• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Pot laws are constitutional grrr

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
Breaking news from CBC News Online:

Fines and jail time for possession of pot are allowed under the
Constitution, says the Supreme Court of Canada.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
wHY THE FUCK DO THE COURTS (caps) get to decide what laws are made?! Isnt that what the politicians are for?!

Last edited:

AshG

Originally posted by Hi i'm God
wHY THE FUCK TO THE COURTS (caps) get to decide what laws are made?! Isnt that what the politicians are for?!
yes well in this case, the court has decided that this particular law is actually legal(as opposed to a law saying that its okay to go around poking people with a pitchfork, for example).
so here, the law is already in place - they've just verified its legality.

which leads us back to martin.
he's clearly stated he thinks its pot criminalization is ridiculous and that he wants posession decriminalized...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
yes well in this case, the court has decided that this particular law is actually legal(as opposed to a law saying that its okay to go around poking people with a pitchfork, for example).
so here, the law is already in place - they've just verified its legality.

which leads us back to martin.
he's clearly stated he thinks its pot criminalization is ridiculous and that he wants posession decriminalized...
ahh so theres no real set back then! cool.

AshG

Originally posted by Hi i'm God
ahh so theres no real set back then! cool.
well, yes and no.
firstly, martin hasn't actually done anything about it, so a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, etc.

secondly, had the supreme court ruled this law as being unconsitutional, that result would actually have far more significance than if paul martin does create a new law decriminalizing posession.

the reason is because since the laws can be changed at any time, even if martin does go through with this, then the law holds for only as long as it doesn't get changed in any way(the next pm could go for a return to criminalization for example).
but had the supreme court ruled that the entire law was unconstitutional, then not only would there be no waiting period, but other subsequent attempts to re-criminalize weed posession would be very difficult to carry out.
that and other weed oriented crimes would probably result in lower punishment in court, even if police felt inclined to enforce a law already shown to be on shaky ground.

remember in the summer when they were ordered not to enforce weed laws because of the indecision in courts?

Aleks

TRIBE Member
yeah, same 'ol, same 'ol pots laws...

i wish they would just leave them the same, b/c honestly does the current law stop you from smoking pot allready?

with the new law that the Gov. was supposed to pass after last summer, the average person is relieved from minor possession, but larger possession, traffiking and growing penalties would've been harsher. which leads in the dirrection of the Us's 20 to life for traffiking weed!! <--wtf!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders