• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Police Drug test

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Wiseman said:
so you want to become a cop and yet still ahve interest in illegal substances.........................ummmmmmmm ya.
so what? to be involved in a system at all you have to believe in every one of its aspects? i know some catholics who stay catholics even though they don't think homosexuality is a sin. in fact, some catholics stay catholics even though they are homosexual, which is pretty fucked up, but it's their choice. my mom's a teacher, even though she doesn't support all of the public education system's protocols. you can't demand that institutions change to suit your own personal beliefs - they're never be able to fulfils everyone's beliefs.

as long as dude isn't doing drugs then going to work (or doing drugs while at work), or isn't a "dirty" cop using his/her employment to pressure dealers into freebies, or extortion or anything like that, then what you do on your own time is your own business.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I actually believe that someone who has committed some minor unlawful activity (within reason) is much better suited to be a cop... better judgment, not so black/white as many cops are...
 

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
so what? to be involved in a system at all you have to believe in every one of its aspects? i know some catholics who stay catholics even though they don't think homosexuality is a sin. in fact, some catholics stay catholics even though they are homosexual, which is pretty fucked up, but it's their choice. my mom's a teacher, even though she doesn't support all of the public education system's protocols. you can't demand that institutions change to suit your own personal beliefs - they're never be able to fulfils everyone's beliefs.

as long as dude isn't doing drugs then going to work (or doing drugs while at work), or isn't a "dirty" cop using his/her employment to pressure dealers into freebies, or extortion or anything like that, then what you do on your own time is your own business.

A police officer is required to be "on call" even when not on duty, a drug free policy is at the core of their ethical standards. Its a little different then being born into a religion. The job comes with a little more responsibility than an average job, and if someone can't stay away from pills and pot, then they should be thinking of another career.

Its not just consuming the drugs that will be a conflict on interest. He'll have to buy them, thus he'll come into contact with people distributing them, which is against the law. So, if he's a cop, he has to report this and arrest the person selling the drugs...that's HIS JOB.

What if he grows his own shit you say? That also happens to be against the law.

So, its a little more than "oh, he's off duty, he should do what he wants"
 

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
they would most likely conduct random urine or blood tests, but they could also ask for a hair test, which would give a record of drug use as long as the hair as been growing.

shave your head NOW!
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
yes, but the law is wrong about weed, if not about drugs in general, and if you believe that then you can't subscribe to their rules about it. you gotta be true to your own ethics.
 

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
yes, but the law is wrong about weed, if not about drugs in general, and if you believe that then you can't subscribe to their rules about it. you gotta be true to your own ethics.

riiiight....which is why he should think of another career.

The last thing you want is to be working in the police force and have something that can be used as blackmail against you. It would actually put his life and career in danger in the long run.
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
now does one's stance on the drug question more important than one's desire to protect people agianst actual criminals? that's a judgement call. of course a lot of the actual criminals are involved with drugs (i.e. the angels are involved in violence, extortion, etc. as well as with trafficing drugs) but that's a result of the illegality of drugs. if the drugs were legal they would be sold and purchased without the need for violence, extortion, etc.
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hamza said:
riiiight....which is why he should think of another career.

The last thing you want is to be working in the police force and have something that can be used as blackmail against you. It would actually put his life and career in danger in the long run.
yes, it's a risk to his life and career - which makes it a judgement call. his judgement call, as it's his life nad his career. (are we assuming taki is a guy, or do we know?)
 

acheron

TRIBE Member
As far as I'm concerned, the less doped up cops we have, the better.

I'd say the judgement thing is more important here. He's decided to go up for a position of great responsibility, where one day he might be making a decision between life or death for someone he's in a stand-off with... I want that person to have his shit in order. And trying to decide whether to get wasted on NYE when he's got a cop entrance exam coming up is literally a no-brainer.
 

Hamza

TRIBE Member
Lysistrata said:
yes, it's a risk to his life and career - which makes it a judgement call. his judgement call, as it's his life nad his career. (are we assuming taki is a guy, or do we know?)
total assumption that he's a he.

