• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Prime Killed Techno

Winick

TRIBE Member
where's all the trippy analogue blippy head fuck, synthesizer programming (not stabby filtered chords: chung chung che che chung chung) techno. Now its all, lets see how many layers of samples, patterns and house tracks we can lay into a track and call it techno, and the younger crowd eats it up and calls it techno, and it was all sold by prime, or on their roster of labels, "PRIMEVIL! more like circuit party record evil". And now trance has found its way into the genre, rolly polly chi chi chi chi chi chi chi hi hats... There's lots to blame, but I hold Prime mostly responsible for selling that shit. It literally makes me tearful to surf through dexrecords and satellite and listen to the techno section. its been infected with complete and utter shit. Don't rag on my opinion because its only that but what do you guys about the state of techno music, not scene, clubs or dj's, but the techno music that is being produced today. Is it really techno? how do you define TECHNO music?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Winick

TRIBE Member
interesting you say that, cuz when he played here, everyone was so in an uproar of how incredible it sounded, the dance floor was an absolute steam pit, best one in years, and the thing was, it was pure techno, the kind that used to be produced and exist in abundance, that is now far gone. No one seemed to understand that that went off so well because the techno was real, and not the shit you buy today.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I would hardly say that one (now defunct) label killed the entire genre. Isn't the genre strong enough to stand up to one label? Aren't the tastes of the listeners and the DJs in records strong enough to resist playing prime material if they don't like it?

Or are you pissed that they DO like it, and that's how it's gotten so much popularity?

So this is you being pissed because the music you enjoy, which is techno, isn't the most popular with the so-called "techno crowd?"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ladd

TRIBE Member
^^^ no i think he's just generally pissed again. the only time he ever posts on here is to shit on everyone telling us we are sheep and dont know what true techno is. (which is HIS techno i suppose)

When i was reading his post, i was actually waiting for him to start talking about himself and his own productions and how they are far superior...

Winick

TRIBE Member
skipper:

its definately a bit of both... but Prime is an umbrella that housed many labels that helped bring this type of music to its current state. That redefined what the techno sound is for Europe and now, at least as far as I can hear, most of the techno events in Toronto where top name Euro and/or US DJ's get booked. What do you think of how techno sounds today compared to say, two to 3 years ago? what defines a good techno record to you?

Winick

TRIBE Member
"his production is far superior"

I got news for you ladd...

My production is far superior (sorry man you brought it up)

but thats not the point of my post, my post is a result of discussions had with at least a dozen other DJ's and producers who feel the same way, and who in time, once they read this, will ad their take on the discussion, its still a new post, give it some time.

But i don't think the techno i speak about is "mine" or as you say "his", its just different than whats on the decks today, and when I say today, I men right this second, on any website selling techno records (as a point of reference for people to listen to) so instead of pushing buttons, why not ad your opinion to the discussion, what makes an awesome techno record to you?

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
deadhorse1.gif

its true...... I miss techno that only required a couple of drinks, abit of weed and I would end up in a funky spaceland. it's all a big cycle........ winick, it'll be back. just are you willing to wait it out and keep doing your craft?

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
deadhorse1.gif

its true...... I miss techno that only required a couple of drinks, abit of weed and I would end up in a funky spaceland. it's all a big cycle........ winick, it'll be back. just are you willing to wait it out and keep doing your craft?

Fuck it was back a long time ago. Just not in the land of anal but freaks who pretend to be straight and dj's.

Go to Europe and you might hear some real music. Funny how Rob Hood and those guys have been doing stuff over there but nothing comes out here.

:confused:

Winick

TRIBE Member
Java:

That is ironic isn't it, but it was Claude Young who told us himself that grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. There's this elusive video (that I would pay big money for) called "universal techno" where Carl Craig is quoted as saying that it pisses him off how good electronic music has to make its way across dance floors in Europe before people here will take notice of it. On the flip side of the coin, I have heard some incredible production that tripped the fuck out of me, from people who have never a) promoted themselves or performed/dj'd a gig, or b) have ever put out a record. Maybe it still really is underground, just as song writers sit in the shadow of the Timberlakes and Beyonce's of the pop industry, good pure electronic composition sits in the shadows of big name producers/labels.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vveerrgg
child%20silly%20face%202.gif

WTF are you talking about.....?

YOur another one of those gay mofos to :p

NAwww just kiding you know you are in my good books of still the true techno representers.

SD you are along with Curt (but make some music) :D
Tom Kuo
and a few others I just don't feel like mentioning as I am to tired and hate to blow sunshine up asses.

:eek:

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
thas exactly my point..... i would rather just keep doing what i do... regardless of what everyone has bought into. because we all have been long enough to see the cycles in music. eventually it all comes around again.... its just a matter of being patient enough to keep doing what you love no matter what...... take breaks, experiement in other directions...

eventually the same forces that brought Prime to the forefront will want to hear something different. and then you'll be right there with your stuff and they'll be all over it.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Winick
what defines a good techno record to you?

