• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

prepare to pay more for your natural gas

kuba

TRIBE Member
a while ago i owned a house that was heated by electrical. everyone said it would be too expensive to run. so i changed it to nat-gas.

now, this.

NEWSTALK 1010 - IN-DEPTH RADIO :: BREAKING: Enbridge asking to raise natural gas rates 40% :: News - Article

although cfrb is alarmist in saying it will go up 40%. it will go up $40 per household which in my house is closer to maybe 18-20%

still, a massive increase. and with all these homes so old in our city and inefficient the only solution is to gut and insulate the shit out of them at a cost of thousands

fucked no matter what

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
still, a massive increase. and with all these homes so old in our city and inefficient the only solution is to gut and insulate the shit out of them at a cost of thousands

fucked no matter what
One thing that annoys the hell out of me about this city is how poorly insulated homes are. It's not just old homes, either.

kuba

TRIBE Member
This has nothing to do with the Russian situation. Apparently the gas company didn't buy enough cheap gas to last the winter and winter was pretty horrendous. So as a result they have to buy gas at a more expensive price now. Hence higher cost.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Load of bullpucky. They are fracking ridiculous amounts out of Ontario and Sask...so now somehow because things took a turn elsewhere, we need to pay more for resources on our land that come from our land?

Sometimes I wish we were a bit more protectionist.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I don't think (I hope I'm right) that the regulator will authorize such an increase. They may however blend the increase in over time but not all in one shot

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
natural gas is also used to cool, so it long range forecasts of a very hot summer are true, expect prices to rise again come August.
Frack this.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
I don't think (I hope I'm right) that the regulator will authorize such an increase. They may however blend the increase in over time but not all in one shot
ya, i agree. if they do agree to that increase the province would probably eat some of the cost.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
This is the kind of reality that really grinds my gears.

First of all, with the relatively recent (last decade) advance of fracking, natural gas has been in, for lack of better words, huge abundance. For those of you who live on the ground, you've probably been approached be resellers trying to lock you into contracts for gas. The companies wanted to do this because they, and rightfully so, anticipated the price for gas to plummet and they could lock you in and step #3:profit.

Big energy companies like Enbridge thought the same.

Now it's not like natural gas just comes out of the well, into a pipe, and into your home. We do need companies in the middle like Enbridge to do some chemistry and financial dilly-dallying. But they made a gamble and THEY LOST.

The gamble was, they didn't expect people to need this much gas.

So now they complain "Oh, we have to pass on the price increase because there's such high demand."

OK: tell me whenever you've heard this:
"Thank you customer demand was much lower than expected so here is your $500 refund for the last six months of winter."

Haha. Let them lose money.

Oh and if they don't like that, then Hey Stephan Harper, stop letting these companies whore out our natural resources to China, Japan, and USA. We are more than self sufficient if you'd raise some borders around energy, where things are gonna get "pretty fuckin ugly" in the time around your (i mean YOUR the reader) children or grandchildren start trying to operate a house or car.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Heads I Win, Tails You Lose.
Yes yes. Take this Keystone Pipeline project that's got all kinds of politics involved in it.

Premise:
Let's build a pipeline from existing Keystone pipes to the gulf of Mexico so that it can be exported. USA, Canada, everyone profits!

The pipes in Canada are already built. The politics of dealing with so many individual states between Alberta and Texas are so complicated, add in their State Department, that this discussion could take forever.

Simple Answer According to Jeffsus:
Why are we so hell bent on exporting a raw material? I know this is Stephan Harper's territory, just move the oil and get some $$$.

Forget Texas, forget the pipeline, just build a bloody refinery in Vancouver or out East, just build a refinery to change the raw material into a finished good. The value add is huge and then NOBODY is going to argue about "hey I need some gasoline". I mean they do (or did) it in Sarnia and it was even on the backs of the old $10 bill, it's not hard to distill petroleum. This is easy technology. Why don't we just do it ourselves given our resources and foreign resistance?

I read what DFAIT and the US state department had to say and it basically comes down to a simple statement:

USA:> "If we don't do it, someone else will." ergo, no net effect environmentally.

I agree.

So we CANADIANS should be the ones turning a raw material into a refined product and forget about the USA or Japan or China or whoever else. And on the upside, we really would either have cheaper gasoline, or at least more of our own money in our own coffers.

-jM
A&D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories