• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Power supply woes

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Recently, I have been having a problem with my laptop power supply. I can plug the laptop in and it will either remain powered on the adapter, or the power button will flicker out and eventually go back to battery power. Other times, it works for a longer time before randomly going back to battery power. I noticed that the plug on the adapter that goes into the lappy gets really hot at these times (my computer tends to run quite hot).

I don't know if the adapter plug is just not being seated right, or if something's wrong with the power supply...The adapter *seems* okay, and I suspect it might be the port on the laptop itself, but has anyone come across this problem? I'd rather not buy a new adapter unless I was sure that was the problem.

BTW, I'm running a Compaq R3240ca

Microprocessor AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+
Microprocessor Cache 1MB L2 Cache
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB) at 333MHz
Memory Max 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB, 1 x 1024MB)
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go
Video Memory 64MB DDR (dedicated)
Sound Internal speakers; JBL Pro Performance; AC audio link; Volume control button and Mute button

Power
  • 120W AC adapter
  • Eight-cell Lithium-ion battery

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Sounds like a bad connection. Does anything look bent or damaged where you connect your power supply?

Try flexing the wire near the connector, to try and get the power to cut out. Your wires running from your power supply to the connector may be damaged; and may account for some of your heat if they are. Typically, the only thing that should be getting hot is the brick itself.

deevah

TRIBE Member
why not just get a new adapter and if the issue persists, just return it? cheaper than bringing in the lappie to get the port looked at

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
deevah said:
why not just get a new adapter and if the issue persists, just return it? cheaper than bringing in the lappie to get the port looked at
Lol! I'm pretty stupid. I might as well try that. Thanks.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Okay, I checked and the power supply is fine (took it to Best Buy and tried it on another machine).

I just ended a nice, uber-creepy online chat with HP tech support analyst "Alexis". It's gotta be the DC port or the converter inside the lappy. Does anyone know of anywhere in toronto that you'd trust to replace this port? HP referred me to a joint in California, but obviously I'd prefer to take it somewhere local.

This is the link they gave me.
http://www.laptopking.com/partpicture_LK.asp?ref=525&category=dcjack

Thanks for any help!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories