• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Pride 2017

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Well I really wanted to catch Joey Negro yesterday, but the 3 hour lineup to get into the Greenspace made that impossible. The "letting in" security was not in any contact with the "letting out" security gate so there was no co-ordination between the two. What's worse, you would have had to listen to the pounding gino beats coming from the bar across the street for 3 hours while you waited. Not a palate cleanser to be sure. I passed on waiting.

Instead I walked through the zone for a while and was surprised by how similar it felt to Sunday morning at WEMF, people sitting down with their heads in their hands, garbage everywhere, glazed eyes, barf on the ground, random sketchy people without clothes, but also more corporate booths than a large trade show. I guess everyone must have been fresher and clearer eyed on Friday.

I am just happy that I got to experience the Prides from back in the day where there seemed to be more of a community spirit and a deep felt grasp of the event's meaning and importance. Now it seems like it's just a giant corporate and political spoogefest and another excuse to consume vast quantities of substances to maximize the vibe of the weekend or at least blot out all the corporate logos.

The three big mainstream news stories from Pride this year were that Justin Trudeau - taking a break from jogging past weddings and graduations with his personal photographer at the ready, walked in the parade, Black Lives Matter joined the parade without having registered for the event, and that no uniformed police marched in the parade.

The meaning of the event seems to have changed.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
that cant be something you just learned alex. pride has been just one big party with gay ppl and rainbow flags sprinkled about

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I went 15 years solid, Unity party, big stretches of the parade, events the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, the whole shebang

Eventually said Eff it there was too many Bank and Food service providers vying for advertising space, and I became disenfranchised.

/curmudgeon

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I went 15 years solid, Unity party, big stretches of the parade, events the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, the whole shebang

Eventually said Eff it there was too many Bank and Food service providers vying for advertising space, and I became disenfranchised.

/curmudgeon

^ this

acheron

TRIBE Member
I think the last time I went was 1997. How's it changed? I mean it was pretty commercial back then... And everyone pretty much partied together, only the Dyke march was separate...

My 13-year-old daughter went this year with some of her friends (one of whom is gender fluid)... had an awesome time, saw Justin Trudeau, all of them wore rainbow flags as capes... I didn't go because I had chores and gardening to do.../old

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Corp presence + Garbage: True of all large events really. Not sure why these are bigger issues with Pride than other festivals.