So we are back to judgement...which he'll fail :)
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
acheron said:
where one day he might be making a decision between life or death for someone he's in a stand-off with...
That happens once every 890 manyears in Toronto, so it is moot.
 

Hamza

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
That happens once every 890 manyears in Toronto, so it is moot.

not true dude. it doesn't get reported, but a lot of shit goes on daily. Just because a gun is not drawn does not mean its not a stand off. Cops, RCMP and other gov't agencies always try to talk down people first and de-escalate a situation.

I don't love cops, but I respect what they do, its not all tim hortons all the time.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hamza said:
not true dude. it doesn't get reported, but a lot of shit goes on daily. Just because a gun is not drawn does not mean its not a stand off. Cops, RCMP and other gov't agencies always try to talk down people first and de-escalate a situation.

I don't love cops, but I respect what they do, its not all tim hortons all the time.
Hahaha... nice...

As if any moronic thing that happens does NOT get reported. Of course it does... IF IT IS WORTH SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT.

Many times (and no disrespect to the majority) the cops themselves escalate the situation merely because they are fucking bored out of their skulls with their job where NOTHING EVER HAPPENS.
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
acheron said:
As far as I'm concerned, the less doped up cops we have, the better.

I'd say the judgement thing is more important here. He's decided to go up for a position of great responsibility, where one day he might be making a decision between life or death for someone he's in a stand-off with... I want that person to have his shit in order. And trying to decide whether to get wasted on NYE when he's got a cop entrance exam coming up is literally a no-brainer.
i want that person to have his shit in order to, and as long as he's not under teh effects of drugs at the time, he will. alcohol does far more damage to your judgement ability - and motor skills (like, for aiming a gun.) - than weed does, and i's say mdma as well. but we don't require police to be teetotallers. because alcohol is legal, and weed and e are not, which is an arbirtrary line in the sand. if he doesn't agree with it, as i don't, it's his choice.

i still would never join the police force (tho that's because i'm a little anarchist at heart) and i have to say entering the police force while still using illegal drugs is a questionable choice (because he could compromise his career and his dealers', not because he might have poor judgement in a stand-off)) but it's his choice to make.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
acheron said:
As far as I'm concerned, the less doped up cops we have, the better.
How about a cop who got (legally) drunk the night before her shift and is hangover all to hell, versus one who smoked up (illegally) the night before her shift...??

I would choose the latter.
 

Hamza

TRIBE Member
PosTMOd said:
Hahaha... nice...



Many times (and no disrespect to the majority) the cops themselves escalate the situation merely because they are fucking bored out of their skulls with their job where NOTHING EVER HAPPENS.
what are you basing this on?
 

dyad

TRIBE Member
You can hold true to ethics supporting decriminalization/legalization without breaking the law. Believing that resources are wasted on prosecuting lifestyle crimes never needs to be proven by actively committing those crimes.

You might say that the ethics of serving on the police force means respecting the laws that exist until they are changed. There is nothing stopping groups like LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) from actively promoting the legalization cause. It is in their best interest though, to support from the outside. Since laws are enforced by the police it shouldnt be up to the police officer which laws they follow, and enforce. Thats why we have a system in place to challenge outdated laws.

At the same time, that ethical commitment starts when you begin your service, not prior to. (and while not a cop, I'm certainly not in a position to throw stones since all of us are supposed to respect the law so my judgment would be held in any case.)
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hamza said:
what are you basing this on?
What are you basing your assumption on? The idea that "most things go unreported" is because most times it ends up that there is no problem. Does not mean that there was no incident, only that the end result was that THERE WAS NO PERP.

When there is a problem (on the other end), it gets reported.

Many times when there is no problem (from the supposed perp's end), a problem is made by the cop... disputing this is like saying "no muslim is a terrorist because terrorism is against the Koran", i.e. it is a tautology.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
dyad said:
You might say that the ethics of serving on the police force means respecting the laws that exist until they are changed.
One doing that is saying that laws=ethics... but, since laws change, so do ethics?

I think not. There are certain ethics that do not change... it's all very simple golden rule shit...
 
Top