• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Police records on innocent used to discriminate against employment, prevent border crossings

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Never mind about conviction, it turns out that merely being mentioned in an investigation is enough to bar you from employment or crossing the border. This news stuns me. I never thought something like this could happen in our country.

In the few times that I've been a witness to serious crime, I've had no problems talking to the police. After reading about this, I will avoid them at all cost. I never want to dial 911 again, even if I hear something awful happening next door.

It's truly horrifying.

Canadians stunned to learn they have police records, despite never being found guilty | Toronto Star

Disabled woman denied entry to U.S. after agent cites supposedly private medical details | Toronto Star

spaboy

TRIBE Member
I got questioned at the border once about a bogus assault charge somebody laid on me and got thrown out instantly. I had to request my prints and such be removed from the system even though it was thrown out.

keline

TRIBE Member
These stories are absolutely disturbing.. think about how easy it would be to destroy someone's future career prospects. All you need to do is anonymously report them as being involved with drug dealers and they can never get a job working with the public again.

The worst stories are the ones of people who received help for depression way in the past, and now they can't get a job because of it. People will stop seeking medical care if they think it will harm their future career prospects.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this is a shocking story. hopefully, public outrage will spur legislative change.

i wonder, though, in a time when facebook and other sites have so completely eroded our notions of privacy, if anyone under the age of 30 would give this issue a second thought.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

keline

TRIBE Member
There's quite a difference between posts on Facebook and having an official police record that associates you with crime.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
...for now.

Although my friend who works for a major corporation has 'creeping facebook profiles of potential employees' as part of her job description.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
this is a shocking story. hopefully, public outrage will spur legislative change.

i wonder, though, in a time when facebook and other sites have so completely eroded our notions of privacy, if anyone under the age of 30 would give this issue a second thought.
I think we've already started walking down that eroded road.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I think it's pretty disturbing that police can unilaterally "change" their disclosure policy with regards to mental health issues.

For all of the bullshit "privacy" guarantees health care providers and other services espouse, seems ridiculous that something like that can just "well we publish that now, mmkay thanks".

I've worked for at least one company that required a police check and had a policy not to hire someone with anything on their record. This was a company where I can't really imagine how anything on a criminal record should matter (ie. it's not dealing with kids or national security or whatnot). Definitely rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway....

-jM
A&D

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I think the solution is to act like a celebrity where you should assume everyone knows everything about you.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

djfear

TRIBE Member
I wonder when the metrics on the American side will enact a policy change...

"Sir, the Buffalo Business Authority is complaining that they've seen a 6% reduction in Canadian credit card sales and feel it's due to the media's campaign on this issue..."

In fact, I wonder if it's made the American news.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I recall a story on the Star about how a woman was refused entry into the states due to some medical issue. It does seem that more personal information is "out there" than people have reasonably expected, doesn't it?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories