• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Politics Nobody Cares

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
It’s a mystery how the Liberals are encouraging innovation and helping the middle class: Paul Wells | Toronto Star

Wednesday’s budget will be about the middle class and innovation. Maybe it’ll even be helpful! That would be nice. Unfortunately, the Trudeau government’s handling of both files so far has left them in something close to a shambles.

I wrote here, somewhat quizzical, after Social Development Minister Jean-Yves Duclos gave a presentation to reporters about “The State of the Middle Class.” In retrospect, I was probably too kind.

When a tenured academic turned senior cabinet minister delivers a presentation on the middle class that (a) never defines the term “middle class”; (b) never depicts the effects of the government’s actions to date on the plight of the middle class, however you want to define it; (c) offers no hint about future efforts to help the middle class — well, that’s a fiasco.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
It’s never too early to teach young people how to manage their money: Editorial | Toronto Star

nice spin right there. never too early but clearly way too late.

here is another article on it
Ontario's students are financially illiterate

PC MPP Vic Fedelli recognized financial literacy was so lacking in the school system, he introduced a private member’s bill — the Financial Literacy for Students Act, 2016 — that would make a Grade 10 course in money management mandatory for Ontario students to graduate.

She adds that $142,000 has been budgeted to support the 29 pilots (or about $5,000 per pilot.)
wow, a whole 142 grand to figure out how to teach financial literacy. millions for everything, except how to teach kids how to balance a budget or even make a budget.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Except walking back from putting a price on carbon is bad for the economy and our ability to reduce the costs that will be imposed on us with global warming.

Very sad that climate policy has been politicized, but I blame everyone for this - once being for the environment became a thing "for the left", conservatives would automatically come to see smart climate policy as "of the left" and push back. Thats not just conservatives being tribal but also lefties, who were only too happy to try and claim environmental progress as a "leftie" thing. They caused the reaction we are seeing, in part. Now a PC leader in Ontario is incentivized to walk back smart climate policy as a sop to a conservative base steeped in the tribalization of environmental policy and who come to see it as a zero sum game that always hurts the economy to help the environment.

In any event, carbon taxes can be a very conservative thing too - would love a PC leader in Ontario who would recognize what these guys did: The conservative case for a carbon tax and dividends | Commentary | Dallas News

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
what the liberals are forcing on us doesnt help anyone but their friends. you must be able to see that. you went on and on about how bc had a revenue nuetral program til it was pointed out it wasnt then you went on a spree of bafflegab and baloney never once answering the question when the answer was handed to you. sorry if i dont take you seriously on this praktik. not one of the schemes any of the politicians in this country has come up with will do squat other than raise the prices on everything. still waiting for that huge influx of green jobs we were promised when mcguilty introduced his green shit, eerrr, shift.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Since 2005, Mount Polley Mining Corp and Imperial Metals Corp have donated $195,010 to British Columbia’s ruling B.C. Liberal party.

there you have it
You are aware that Imperial Metals donates to all 3 parties, that their contribution levels are weighted toward the party in power and that this is the same bullshit tactic employed by most corporations, right?

...and while I will not defend any level of this nonsense, your partial data is disingenuous. What you're saying here is that it takes about $16,000 a year for the Libs to turn a blind eye. Want me to roll out some figures from the Harper Ages? Half-facts don't ever make a whole story.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
that is just the corp. i bet if you dig deeper you will see lots of employees who donated then were reimbursed by their employer. something companies were doing to get around the so called rules they have in bc.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
that is just the corp. i bet if you dig deeper you will see lots of employees who donated then were reimbursed by their employer. something companies were doing to get around the so called rules they have in bc.
Second verse, same as the first. None of this is new. None of this is partisan. All parties concerned are guilty. This is not about corruption under a flag or logo. This is about the gross, general corruption that permeates the system, as a whole. See the ass-backward judicial rulings that define corporations as individuals under the Charter ('82), the gross nepotism and regulatory tinkering... JT is just the current dunk tank resident. Make no bones about it - your anger and frustration are warranted. It's just that you're pointing a half-cocked gun at the wrong target.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
um, this was about the bc liberals. they have been dogged for a long time about their shady fund raising practices, not to mention the liberal party paying christy on top of her premier pay. they have done pretty much nothing to change it. this is just an example of what filling a parties coffers will buy you in bc at the moment. the guy who lent duffy the 90 grand was told to fall on his sword and was turfed, i dont ever see anyone from a liberal party ever getting into trouble. they ont liberals are under 2 different investigations that are going to trial and no one has even been reprimanded ffs. the one broad whos bf wiped the computers was working for the freaking bc liberals when it came out they were going to pursue charges ffs.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
um, this was about the bc liberals. they have been dogged for a long time about their shady fund raising practices, not to mention the liberal party paying christy on top of her premier pay. they have done pretty much nothing to change it. this is just an example of what filling a parties coffers will buy you in bc at the moment. the guy who lent duffy the 90 grand was told to fall on his sword and was turfed, i dont ever see anyone from a liberal party ever getting into trouble. they ont liberals are under 2 different investigations that are going to trial and no one has even been reprimanded ffs. the one broad whos bf wiped the computers was working for the freaking bc liberals when it came out they were going to pursue charges ffs.
I share your sentiment amigo. There's no part of what you're stating here that I don't agree with. ...but your loathing has you so riled up that you're hurling handfuls of pebbles at a mountain. More important than the "what" is the "why". Focus.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
well, champ. it seems to be a theme with canadian liberal parties. maybe you havent noticed. are you new to the country? i remember lots of bold promises and claims then they get the power and shazam! up in smoke...and sadly, not legalized pot smoke(i think they promised legalized weed 3 times now)

praktik

TRIBE Member
well, champ. it seems to be a theme with canadian liberal parties. maybe you havent noticed. are you new to the country? i remember lots of bold promises and claims then they get the power and shazam! up in smoke...and sadly, not legalized pot smoke(i think they promised legalized weed 3 times now)
promising legal weed and refusing to rehash bankrupt drug war talking points > promising continued prohibition and higher penalties and using the drug war language of demonization

we'll have legal weed soon enough, harper held us back a decade (dubya before that)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
harper never promised to legalize weed. nice deflection though. he did loosen the laws though. there is only one party that promised it and has never delivered.