• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Politeness, What a concept!

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
When someone holds the door open for you, say thank you.
Seriously, Torontonians need to brush up on their common courtesy and politeness.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE, because if you expect everyone to be polite and have common courtesy, you are gravely wrong.

I'm not going to stop holding doors open for anyone, but I really wish people appreciated it more.
 

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
It's funny because I was talking about this yesterday, and then today, as I was walking into the Timmies, I saw 2 older ladies walking out, so I held the door open for them, and then 4 more people exited in a line behind them, the whole time I was holding the door.

Not one out of the 6 people said anything or even looked up or smiled.

But I shall not be defeated!
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I usually say thank you but find out that they're just waiting for their friend who is behind me.

Politeness, consideration, general respect and manners is #1 on my list. I rarely get along with people who are complete jerkasses (unless it's endearing).
 

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
When someone holds the door open for you, say thank you.
Seriously, Torontonians need to brush up on their common courtesy and politeness.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE, because if you expect everyone to be polite and have common courtesy, you are gravely wrong.

I'm not going to stop holding doors open for anyone, but I really wish people appreciated it more.
whenever people fail to say, "thank you" I always say out loud, "you're welcome!" they usually look back in embarassment and say thanks
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Actually, I find it kind of creepy that someone would hold the door for me. Maybe that explains the awkwardness. I like the hold the door from behind thing moreso than physically getting out of the way and opening a door for someone a la doorman.
 

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
you know what else really grinds my gears (insert family guy joke here)... when assholes on the ttc take up the aisle seat and won't let you sit beside them even if there is a 10,000 year old jamaican woman with her own body weight in zellers bags standing paitently.

thats just plain rude!


also, i hate when I can't find the droids I'm looking for!
 

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Say you're walking through a building with doors sealing off both ends of every hallway, and there's a person walking ahead of you. Do you thank them the first time they hold the door open as sort of an omnibus thank you, or do you repeatedly thank them at every incidence of door holding?
 

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Politeness, What a concept!

Originally posted by the_fornicator
whenever people fail to say, "thank you" I always say out loud, "you're welcome!" they usually look back in embarassment and say thanks

I do this too... The look on there faces makes them realize there rudeness...
 

kmac

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Brandon
Say you're walking through a building with doors sealing off both ends of every hallway, and there's a person walking ahead of you. Do you thank them the first time they hold the door open as sort of an omnibus thank you, or do you repeatedly thank them at every incidence of door holding?
I think you thank them once at the first door and again at the last door.
 

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
When someone holds the door open for you, say thank you.
Seriously, Torontonians need to brush up on their common courtesy and politeness.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE, because if you expect everyone to be polite and have common courtesy, you are gravely wrong.

I'm not going to stop holding doors open for anyone, but I really wish people appreciated it more.
Hey ... everyone listen to this excellent advice. Not enough people hold the damn doors open as it is ... most people walking along the path at rush hour in the financial district for example, just let it slam in your face. i'm not even saying people need to stop and hold the door, just hold it that one second longer so the next person can get a hold on it rather than having it slam in their face.

So ... I'm with the watcher - if someone DOES hold the door for you DO say thank you to encourage them to keep up that polite behavior.
 

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
When someone holds the door open for you, say thank you.
Seriously, Torontonians need to brush up on their common courtesy and politeness.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE, because if you expect everyone to be polite and have common courtesy, you are gravely wrong.

I'm not going to stop holding doors open for anyone, but I really wish people appreciated it more.
i dont expect anything from anyone... do things for people because you want too, not because you are looking for something in return.

my .2
 

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Watcher
When someone holds the door open for you, say thank you.
.
Did i ask you to hold the door open for me fucker? you think im not capable of opening a fucking door for myself? no I didnt fucking ask you to, so you wanna stand there and waste your time and hold it open for me then go right ahead, what the fuck do want from me, a ten page ad in the paper saying OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HOLD"EN THE DOOR FOR ME, YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD... blow me bitch, suck it, you will get nothing ... and you will like it. you gotta a problem with that, then dont hold the damn door, cause noone asked you to.
 

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Politeness, What a concept!

Originally posted by Dirty Girl
Did i ask you to hold the door open for me fucker? you think im not capable of opening a fucking door for myself? no I didnt fucking ask you to, so you wanna stand there and waste your time and hold it open for me then go right ahead, what the fuck do want from me, a ten page ad in the paper saying OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HOLD"EN THE DOOR FOR ME, YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD... blow me bitch, suck it, you will get nothing ... and you will like it. you gotta a problem with that, then dont hold the damn door, cause noone asked you to.
oh how ive missed you, michy! :D
 

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Politeness, What a concept!

Originally posted by Dirty Girl
Did i ask you to hold the door open for me fucker? you think im not capable of opening a fucking door for myself? no I didnt fucking ask you to, so you wanna stand there and waste your time and hold it open for me then go right ahead, what the fuck do want from me, a ten page ad in the paper saying OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HOLD"EN THE DOOR FOR ME, YOU ARE THE BEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD... blow me bitch, suck it, you will get nothing ... and you will like it. you gotta a problem with that, then dont hold the damn door, cause noone asked you to.
You're Welcome :D
 

chooch

TRIBE Member
there are people out there either too caught up, too scared, too whatever to respond sometime. though you are simply stating that some response would be nice, not everyone was brought up that way. keep doing what you are doing because it is who you are.
 

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
the etiquette is variable, depending on location, traffic, and whether or not you needed the help.
 

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Politeness, What a concept!

Originally posted by the_fornicator
whenever people fail to say, "thank you" I always say out loud, "you're welcome!" they usually look back in embarassment and say thanks
LOL- me too- !
-J
*generally finds Torontians polite !
 

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by the_fornicator
whenever people fail to say, "thank you" I always say out loud, "you're welcome!" they usually look back in embarassment and say thanks
yep, sometimes

Originally posted by mr tall
I always say thanks, I don't mean it or care, just a matter of course
yep

polite does not = nice or genuine, just that you are couth.
 
Top