. it's not worth the fight, in my opinion. how many clear-cut cases have you seen where the cop loses? remember a few years ago where that black guy got punched out because he was black, and it was caught on tape? then and only then did the courts side with the citizen. USUALLY it doesn't happen. Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, becuase if you have a lot of time and emotional strength, I say go for it. But you might want to pick other battles to fight.
I don't care if I win or not. This cop needs to be fucking shown that at least someone will do something, even if at the end, he gets off totally, and nothing happens. Something will have happened: he will think twice next time, and I will feel personally good about trying to have done something about a power abuser.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
p.s.: I have lots of time, and there is nothing better than fighting for justice to build emotional strength (though I ain't really lacking in that department anyway).

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
deevah said:
^ u know that this may put you on said cop's watch list right?
Looking forward to it. I actually WANT to be harassed now, for it will strengthen my case. I am, however, trying to ensure that I have a witness with me at all times ;)

chloe69

TRIBE Member
What parts are you leaving out? Stop acting paranoid, you can post everything that happened and the cop isnt going to call you and ask you why you posted the 'truth' on Tribe.

If its not the medications, why are you acting so paranoid?

By holding back parts of the story, you're not getting any sympathy, you really sound crazy.

i lix

TRIBE Member
"crazy" is subjective.

someone who has serious mental health issues usually doesn't have a well developed level of self-awareness.

as for paranoid, maybe some people have different comfort levels. not to mention that information transmitted electronically *does* get stored... look at the AOL thread for example. sure, this may not be a huge murder investigation, but what's wrong with erring on the side of caution?

besides, there's a difference between getting information and blathering about your personal life because you're bored.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
posTMOd: did the officer ask you to identify yourself or demand identification at any time?

contrary to what many people believe, you do not have to identify yourself to a police officer unless you an under arrest.
Whoa! Holy misconception! If a cop demands that you identify yourself while being investigated for a Criminal Code offence, you must do so or you'll be arrested. The cop will arrest in order to establish your identity. Certain provincial acts require the accused to identify themselves or be arrested, such as the Highway Traffic Act and the Trespass to Property Act.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Here I thought you were just a wanker, but it turns out you are also a mentally unbalanced, creepy individual taking a number of psychiatric medications who lurks in public parks at night, and is so incoherent when speaking that you are actually mistaken for being retarded.

I'd go further but it’s like beating up the retarded kid at school for something they did. You know you can do it, but would you get any satisfaction out of it?

Fight the just fight! Take it to the man! Great idea on heading back to the park again... maybe go to a playground next time hiding behind a swing, with your hands in your pockets. Probably just get harassed for minding your own business again.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
This cop had obviously trained himself to spot what he thinks are "gay retards" or whatever...
No, the cop didn't train himself. There is a specific course at the Ontario Police College which pertains to this subject. It's called, "Tactical Solutions for the Apprehension of Gay Retards." One of the field tests to determine whether a perp is a gay retard is such: lick his nipple while cupping groin area, if he drools and becomes erect, then you have reasonable and probable grounds for an arrest under the Gay Retards Act.

Adam

TRIBE Member
X_Door said:
then you have reasonable and probable grounds for an arrest under the Gay Retards Act.
The PC police took over and had it renamed. It's the 'LGBTQ Retards Act' now.

Genesius

TRIBE Member
Let's keep prompting TMO for more of his life story!!

*how did it feel to fail Mensa?

:poke:

I mean that in the nicest way.

Because, if anyone should pass, I figured it could be you.

Last edited: