• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Police video camera abuse

kyfe

TRIBE Member
So today I was waiting for the streetcar and on my phone, minding my own business. Across the street was a grey Dodge caravan and 3 officers questioning a black male, why I do not know. After placing him in the van, one of the officers attempted to take video of of me. It was clear as there was nobody else around so I turn away to protect my privacy. Eventually he went into the van and they headed south, at some point they turned around and headed north towards me, stopped at the intersection and made a second attempt to secure video of me. Finally my streetcar came and I took a photo of the van so I at minimum had the plate so I can identify the officers. Since this I've been frequently looking over my shoulder and will be filing a complaint with the OIPRD.

Considering there are 100 officer who are on a pilot project, I have some concerns with how this information is being used and clearly this is an example of clear abuse. I have no criminal record, had no interaction with the police around this event yet they surveiled me for no apparent reason and breached my right to privacy.

I am concerned as to why the police involved me in this interaction

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I thought they weren't allowed to start filming until they start collecting information from you. They can't just walk up to you and be filming and ask you a question.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

wickedken

TRIBE Member
So you were out in public and are worried that someone is seeing you? Taking a photo or video isn't really an interaction is it? Maybe there was a super hawt girl right behind you you just didn't notice.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
How did you know they were filming you? I mean is there a light that tells you the camera is on?
He was on the other side of the intersection but close enough for me to see the lens and black casing clearly pointed at me, the thing is a little smaller than a cellphone.

He made a point of letting me know he had eyes on me, nothing was said but he made sure I noticed it. When I obstructed the view he got into the minivan and they took off. When they stalked me the corner on my side , they were sitting there at a green light but since they were inside the van I could not see what they were doing.

I don't know if it was the new body camera as it wasn't attached to him but it looked similar to what they introduced

kyfe

TRIBE Member
So you were out in public and are worried that someone is seeing you? Taking a photo or video isn't really an interaction is it? Maybe there was a super hawt girl right behind you you just didn't notice.
This is the police we are talking about, they can see with their eyes but that's not going to help them identify who I am. They need a photo or video to run it through the database to identify me if I am in the DB, Without cause. I understand their policies and procedures and the standard they are to adhere to and clearly they abused their authority today.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
This is the police we are talking about, they can see with their eyes but that's not going to help them identify who I am. They need a photo or video to run it through the database to identify me if I am in the DB, Without cause. I understand their policies and procedures and the standard they are to adhere to and clearly they abused their authority today.
I'm fairly certain you have no expectation of privacy in public, regardless of who is looking or taking pictures. Go out with your Guy Hawkes mask next time maybe?

I also heard of this time when a girl reporter was offended because some guys behind her said some nasty stuff, but police didn't want to lay charges because there was no actual abuse.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
kyfe;4698745 I don't know if it was the new body camera as it wasn't attached to him but it looked similar to what they introduced[/QUOTE said:
I thought it was attached to his body so he was holding it pointing it at you?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I'm fairly certain you have no expectation of privacy in public, regardless of who is looking or taking pictures. Go out with your Guy Hawkes mask next time maybe?

I also heard of this time when a girl reporter was offended because some guys behind her said some nasty stuff, but police didn't want to lay charges because there was no actual abuse.
You are aligning the Police with the general public which is not correct. The standard of care you and I (code of conducts aside) are held to is nothing compared to an on duty police officer.

The police cannot come up and take everyone's photo without cause, the police carding program has come under scrutiny because it's being abused and they are targeting innocent people in the general public.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
They need a photo or video to run it through the database to identify me if I am in the DB, Without cause. I understand their policies and procedures and the standard they are to adhere to and clearly they abused their authority today.
Holy big brother fear mongering.
The video on the tape can only be reviewed after the fact by the officer and his direct supervisor. It's not like they are sending a live feed to a data center asking them to do a facial recognition so they can come over and pull you off the street.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4698754 said:
It's not like they are sending a live feed to a data center asking them to do a facial recognition so they can come over and pull you off the street.
Its only a matter of time...

Puma

TRIBE Member
Interesting . At first you all were like all police need to wear cameras. Now that they have cameras and filming you now that's the problem. Which one is it you want them to have cameras or not you can't have it both ways.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Kyfe wanted police to wear cameras that photographed the officers wearing them - he's a huge proponent of selfie sticks and bathroom mirrors - not filming him: that's for the citizen journalists to document when he gets in his inevitable confrontation for commenting on cops taking selfies.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
If you ask me, it's becoming too risky to leave home.
Telecommuting is great. I only need to throw on a dress shirt for video conferences. Though one has to be careful about not standing up, less the tighty whitey's are seen.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
You're right!

Meeting? No problem. Skype.

Groceries? No problem. Grocery Gateway.

Booze? No problem. Grocery Gateway again (effective Dec 2015).

Sex? No problem. Tinder.

Need to replace a couch because your quickly growing fat ass hasn't left the middle cushion for 10 months and it is now warped? No problem. IKEA delivery.

The list goes on.

Beings

TRIBE Member
Strange that this upsets you. I personally feel safer when everything that police say and do is recorded on Camera, rather than it is their word against your word. The Cameras should be rolling 24/7 otherwise it is too convenient to 'forget' to press record for police sometimes.

It is a choice we have to make, do we want to be protected from police when we are bystanders when we have less to loose, or when we are in direct confrontation with the police when we have more to loose.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Well first off, I don't recall being a proponent of police wearing camera's but I think it's a good idea. Secondly this has nothing to do with the police wearing cameras and everything to do with targeted profiling which I don't like.

If I had interacted with the police then fine, I have no problem being filmed. the point I'm trying to make is that I did NOT have any interaction with them in any way verbal or non verbal. I suspect the officer thought I was filming the situation he was involved in and decided to turn the tables so to speak. It's an entire abuse of the process, If officers are going to start using cameras with impunity and without RPC that I DO have a problem with and we all should.

This is a form of intimidation and abuses the standard of care the police owe the public they are trying to protect

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Their actions may be questionable, but you have very limited rights to privacy in a public place.
This isn't about a right to privacy as I've stated earlier. It's about improper surveillance and abuse of authority. The police cannot investigate someone unless they have Reasonable Probable Grounds.

this is not CCTV

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories