• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pregnant woman says she was stranded after husband's arrest

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
A Hamilton, Ont., man alleges that when he was wrongfully arrested for refusing to take a breathalyzer, Peel Regional Police left his pregnant wife and their two children stranded at the side of a Brampton road.

He also alleges that police broke his wrist during the arrest.

Ian Hanniford, 37, and his wife, Kelly-Anne Hanniford, 38, who is nine months pregnant, said they were stopped by a Peel police officer around 11 p.m. Sunday night while travelling with their three-year-old-daughter and 13-year-old son.

The Hannifords said the officer may have thought they had been at a customer appreciation party at a nearby Jamaican restaurant. Ian Hanniford said the officer asked him if he had been drinking and he replied that he had not.

The Hannifords said they told the officer they had spent the day in Brampton attending a communion at a local church, and visiting with family at a barbecue. They said they tried to show the officer church clothes in the back seat, but he ordered the driver out of the vehicle.

Ian Hanniford said he got out of the car to take a breathalyzer test, but returned to his vehicle when he saw two other officers leaning into the car and speaking with his son.

When he shut the car door and told the officers that they had no right talking to his son, his wife said that five officers swarmed her husband.

She alleges he was handcuffed, put in the back of a cruiser and taken to 22 Division in Brampton.

Kelly-Anne Hanniford told CBC News that her family's BMW was towed away, and she and her children were stranded at the side of the road.

She said a police officer told her to catch a bus or hail a cab.

Her uncle, George Hanniford, said he received a phone call from his niece shortly after the incident.

“She was so upset. She was shouting 'they're towing the car. What do I do?'” said the City of Toronto social worker, who left his Brampton home close to midnight to rescue the stranded family.

Ian Hanniford was charged with refusing to give a breath sample, and was released in 30 minutes. His car was impounded and his licence suspended for 90 days.

He said he went to Brampton Civic Hospital where he had a blood sample taken. He said the results showed that he had no alcohol in his system. Also, X-rays revealed his wrist was broken, according to Hanniford.

Peel Regional Police said they are looking into the accusations.

“Professional Standards has been made aware of the information and is currently looking into the matter,” said Staff Sergeant Dan Richardson in an email to media outlets.

Richardson said Peel police “remain committed to being a caring and transparent organization."

“Whenever allegations such as these are brought to our attention by way of a complaint, an internal investigation is launched. Community trust is important to us and we will continue to work towards maintaining the trust that the community has in Peel Regional Police.”
Pregnant woman says she was stranded after husband's arrest - Hamilton

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Here is a more detailed version of the story.

Pregnant woman, husband left angry by roadside encounter with police
Angry
Supplied
Ian Hanniford, seen here with his arm in a cast, his wife Kelly-Ann and their two children.
Brampton Guardian
ByPam Douglas

BRAMPTON— A Hamilton man says Peel Regional Police broke his wrist, wrongfully arrested him, and threatened to leave his nine-months-pregnant wife stranded on the side of the road with the couple’s two children after they were pulled over on Kennedy Road Sunday night.

Peel police say they are looking into the allegations.

Ian Hanniford, 37, a licenced insurance broker, and his wife Kelly-Ann, 38, say they were pulling out of the McDonald’s parking lot on Kennedy Road around 11 p.m. after buying French fries for their 3-year-old daughter.

The family says they spent the morning at a local church, then the afternoon and evening at a relative’s home in Brampton. The stop at McDonald’s was a treat for their young daughter as they headed home.

So when a rookie Peel police officer— he graduated seven months ago— pulled them over, they weren’t sure why, but they had no concerns, according to Hanniford,

“He (the officer) said my mirror was obstructing his view,” Hanniford said, adding he didn’t understand what that meant.

Despite Hanniford’s explanation about where the family was coming from— including pointing out the church clothes in the back seat that they had changed out of earlier in the day— the officer seemed to think they were coming from a customer appreciation party being held at a Jamaican restaurant nearby, possibly because they are “from the same culture”, Hanniford said.

Hanniford told the officer he had not been drinking, but was asked to step out of the BMW and blow into a roadside breathalyzer.

He said he got out of the car, and was ready to take the test when he saw two officers at his car, one with the door open, “in the car”, talking to his 13-year-old son, the other questioning his wife. He went over to shut the car door.

Kelly-Ann said she was telling officers to stop questioning their son and that’s when her husband came over, told the officer he had no business speaking to the youngster, and shut the car door.

“All of a sudden, they (police) were on him,” Kelly-Ann said. “There were five of them on him.”

He was handcuffed, put in the back of a cruiser, and taken to 22 Division.

Kelly-Ann said she was shocked when she found out the cruiser had driven away with her husband and their car was to be towed. She said she was told rudely by an officer that she would be left to find her own way home.

“He said it’s not an industrial area, or a highway, there’s public transit, you can take a taxi or you can walk,” she said.

She believes from his responses that police would have left her alone with her two kids on the side of the road if the tow truck had arrived before her relatives came to pick her up. As it turned out, her relatives arrived first to pick her up, but her children were still in the car when it was being hooked up to the tow truck.

“He (an officer) kept threatening to arrest me because I wouldn’t keep quiet,” she said. “I think, had I not been pregnant, he would have arrested me.”

