• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Prince dead at 57

JamesM

TRIBE Member
RIP. Definitely sad news, especially because I really wanted to see him when he played 2 shows here last month on Good Friday (March 25). Unfortunately, I didn't go because I was bitching in the "Nobody Cares" thread his ticket prices were too expensive.

I've seen lots of concerts in my life. However, I regret to say I haven't seen the "two greats" Michael Jackson and Prince live in a concert. :(

Favorite Prince song that I often sing when I think nobody is around is "Raspberry Beret". LOL

Probably the closest these 2 iconic music legends Michael Jackson and Prince came to sharing a stage was back in 1983.

[YOUTUBE]lHaFj7gOWh4[/YOUTUBE]
We saw saw all the commotion outside the Sony centre, then later ran into some folks that saw it at the flatiron. They were like pretty much the happiest people on the planet.

Tough loss. I'll always remember the chapelle skit.

There's going to be a TON of stuff that's going finally get a release (I hope). Stories of tons of albums, music videos and all kinds of stuff that he never put out.

JuJuHound

TRIBE Member
There's going to be a TON of stuff that's going finally get a release (I hope). Stories of tons of albums, music videos and all kinds of stuff that he never put out.
There is like a vault of music sheets from his father's work and his.
Curious who holds the rights now.

It was raining here and in Minneapolis earlier today.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
the moment i heard about his death, i went outside for a smoke and it started raining.
Niagara Falls was to be lit up Purple today in recognition of the Queen's birthday.
Eerie.

Last edited:

acheron

TRIBE Member
Strippers everywhere will mount the pole at half mast this weekend in tribute. With the exception of some 1990's-era hair bands no other artist has contributed so much to the exotic dancing community.

Just about any Prince song is appropriate for a three song set, but one trio in particular comes to mind in my own memory.

Years ago my brother and I were at Stratford to take in some plays with our parents, and afterward on Saturday night we decided to visit the Empress Room, which was at the time still located in the centre of town. It was a dive bar's dive bar, very small, with a craptacular three-seat bar rail and an eight-foot square stage, no DJ just a boom box hooked up to the PA and dancers had to put their own cassette in the box before they went on stage.

There was a pool table too so my brother and took our beers and started racking up a game. Then this girl declares the table is hers and we have to beat her to take it over. Alright so we put our quarters in and she wins the break. So she brakes massively and then proceeds to sink all eight balls one by one. We're standing there gobsmacked and she says, "you can have the table, I have to go to work." ...and then hops up on the stage and puts her cassette in...

Her three song set: Sexy MF, Cream and her blanket number was Diamonds and Pearls.

The big finale came as she was writhing around on her blanket, naked... She pushes away the blanket and produces a bottle of Yop, which she proceeds to pour down her back as the song comes to a close. If I gave you diamonds and pearls...

Goddamn Prince you will be missed. So purple. So cool. RIP

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Strippers everywhere will mount the pole at half mast this weekend in tribute. With the exception of some 1990's-era hair bands no other artist has contributed so much to the exotic dancing community.

Just about any Prince song is appropriate for a three song set, but one trio in particular comes to mind in my own memory.

Years ago my brother and I were at Stratford to take in some plays with our parents, and afterward on Saturday night we decided to visit the Empress Room, which was at the time still located in the centre of town. It was a dive bar's dive bar, very small, with a craptacular three-seat bar rail and an eight-foot square stage, no DJ just a boom box hooked up to the PA and dancers had to put their own cassette in the box before they went on stage.

There was a pool table too so my brother and took our beers and started racking up a game. Then this girl declares the table is hers and we have to beat her to take it over. Alright so we put our quarters in and she wins the break. So she brakes massively and then proceeds to sink all eight balls one by one. We're standing there gobsmacked and she says, "you can have the table, I have to go to work." ...and then hops up on the stage and puts her cassette in...

Her three song set: Sexy MF, Cream and her blanket number was Diamonds and Pearls.

The big finale came as she was writhing around on her blanket, naked... She pushes away the blanket and produces a bottle of Yop, which she proceeds to pour down her back as the song comes to a close. If I gave you diamonds and pearls...

Goddamn Prince you will be missed. So purple. So cool. RIP
Prince would approve of this anecdote. Stratford, Strippers, 8-ball and yoghurt beverages? All that's missing is her telling you she's the understudy for Lady MacBeth

RIP Prince

djsubrock

TRIBE Promoter
The true king of techno. erotic city alone.
dope pop music
everything
i had a wish that he would come to my door preaching the good word cause he was jehovah witness i heard.
God bless
sr

Lojack

TRIBE Member
And TMZ is reporting he OD'ed on percocet a few days before his death, which necessitated the emergency airport stop due to the "flu".. Sigh.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
that SNL special was very cool.
especially that last video of the 40th birthday SNL gig where Prince took the stage and tore everyone a new one.
playing guitar isn't easy...but he took it to the infinite level in his performances.
he should go down as one of the best guitarists of our lifetime.
i can't wait for the possible hundreds of unreleased songs of his to be shown to us.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Good thing they didn't go $7.00.
Feel very ripped off because I paid $12 to see "Purple Rain" on the big screen for the first time last Saturday at the Bloor Cinema. I've seen the movie enough times on TV, but missed it when it came out in the theatre in 1984. Anyway, the 10pm show was completely sold out so the theatre added a second show at 12:45am. I caught the later one which was only half full.

Regardless, I'm still going to see it again on May 2! :cool:

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member

Helen Mirren at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.
This woman is all class...and for a 70 year old...HOT.