• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Police Drug test

dyad

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
One doing that is saying that laws=ethics... but, since laws change, so do ethics?

I think not. There are certain ethics that do not change... it's all very simple golden rule shit...

the ethics I'm referring to have nothing to do with drugs though, thats personal opinion. I was referring to the ethical responsibility of a police officer to abide by the law in his or her own practice. I dont extend this to believing in any given law, but a police officer should obey the law.

I also take back saying that it shouldnt be up to the police officer which laws they follow, and enforce. It shouldnt be up to them which ones they follow, however, refusing to enforce minor posession laws has proven to be a very effective sign of solidarity in the movement to legalize.

Hamza

TRIBE Member
okay, non-specific example.

You are a cop, you get a call that some ass wipe is beating his wife, might be drunk, and may have a weapon (could be anything, knife, gun, golf club).

You go to the building, you have no clue if the guy will shoot you, his wife, his kid, someone ion the street. You don't pull your gun out and go all Miami Vice on his ass. You talk him down.

This happens all the time in domestic abuse cases, which are very frequent.

Think of everytime a cop gets a call about a bar fight or some frat asses fighting, there may be weapons involved, or maybe its nothing...but you don't know that. You may potentially get shot everytime, but you still de-escalate first.

Its easy to sit here and dismiss it as yeah whatever, they are all pigs, but that's not really fare. Again, I am not a cop lover, I've personally been screwed by them, but I still respect the job they have to do.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
But, 98% of the time, there is no weapon.

Some guy beating his wife? Extremely unlikely to have a weapon.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hamza said:
You may potentially get shot everytime, but you still de-escalate first.

Its easy to sit here and dismiss it as yeah whatever, they are all pigs, but that's not really fare.
Oh fucking please... they are actually LESS likely to get shot than a bystander. And that is a proven fact.

I do not dismiss them as all "pigs"... bullshit. They do their jobs, and most, nay the great majority of them, do it well and I have a great regard for them. I would not do the job of a beat cop... no way... too boring, and occasionally too dangerous... that is the worst! I would rather have a job that is dangerous MOST OF THE TIME than a job that rarely IS dangerous, but when it IS, it is really fucking dangerous...

acheron

TRIBE Member
Sheesh, pulling a gun and ending someone's life is just one out of many judgement calls a cop is required to make in order to do their job. It could be all kinds of things - I simply don't want even the suggestion that it's OK to be baked and be a cop - we have to hold them to a higher standard than we do ourselves or there's almost no point in having them around. Yes, there are crooked cops and there are plenty of alcoholic ones. But the issue here is whether someone who's trying to decide if it's a good idea to get wasted on NYE when they have a cop exam coming up should even be considering the job in the first place. I say no. That person's judgement is in question.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
acheron said:
Sheesh, pulling a gun and ending someone's life is just one out of many judgement calls a cop is required to make in order to do their job. It could be all kinds of things - I simply don't want even the suggestion that it's OK to be baked and be a cop - we have to hold them to a higher standard than we do ourselves or there's almost no point in having them around. Yes, there are crooked cops and there are plenty of alcoholic ones. But the issue here is whether someone who's trying to decide if it's a good idea to get wasted on NYE when they have a cop exam coming up should even be considering the job in the first place. I say no. That person's judgement is in question.
So you think that somebody who has never ever in their life had anything different in their experience than a "Hello, how are you?", "Oh, fine, thanks, and how are you?" is in a BETTER POSITION than someone who has had more than that happen to them?

Id est, you believe that the "higher standard" to be a cop is one that comprises nothing more than being a neutral non-participant?

Wow. Fucking wow.

It is no wonder most of those morons do their jobs improperly, since they have not the first fucking clue. No fucking empathy.