Meanwhile, after speaking to the sergeant at the police station, Hanniford was charged with refusing to provide a breath sample, which the couple say he did not refuse, and was released within 30 minutes.

He went straight to Brampton Civic Hospital, where he had a blood sample taken, and he said the results showed he had no alcohol in his system.

Also, x-rays revealed his wrist was broken, according to Hanniford.

“I don’t know how it happened, or at what point,” he said of the injury.

Hanniford has not yet filed a formal complaint with police. He was set to consult with a lawyer today (Wednesday).

Meanwhile, Peel Regional Police say they are looking into the allegations.

“Professional Standards has been made aware of the information and is currently looking into the matter,” said Staff Sergeant Dan Richardson in an email.

Richardson said Peel police “remain committed to being a caring and transparent organization.

“Whenever allegations such as these are brought to our attention by way of a complaint an internal investigation is launched. Community trust is important to us and we will continue to work towards maintaining the trust that the community has in Peel Regional Police.”

The incident has left the Hanniford family feeling angry and scared. With Kelly-Ann due for a C-section delivery on Aug. 30, they are also in a bind because Hanniford has had his driver’s licence suspended and car impounded for 90 days.

“I’ve never been charged... this is fairly new to me,” Hanniford said. “I’ve only seen this stuff on TV. It got me scared. My son is angry and screaming.”

Hanniford said it felt like he was back in the 1970s or 1980s, when, “as a black man, you can’t drive a tinted car.”

“There’s no reason to pull me over. I wasn’t speeding, I wasn’t doing anything,” he says. “I don’t know why I was singled out. I think the police officer made a poor judgment.”

Kelly-Ann agrees, saying it was poor judgment on the part of the police and that the whole situation was completely unnecessary.

“This is not fair,” she says. “We didn’t do anything. This was so unnecessary.”

She said when it was clear her husband had not been drinking— “there was no alcohol to be smelled”— the young family should have been sent on their way.

“I’m not going to let this go,” she vowed.

Pregnant woman, husband left angry by roadside encounter with police

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I despise peel region police and I highly believe this story is truthful based my experiences dealing with these fascists. I would love to say there are a few good apples but they are all close to retiring or working desk jobs and now they only hire cowboys. I know people who have gone through the process for Peel and dropped out because of some of the things they were being taught.

Peel is the worst police force in the province hands down, not even close. I hope this man sues them big and I wish him nothing but success.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
As people on Reddit have been going on about, settlements against police departments should come out of their pension plan, not from tax payers.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

derek

TRIBE Member
the peel force has issues for sure. they are known as one of the more corrupt forces.

they shouldn't let it go.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Why is a cop supposed to give a flying fuck about church clothes in the car? Christians don't drive drunk? Fuck off.

Now that I've got that off my chest, the rest of the story is a little messed up.

Tyler Durden

TRIBE Member
Bumbaclat, the cop is supposed to care as legally they are not allowed to ask for a breathalyzer without reasonable cause. If you think going to church is a reasonable cause to be drunk then you sir are confused!

Tyler Durden

TRIBE Member
I am surprised at the volume of blatant police brutality shown in the news, but such little blow back to the police. The sad fact is that our society is complacent and have given a green light to this crime syndicate to get away with what ever they want. How is it that the police always pay out in lawsuits but are never convicted in court? If a regular citizen committed half of the violence they'd be locked up. Where is the justice?

1) Craig Thompson beat down Video raises questions about police brutality | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

2) G20 shenanigans G20 summit report: Police violated civil rights, used excessive force | National Post

3) Keith Ryan having his skull caved in Witness in police trial admits he lied about not drinking | Toronto Star

4) Racist cops profiling Somali community Somali community claims police brutality in Dixon raids - Toronto - CBC News

5) The tragic and senseless murder of Sammy Yatin http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...n_stunned_and_baffled_by_police_shooting.html

6) And now the harassment this poor family have faced, and what is their only crime? Clearly, being a different colour than the pigs in blue.

Saddly, we know there are lots more that never get reported. How many homeless have their rights violated on a daily basis by these goons? How many poor minorities are victims of brutality, but to afraid to report them? The reality is that our police operate more like a mob than a force that is here to serve and protect.

Last edited:

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Bumbaclat, the cop is supposed to care as legally they are not allowed to ask for a breathalyzer without reasonable cause. If you think going to church is a reasonable cause to be drunk then you sir are confused!
Maybe he was drunk on the Holy Spirit!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Another rookie cop trying to flex his muscles. Cops like this remind me of those douchebags who actually take their shirts off in public spaces because they actually think people want to see their muscles or maybe a women will walk by and fall in love with them as a result.

Keep flexin!!!

On a serious note, I truly hope this family pushes this as far as they possibly can. These cops need to be held accountable for such actions.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I despise peel region police and I highly believe this story is truthful based my experiences dealing with these fascists. I would love to say there are a few good apples but they are all close to retiring or working desk jobs and now they only hire cowboys. I know people who have gone through the process for Peel and dropped out because of some of the things they were being taught.

Peel is the worst police force in the province hands down, not even close. I hope this man sues them big and I wish him nothing but success.
+ 1 million!

Lobo