I don't pick up stuff and classify it. I don't look for certain elements in a record when I buy. I wander into the techno section, maybe take a little peek at the house too, and buy what I like. I often come home and don't even know what records I've bought because I don't pay attention to labels or artists.

I listen, I like, I buy.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
I don't pick up stuff and classify it. I don't look for certain elements in a record when I buy. I wander into the techno section, maybe take a little peek at the house too, and buy what I like. I often come home and don't even know what records I've bought because I don't pay attention to labels or artists.

I listen, I like, I buy.

Thats the best way.

:D

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
RE: Prime killing techno ... what a load of BS that is. Prime made techno accesible. What happened was inevitable. People like a sound and they go with it. Obviously they connected with many people on many levels. Ripping samples from Todd Terry records is nothing new, its been happening since he made those records in the first place, and he probably ripped those samples too. It works though, and sounds good to my ear.

Like anything good its going to get overdone, and will try and continue to push its way through once people don't like it anymore.

The real TRUE techno that you speak of (whatever that is), is still being produced but is not being batted around by the same people that used to play it.

As for my definition of techno, to me it is an ever evolving sound. I could care less about 4/4 or chugging whoop de doo's, and analogue blippery. If it doesn't come together into something tangible that I feel then fuck it. Techno is trance, house, electro, jungle, ambient, the sound of me masturbating, fawk man its whatever I want it to be.

I'm glad you're confident in your production efforts, but I can't remember the last time I saw a new Format release. ...

odbx

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
It's just all rock and jazz. Hmm how many rock beats in techno can you spot? Just cuz its a 909 doing it does not change the facts.

how many jazz rythems in jungle. Gee I wonder?

Winick

TRIBE Member
thats ok... no diss taken, its true, no Format releases for a while, both Jeff and myself lost family members and it took a while for us to get back in the studio, but the post wasn't about me, or my label, its about techno music. Plus as far as I can remember, Todd was/is a supporter of some of the Format releases, booked us both at events, so it may indeed have been a kick in the ass for music more than a diss... Does everyone just wanna take stabs at me, and waste pixels? cuz I'll have my buttons pushed anyday, i love a good debate, especially with people who do support local talent such as Mr Todd Smith... or can we talk about techno, and what it sounds like when you go shopping for techno records online or in the shops?I could easily say, Kompact killed techno, but those labels didn't replace anything, it complimented techno sounds, but the labels IMHO under Prime's umbrella took a really poor sounding form of techno, married it with a really progressive form of house, and created this sound that has lost all its head space and ideals that experimental forward thinking artforms represent.

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
true true true!........ no dissonance from me on that part, and it's part of what pushed me away from techno. But lately i've been feeling the need to hear techno like how I love techno... which has made me get back into it again.

as for the future of techno.......

if Prime killed techno? who's/what's gonna bring it back?

JGirlP

TRIBE Member
Techno's not dead.

(inserting "sheet one" into cd player)

It's in my headphones.

Techno moves and evolves. Techno is the future remember? Techno becomes what we make it, not what it was. Techno has no roots. Techno just is and will be everytime you go to a club, listen to a mix or buy a new record. The Techno that once was in Detroit has become the Techno we now know here in Toronto and in Europe.

I don't know if there really is a debate.

Just get back in the studio and start producing those wikked ass-shaking tribally grooves you do so well and stop wasting your precious time jibber-jabbing about philosophical mumbo jumbo! Poo head! Go on get to work!
:p

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Personally I think techno is finally taking back its headspace. Here's all this music that influenced us as techno lovers both before and after we loved techno, a decade or so ago we married it all together in whatever way we could either by mixing or producing these sounds we loved.

As an analogy we have a return of the mash-up: techno/house/jungle rhythms mashed up with popular tracks from today and yesterday. We have a return of both industrial and 80's retro tunes, done up with some gnarly ass basslines that would've been hard as hell to produce without some of the gear we have now.

I don't miss the pure hard pounding blippy monotrax, we had years of that stuff. Overcompressed swedish techno gives me gas, and I'm tired of hearing the same tribal techno record being made over and over again. Perhaps this is due to my over attentive nature when it comes to techno. Probably but that's just me, I love hearing new things. New peeps haven't heard what I paid to much attention from 89 onwards. So while I used to complain about the drivel, now I just live with knowing that most peeps only hear 1/4 of what I do.

Techno ain't dead, its just laying low.
odbx

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
yeah i have to say i use to be areally big techno head - but now i cannot stand half the stuff i am hearing, as well i think i have just wanted to hear something different -. it is easy to become cloesed minded- as open minded as we may think we are because we listen to electronic muisc.
I am not saying i dislike techno, but it just does not do it for me like it use to - maybe it is because i have discoverd the beautiful world of house and fusion. - bang techno gets on my nerves very easily these days for some reason.

I think it is great music is evolving generes are crossing each other - i know there mush be a handful of you mofos out there that like the song toxic