• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Preparing for a power outage with an aquarium

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
Any tips?

I just got home from my evening shift & the landlord posted a note on my door saying the power would be out from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

I'm looking after my ex's fish tanks & don't know if I'll be able to get in touch with him tomorrow.

I read something about unplugging the filters so they don't fuck up the tank when the power is on again but other sites are telling me about battery packs and the like that probably aren't available at 2 a.m. & I need sleep.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
what type of tanks, size, fish, and what type of filters? Some filters come on well after power outs some do not. It has to do with the prime of the filter. if they don't prime (fill up with water) when the power comes back on they will burn out the motor.

Mostly I would leave everything as is, but unplug the filter if you are not sure.. when the power comes back on plug the filter in and have a bucket of tank water (or dechlorinated tap water) ready to pour into the filter in case it wont' prime.

if the filters are aquaclear brand, and they are a little dirty they have a bad history of not starting and requiring you to take apart and clean the impeller and reasseble to get it going again

don't bother with battery packs.. six hours isn't that much time really... you could do a partial water change, after the power out just to be safe..

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
If you only maintain edible fish in the tank, then you have a source of food during emergencies. Something to consider.

Caz

TRIBE Member
unplug the filter, as long as it is freshwater the fish will be fine for 6 hours. When the power comes back on plug in the filter again and prime it if need be.

dont worry, easy shit

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
LOL Kazoo

Thanks all. It does seem fine. There's a slight buzzing noise that I don't think was there before & the water seems a bit murky but I was told to expect that.

They're freshwater tanks. Someone somehow converted old soda fountains into tanks & I'm babysitting them.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
the only fishy thing is that youre caring for your ex's fish. fuck that.
get out a grill pan and some lemon, and chow down on those babies
and tell your ex to handle their own pets!!ha!!

Caz

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
the only fishy thing is that youre caring for your ex's fish. fuck that.
get out a grill pan and some lemon, and chow down on those babies
and tell your ex to handle their own pets!!ha!!
word.

Lemon butter that shit and start the revenge cookout!

mgs

TRIBE Member
this sounds wierd, but in the big blackout a few years ago I just ran the fish tank off of my computer's UPS... the power requirements for a pump must be low, it ran for almost a day!

lucky1

TRIBE Member
THe larger the aquarium the more stable..

I'm surprised the water clouded after only 6 hours... it must be a small tank, or have a high bioload....

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Losing power on an aquarium doesnt matter too much.

Depends on the size, and whether its fresh or marine.

A fresh water tank losing power doesnt matter too much cause:
1) probably the fish aren't that "tropical" so if the water cools down to room temperature it's no biggy
2) colder water dissolves more oxygen anyways
3) if the power stays out for a LONG time (like more than a day) you can just add a bit more water to keep the O2 up, if you notice the fish getting lathargic

If it's salt it's usually less of a concern too, because marine aquaria tend to be larger... which means, though it probably contains tropical fish, it'll stay warm for a lot longer too. Also since it's larger it probably has lots of dissolved oxygen and the volume to dissipative surface area is pretty high. Probably also no friend would leave their marine aquarium in the hands of someone who doesn't know what their doing. Well, unless they are me. Stupid dad! Killed all my fish!

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Oh, just read that it's freshwater tanks.

In that case, just let the fish all die and buy new ones, cause all freshwater fish are cheaper than a UPS and the amount of motivation it takes to keep them alive.

-jM
A&D