1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Possibly one of the greatest catches ever?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by *SiLver*RoBoT*, Aug 6, 2010.

1. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

[YOUTUBE]YaxpAkOWNM0[/YOUTUBE]

Decide for yourself

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

2. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

I think it's amazing, no doubt about it...top 5 for sure but I think the catch made a number of years ago (anybody have the link) by that minor league guy who ran right THROUGH the outfield wall to make the catch is the best catch I have ever seen.

This is right up there though.

3. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Meh!

The more I see it the more it wears on me. climbing a 5 something fence to catch a ball right at the wall...

Griffey would have done this 100 times if fences on this side of the pacific were like that.

It's good but I'm not overly excited about it, it makes me think of the Ichiro one were he climbs the wall hangs there for a second and catches the ball, thing is ball was never going over the wall to start.

It's still Willie Mays to me.

Best quote comes from the Mays catches as well. the pitcher that gave up that looooong flyball out to Mays was brought in to face the LH hitter, he then waited for the next pitcher to come in from the bullpen and when he handed the new pitcher the ball said " Well I got my guy out, now you get yours"

4. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I thought the same thing, Zorro. It looks really pretty but I don't think the degree of difficulty is all that much. I guess it depends on how you define "greatest".

5. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

maybe I'm not old school enough but there has been many catches better the The Catch maybe not this one but there is plenty to pick from that can top Mayes

6. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

7. StarvinMarvin

I looked everywhere for it but the catch that Jim Edmonds made while on the Angels vs. Kansas City was the Mayes catch x 1000 because he dove backwards for the over the shoulder catch

8. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

I know the catch your talking about...it was SICK!!!!!!!!!!! But, he never ran through a wall to make it...hahahah...still amazing.

9. StarvinMarvin

the through the wall catch was good but not close to being a top catch, it's just amazing because the wall breaking is not something you see everyday but the catch wasn't spectacular..

TSN funny enough has a Top Ten Catches upright now and Edmonds is #1 and I have to say the Gary Matthews Jr. catch at the wall was pretty sick too

10. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

I dunno man...the fact that he caught the ball a split second before he SMASHED himself right through the outfield wall AND held on to the ball makes it the best catch "I've seen" but I can't argue with Edmonds or Mathews' catch...this is a great thread...I'm sure we will see some awesome flashbacks to some great plays!!

11. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Let me re-introduce you to the catch again then.

Game 1 of the world series, game tied at 2 top of the 8th to men on Mays and at least 420 feet away from home plate.

But your right there are other catches, Reed Johnson last year, Griffey Jr running up the wall. That Met catch in the playoffs a few year ago in LF.

David Wright barehanded, Rowand breaking his nose in Philly, Devon whites catch and almost triple play, Kevin Mitchell barehanded.

And your right that Edmonds catch is one of many many fine catches.

Junior Felix made on hell of catch back in fenway years ago as well, and both Hill and Alomar have and Edmonds like catch down the foul line.

I just think because of what and when that catch was made...who knows even Mays say it wasn't his best catch and my guess is there was some Shoeless Joe Jackson catches that we don't see on the highlight reels.

But I'm not buying into this one so much.

12. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

Oh man, Kevin Mitchel's bare hand catch was out of hand!!

13. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

This and this catch only in the best ever. (IMO)

Mayes catch was good for the times, but really its a common occurrence these days. By common I mean you get the olde over the shoulder 4-5 times a year.

14. StarvinMarvin

I hear what you're saying Zorro but I'm just basing it on the catch itself and not when it occured and what it meant as much

15. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

Just not 420+ feet away from home plate.

16. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

true dat but when they start playing at the polo ground again we can have those types of catches again :p

17. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

you guys don't know anything THIS IS THE GREATEST CATCH OF ALL TIME!!!

18. joey

joey TRIBE Member

^^^ ooooooooookay