• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Porter Airlines says Toronto/New York flights this April

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
I just priced two tickets for a weekend visit to nyc in may for my neice's first birthday. the total was around $1000, return. the savings aren't that great but going to the island would be soooooo much more convenient.

tim patrick

TRIBE Member
le bricoleur said:
I just priced two tickets for a weekend visit to nyc in may for my neice's first birthday. the total was around $1000, return. the savings aren't that great but going to the island would be soooooo much more convenient.
what savings? Flying Air Canada would cost 500-600 max. You'd be essentially spending an extra 400-500 to fly out of the island and on an inferior plane.

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
tim patrick said:
what savings? Flying Air Canada would cost 500-600 max. You'd be essentially spending an extra 400-500 to fly out of the island and on an inferior plane.
I was pricing two ticket. 500 x 2 = 1000

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
tim patrick said:

actually Tim.. the planes that porter stack up pretty well against many regional jets for shorter trips. Plus they're pretty fuel efficient as far as planes go. plus they're made by bombardier! canadian planes yo!

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
the only down side of flying porter, or any carrier other than Air Canada, would be that I wouldn't be able to watch episodes of Arrested Development on the individual, back-of-the-head-rest monitors.

tim patrick

TRIBE Member
ev said:
actually Tim.. the planes that porter stack up pretty well against many regional jets for shorter trips. Plus they're pretty fuel efficient as far as planes go. plus they're made by bombardier! canadian planes yo!
I am a fan of Bombardier. I had the privilege to be on an inaugural flight on a CRJ705 just delivered to AC a couple years ago. However, we are talking about the Q400 and a potentially faulty landing gear design.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
eLeKTRon said:
The last I heard - officially - was that they were trying to get financing for an expanded fleet of the dash 8-400's. But those planes have been having landing gear troubles and I wondered if that might scotch their expansion plans.
I worked in a machine shop many years ago that made all kinds of aircraft parts mainly for dash 7 and 8's. I do remember when they got another contract and it was for landing gear and they had machined about 150 and they were finding them out of tolerance. What did they do? Yep that's right! place them in a vice and hammer away until they bent it within tolerance. Now thats quality!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Has anyone ever found that the price of their flights fluctuate regularly? Earlier today, one flight I was looking at was $79 then later this evening it was $119. Should I expect this to stay at $119 now and book ASAP before it might go up again?

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
wayne bradbury said:
I worked in a machine shop many years ago that made all kinds of aircraft parts mainly for dash 7 and 8's. I do remember when they got another contract and it was for landing gear and they had machined about 150 and they were finding them out of tolerance. What did they do? Yep that's right! place them in a vice and hammer away until they bent it within tolerance. Now thats quality!
The tolerances are set by the designer and contracted to the machine shop. If the machine shop screws up and does shoddy work how in the manufacturer to blame?

The Q400 is a decent puddle jumper. Having flown a fair bit on Porter I can say three things stand out:

1. Landing at Island saves approximately 2-4 hours of fucking around that is required when you fly in/out of Pearson. My last trip I had dinner downtown at 6 that wrapped up at 8:30 and was easily on my flight out at 9:30.

2. The planes are comfortable - I think they are using a 34" seat pitch which means I can stretch out without problem.

3. Customer service rocks. I flew AC Vancouver last month, my first AC flight in a while. I was boggled by how bad the customer service was. Porter has nice amenities: the lounge, snacks, drinks, friendly (and often attractive) staff versus the no-frills, fuck-off-and-die attitude doled out by grizzled, miserable fucks manning the counter and crew on AC.

lok

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
Has anyone ever found that the price of their flights fluctuate regularly? Earlier today, one flight I was looking at was $79 then later this evening it was $119. Should I expect this to stay at $119 now and book ASAP before it might go up again?
The prices fluctuate depending on availability. If you book a month+ in advance you'll get the cheapest rate (which judging from the $79 price tag must be Montreal)

GIJill

TRIBE Member
3. Customer service rocks. I flew AC Vancouver last month, my first AC flight in a while. I was boggled by how bad the customer service was. Porter has nice amenities: the lounge, snacks, drinks, friendly (and often attractive) staff versus the no-frills, fuck-off-and-die attitude doled out by grizzled, miserable fucks manning the counter and crew on AC.
This cemented my decision to fly with Porter to NYC for a chicks w/e in May.
LOL.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Flew Porter to Montreal a few months back. It was wicked. Easy to get to, through security and on the plane in under 5 minutes, great service, only cost $250 and i didn't have to pay $65 each way on a cab to get to and from pearson!

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
+1 porter. did you know the last train from ottawa to toronto on a weekday is 6pm - wtf.
so we took a flight on porter. great customer service, nice to get in and out of an airport with ease.

once they even let my boss leave the plane to go back to her car to get her purse.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
use them for their routes to NYC (well, newark. but close enough...), chicago, and montreal. Waaay better than AC, no question.

silver1

TRIBE Member
- Free Beer and Wine on the flights
- Free "meal" (yogurt and muffin for breakfast, sandwhich & snack at other times)
- Way more leg room
- downtown location easily accessed by TTC or via Porter Shuttle from Union
- 30 minute check in vs. 60 min. at Pearson with the mentioned fast security checks and 5 minute boarding time.
- Lounge at the airport with free coffee, water, juice, pop, snacks etc.
- uber friendly staff

all for pretty much the same price as an AC flight to Ottawa, Montreal, New York, Chicago..........

There is absolutely no reason to fly AC to any of those destinations from Toronto.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
"Just minutes from downtown"

ha

Personally I like MESABA AIRLINES to Detroit. So dumpy, so classless. At least there are lots of hot phillipinos on their way via Nagoya.

mmmm philipino....

-jM
A&D

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Porter is so awesome! I have flown them many times for business and personal and must say they are organized, friendly/helpful, not expensive and convenient. I will fly them any chance i get.

And apparently they are starting flights to halifax like once a week (so maybe they're testing it out to see if it's a busy enough route to add to their destinations).

Mephisto

TRIBE Member
LGA = la guardia = la guaranteed delays

if i'm airlining into nyc i actually prefer newark since you can hop on the NJT and be at grand central transferring to the subway in 30-40mins to get where you're going.

+1 for porter