• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

portrayal of women 'addicts' in media

emiwee

TRIBE Member
Searching for some help here... specifically from those of you who are media/movie savvy (and I know that there are many!).

I'm doing a presentation next week, and one of the topics I want to cover is the representation of women who use drugs in media and movies. Does anyone have a suggestion of a movie clip (or news clip that might be accessible somewhere) that shows a stereotypical representation of women who use drugs? Specifically, I'd like something that either shows the "junkie/whore" stereotype, or the "dependent on men for drugs" stereotype.

Any help would be so very very appreciated!!

Thanks!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

diablo

TRIBE Member
Those poor junkies are so unfairly portrayed.

I mean, the media practically make their lifestyle look undesirable! :eek:

:rolleyes:

Smiley Jo

TRIBE Member
The girl in "Traffic".
Although she turns herself around fairly quickly.

SJ
m-bo.gif

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Alita

TRIBE Member
CBC did a documentary on heroin addicts awhile ago. It's not fiction, but there were a few women addicts they focused on. It'd be a good thing to compare with hollywood movies. You could probably find out more about it on the CBC wesite.

emiwee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by diablo
Those poor junkies are so unfairly portrayed.

I mean, the media practically make their lifestyle look undesirable! :eek:

:rolleyes:

I so was not looking for some smart-ass reply. Did I make a judgement as to whether the portrayals were accurate/justified/correct? Nope, I asked for 'stereotypical' representations.

Thanks for your help. :)

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by emiwee
What is this one?

This movie is a stark portrayal of life among a group of heroin addicts who hang out in "Needle Park" in New York city. Played against this setting is a low-key love story between Bobby, a young addict and small-time hustler, and Helen, a homeless girl who finds in her relationship with Bobby the stability she craves. She becomes addicted too, and life goes downhill for them both as their addiction deepens, eventually leading to a series of betrayals. But, in spite of it all, the relationship between Bobby and Helen endures.

emiwee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
This movie is a stark portrayal of life among a group of heroin addicts who hang out in "Needle Park" in New York city. Played against this setting is a low-key love story between Bobby, a young addict and small-time hustler, and Helen, a homeless girl who finds in her relationship with Bobby the stability she craves. She becomes addicted too, and life goes downhill for them both as their addiction deepens, eventually leading to a series of betrayals. But, in spite of it all, the relationship between Bobby and Helen endures.

Thanks so much for this lead!

I'm going to rent this one and have a look, but it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone else too!

sk8

TRIBE Member
if you are looking for TV ones:

law and order often deals with this subject. i remember one in particular with a girl named dawn.

also one where a mom owed a bunch to a dealer and made her son work for him...or something like that.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
where the day takes you

A group of teen-age runaways try to survive in the streets of Los Angeles. Drugs, prostitution, violence and bureaucratic indifference all pose threats to the kids, who nevertheless prefer this harsh life to going back to their families