1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Prince of Pot to be Extradited

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kyfe, May 11, 2010.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

this is very sad to say the least, for someone who has never committed a crime on US soil. for those of you that don't know Marc Emery has been selling seeds from his home in B.C. around the world, which included the USA, the american gov't had insisted he be extradited and today that has finally been made official.

Extradition order issued for pot activist Emery
    Last Updated: Monday, May 10, 2010 | 12:19 PM PT CBC News

Marc Emery talks to reporters outside the B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver in September before turning himself in for extradition to the U.S. (CBC)
    Vancouver's so-called Prince of Pot will be turned over to U.S. authorities to face drug charges five years after he was first arrested for selling marijuana seeds to U.S. residents, his wife and lawyer have confirmed.

Marc Emery, 51, turned himself in to authorities at B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver on Monday after his bail, granted in November, expired.

His wife, Jodie, told CBC News she has learned that federal Justice Minister Robert Nicholson has signed an order clearing the way for Emery to be extradited to the U.S.

Emery's lawyer, Kirk Tousaw, said as part of a plea bargain deal, Emery will not appeal the extradition order and will likely be transferred to Seattle within a week.

Busted in Canada for breaking U.S. laws

Emery was arrested in 2005 — following an investigation by Canadian and U.S. police — for allegedly selling marijuana seeds over the internet from Vancouver to residents of the U.S.

He made an agreement with U.S. prosecutors last year that he would plead guilty to one charge of drug distribution in exchange for a five-year sentence.

Under the terms of the deal, Emery is expecting return to Canada to serve his sentence, said Tousaw.

The marijuana advocate surrendered for extradition last September but was later freed on bail in November, because Nicholson had not yet signed the order.

Before turning himself in on Monday, Emery told CBC News he was hopeful that Nicholson would decide to stay his extradition after he turned himself in.

Emery has said previously that he made the plea agreement with U.S. prosecutors so that his two co-accused — Michelle Rainey and Greg Williams — would each be given two years' probation and to avoid a criminal trial that could result in a prison sentence of up to 50 years.

Meanwhile, The Canadian Press is reporting that a briefing memo to Canada's justice minister said a U.S. drug enforcement agent worked in Canada to secure U.S. criminal charges against Marc Emery.

The memo also said thousands of letters have been sent to government urging the minister not to extradite the pot advocate.

Emery said he isn't surprised by the support because millions of people oppose the idea of Canada bending to American will.
  2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

should've stuck to selling to Canadians. Once you get the DEA involved that's it.
  3. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

"Sellin seeds in my town? Not today."
  4. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

Ive been following this story off and on for a bit, and I didnt think the CDN Gov would actually go through with this.

So, let me get this straight, and a question for those that know more about this story, it's not illegal in Canada to sell seeds, but it is in the USA correct? And we're (the CDN Gov) is handing him over?

Tell me again what laws did he break here again? Dont our laws come first? Anybody else see something really wrong with this?
  5. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

he broke the laws of the US by selling seeds to US citizens.
  6. Chris

Chris Well-Known TRIBEr

No, I get that, but its seeds, I mean seriously, seeds!
  7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

He broke the laws of a country we have extradition agreements with. And the law was broken because the seeds were purchased from him on american soil. He may not have been there but the seeds were bought and paid for by people in America.

Agreed our government should take a stand but I'm pretty sure we only do that in regards to things like the death penalty.
  8. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

hang him.
  9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Yeah like Omar Khadr.

Plus I'm sure they'll make this fall under the new violent offender act so he'll never be able to get pardoned after doing his time.
  10. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

He could have avoided selling seeds to the US entirely, or done it through a third party in another country that does not have extradition treaties with the US.

He was asking for trouble from those crazy Americans I guess.
  11. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

I would've fled. Fuck turning yourself in voluntarily.
  12. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I think part of selling it was activism.

Hence why he turned himself in.
  13. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

i can't believe the justice minister went thru with this motion.

this is the beginning of the end of sovereignty for Canada.
  14. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Canadian Sovereignty includes selling dope cross-border to Americans? Seriously?
  15. derek

derek TRIBE Member

section 420 of the bna act of 1867. represent!

in all seriousness, he was kind of asking for it (quite certain even he wouldn't deny this). it's sad that anyone should go to jail over mj, but it's not like US regluations are vague in the matter. a threat to our sovereignty is a bit of a stretch.

i'm sure he'll use this as an opportunity to add fuel to his cause.
  16. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

We all know that marawana leads to gun violence. well, mostly by uniformed officers with assault rifles, and the victims are occasionally household pets, but still. gun violence. think about it.
  17. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I would think going to jail with a reduced would actually be one of the better scenarios if not the best considering his agenda. He'll have a lot of public exposure when he gets out. His visibility as a leader in this cause is huge now because of this and it will be even bigger once he gets his prison tats.
  18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i like to think that the convicts would be nice (relatively) to him in prison. perhaps he should view it as an extended networking seminar.
  19. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

They probably won't send him to a Pound-Me-In-The-Ass-Prison as he doesn't really pose a flight risk does he?

He'll do his time (probably shortened for good behavior and the like) and continue his crusade.
  20. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Apparently he is hoping to serve his time in Canada.
  21. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

So then, if it did it as an activist, knowing full well that he most likely would be extradited, or at least kidnapped or rendered to the US at some future time by Canada or some other country he may have been passing through, why is anyone complaining? As I understand it, this is exactly what he wanted to happen to make his statement. Rather, we should be congratulating him on his stunning activist victory.
  22. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

I don't really know this story very well but the activist ideal victory would have been selling pot seeds and NOT going to jail.

From an acquaintance that knows Marc and the issues well:

23. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

He wasn't selling any drugs. Thats the loophole. Marijuana seeds have been found to be legal to sell in Canada because they do not contain THC, the active compound that is responsible for providing users with a high.
  24. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

Canada's laws aren't the issue here.
  25. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

what i love most about that youtube video is the clouds of smoke passing by the camera's lens as emery is speaking.