Empathy should be the NUMBER ONE SKILL of a peace officer, and the NUMBER ONE way of gaining that is to experience something outside of the status quo... and I ain't talking about getting drunk with your other white friends and talking about the bestest way to do a fucking armlock.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
acheron said:
"Does anyone here know what the ontario poilice drug test consists of ie.. what they look for and how the testing is done??"

is the first post. this person has a low post count so i doubt they have seen earlier threads on tribe detailing exactly what tests measure what and how long each substance stays in what part of your body - and what tests the police use for recruits. that's all he (i feel like going back to the s/he now since we don't know, but really i think someone had just better take this pronoun thing in hand and invent and implement a non-gendered third person pronoun.) is asking.

and that's fair - weed stays in you, what, a month or so i seem to remember. judgement is never impaired by weed you smoked up a month ago. so the judgement of just asking the question is not suspect at all.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
PosTMOd said:
So you think that somebody who has never ever in their life had anything different in their experience than a "Hello, how are you?", "Oh, fine, thanks, and how are you?" is in a BETTER POSITION than someone who has had more than that happen to them?

Id est, you believe that the "higher standard" to be a cop is one that comprises nothing more than being a neutral non-participant?

Wow. Fucking wow.

It is no wonder most of those morons do their jobs improperly, since they have not the first fucking clue. No fucking empathy.

Empathy should be the NUMBER ONE SKILL of a peace officer, and the NUMBER ONE way of gaining that is to experience something outside of the status quo... and I ain't talking about getting drunk with your other white friends and talking about the bestest way to do a fucking armlock.
dude, you are coming off like you have a bit of a hate on for the po-po.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Lysistrata said:
dude, you are coming off like you have a bit of a hate on for the po-po.
I do not. At all.

What I DO NOT LIKE is the way cops are trained, especially when it comes to empathy. Empathy can be taught... but it is easier to be in a situation whereby you do not need to be taught.

Most cops are so unaware (or unable to consider) of situations that they have not been in themselves that they react strangely when put into them...

They are trained in ape psychology, i.e. "Yell at the perp, show them you are in charge no matter what, do not back down regardless"... just like an ape would do...

Oh, guess what? We ain't apes, though most times we act like them...

Meh... who fucking cares? It's not like what I think will change anything...

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
well, that's more fair: you have an issue with the way police are trained to be. as do i, i also have problems with the way policing, and discipline and the law, and a whole lot of things are structured. but when you call them "morons", that's quite incendiary.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
I applied for a job that would be controlling inventory for cleaning supplies. Not too tough a job for a some what small place with very friendly staff. Everything about the place mainly the way the staff treated each other was the reason I wanted to work there.
I went for the second interview to be told "if you get the job its down to you and one other person, you will be drug tested, how do you feel about that?"

I told them it didn't bother me either way, only because I wanted to get the job. I thought about what kindve test they would do and what kindve result would show up. I mean if they asked for a sample that tested positive for weed which I smoked like 3 weeks ago, I don't think that would have been fair as I wouldn't actually be intoxicated on the job.
The boss' reason for drug testing was "insurance will not cover anyone who tests positive for drugs, as the accident could be caused by being under the influence, we have to make sure our staff are clean so we don't have to worry about insurance"
Which again if I would have been tested positive for not being intoxicated but because there are traces left in my system I don't think its actually a fair way of doing things.
Anyway I didn't end up taking that job.

I think drug testing is bullshit, and should be left out of the workplace. As long as you are able to do your job properly, safely, treat co-workers with respect, and generally don't do anything wrong, what you choose to do shouldn't matter.

My current workplace has this attitude we had a meeting about someone in Adelaide bringing a big bag of weed to work and a co-worker called the cops on this person. So my boss said "look if you are on the drugs we don't want to know about it, let alone see you bringing them into the workplace. If drugs are your thing keep it to yourself and don't bring them to work and we shouldn't have a problem"

Tins

TRIBE Member
taki... you will have to report back to us today and let us know what you ultimately decided to do last night. And also when will you be having this Police drug test?

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
Is that the 700 or so question multiple choice thing? Or am I thinking of some psych testing?

probably thinking of the GATB or what some forces use known as the paddy... both of which are a fucking absolutely joke.

most police forces dropped the gatb a few years ago.