1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Power outage

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jul 5, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Just got back from the island and the boat couldn't engage the docking clamps for some reason. It is only when i got home did I see on the news that they didn't have power, and niether does a quarter of a million peeps.

We are OK in Leslieville. I think i will turn on my air conditioning full blast now. The tribe servers downtown apparently have a backup generator that can last 3 days so at least we'll be up.

2. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

3. peko

peko TRIBE Member

I want a popsicle but I can't open my fridge! :(

So happy to have access to an iPhone when Mod one got home. He said the traffic was crazy from north York towards downtown, and that north bound traffic was jammed up.

I think I'll go read a book.

4. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

still got power up in cottage country!

5. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Still smooth sailing in Mississauga.

6. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

did the power outage lock your fridge?

7. peko

peko TRIBE Member

Popsicle update: I had a purple one. :)

and the power is back one.

8. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Need better conservation measures or more transmission and distribution assets.

9. peko

peko TRIBE Member

:mad:
    no, we were trying not to open the freezer when we didn't know how long the power was going to be out. But, mod one decided to rescue the remaining Popsicles and the power came back on as I made my Popsicle pick.

10. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

lol... I kinda figured that, but you never know. Technology these days, you know. ;)

11. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

I'm close to the station so it hit here too of course. While normally I wouldn't care, in this kind of heat I was panic stricken it may last a long while < Yes, I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat. Thank god for bb updates from my friends and a good book.

I did the same thing. As it was a transformer fire, I kept my freezer shut to keep everything frosty in case it lasted a while. I have ice cream in there and considered having some, but better to keep my meat chilled.

Edit: ^^Beat me to it. Yeah, keep your freezer shut just in case. : )

12. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Got to walk home from Christie because I think this affected the west west end?
    I love this heat, bought icecream on the way home, and don't have A/C :)

13. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Not only the west west end. Shut down parts of the FD and high park area. A friend lives just west of spadina and he had no power either. He too had ice cream in his fridge but I think he ate it all before the power came back on :p

14. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

gods revenge ! negative energy attracts more negative energy

15. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

We usually leave all the lights on for security reasons and I thought it was odd that everything was dark. Then I noticed it was a little warm. The portable air conditioner in the living room was turned off along with the one in the bedroom. Same goes for the dehumidifier. Thank goodness my torrents downloaded before the power went out.

Hmm... I wonder what caused the outage?

:D

16. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^^
    teehee

17. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I went to Film Buff for a nice mango sorbet to celebrate the power failure and saw the hottest korean/phillipino girl I have ever seen.

18. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

the lights come on, the lights go off BLACKOUT at the flick of a switch

[YOUTUBE]ohBMX6EY6yk[/YOUTUBE]

19. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

picture.

20. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

Was just leaving the christie pits pool when the power went out and was glad to have avoided 400 people hitting the changerooms at the same time.

Power is on here, no AC anyhow but I did have some duck confit in the oven all afternoon so I'm glad that didn't get affected.

21. Metal Morphosis

Metal Morphosis TRIBE Member

they close the pools when there's no power? why?

22. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I would say avoid elevators during the next few days if you can; I was just about to get on one when the big blackout hit - so glad it hit right as I was doing it.

23. octo

octo TRIBE Member

If the pool filtration system has no power then the pool has to close.

24. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

The power outage worked for me in that i befriended a new neighbour and we went to cool down with pints.

We get along really well too. Big up no power for bursts of time soaked in beer.

25. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

I heard a transformer blew up, causing the power outage.

DAMN YOU MEGATRON!!!