• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Polaris Prize?

why not

TRIBE Member
maybe this isn't the kind of board that cares about this, but I'm quite happy that Fucked Up took home the $20 000 prize last night.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Me too but I wasnt able to keep up on last night's goings on. I'll catch up later. I'd like to give a shoutout to Cœur De Pirate though for a great album.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

zoo

TRIBE Member
I watched almost all of it last night on the live feed (via Muchmusic/CTV). It was actually pretty cool, aside from all the downtime (4-5 minutes of literally nothing in-between each band's performance ... they had every shortlist name perform!).

I was surprised that the winner was NOT one of: Chad Van Gaalen, Elliott BROOD, Hey Rosetta! I like that Fucked Up won (I like their album), but Chad had a universally loved disc, EBrood have been touring like crazy and on the cover of just about every local rag (and they're quite good), and Hey Rosetta! actually really impressed me with their performance last night --- the only band to do so. Fucked Up sounded bad last night, but that's the point. :)

I'm really glad that Metric didn't win, and sad that:

Junior Boys weren't short-listed
Couer De Pirate wasn't short-listed

and very disappointed that:

Sebastien Grainger wasn't long-listed
Crystal Castles weren't long-listed
Julie Doiron wasn't long-listed

I also enjoyed the intermission music selections; heard quite a few K'Naan songs that I had never paid attention to before, but now realized I liked. The show made me want to get more into Malajube, K'Naan, Hey Rosetta, Elliott Brood, and Patrick Watson. That's what I call a success!

Ben were you there in-person? They mentioned that the judges were locked up in deliberation later in the evening.

I honestly can't imagine why this show was not aired on live television. The only interesting thing that Canadian Music has to offer, and it's not even broadcasted by our major TV/Cable networks? Such a shame. The downtime is no excuse; they could have filled that with any number of live interviews, past footage clips, bios, etc.

Last edited:

why not

TRIBE Member
Ben were you there in-person? They mentioned that the judges were locked up in deliberation later in the evening.

i was up on the balcony. the sequestered judges are just the final jury, which is randomly chosen from the 180-something judges who voted in the two previous sessions that generated the long and then the short list.
not a big fan of award shows, but by the end of it i felt entertained.
Fucked Up didn't make my favourite canadian album of the year, but they were the right band to win. they were among the five artists i voted for in the earlier voting sessions.

I honestly can't imagine why this show was not aired on live television. The only interesting thing that Canadian Music has to offer, and it's not even broadcasted by our major TV/Cable networks? Such a shame. The downtime is no excuse; they could have filled that with any number of live interviews, past footage clips, bios, etc.

i believe they will be broadcasting it on Much this weekend, but given the artists covered, it's not exactly prime-time live tv material yet.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i believe they will be broadcasting it on Much this weekend, but given the artists covered, it's not exactly prime-time live tv material yet.

I don't consider Monday nights to be prime-anything, especially when the only thing on is re-runs. I think Much Music was showing "Video On Trial" last night.

evil homer

TRIBE Member
it was. they mocked the new NKOTB video
it was awesome.

most of my CDN favourites this year made the long list so, far as I'm concerned, the award is still very relevant.

mrtunes

TRIBE Member
nice to hear they awarded it to music with a bit of an edge! and i guess they are deserving of it considering how big they are outside the country.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
i think they're pretty good. It's cool to see a punk band win something as significant as this and not fall into the pop-punk genre (which is a load of wank).

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Polaris winner issues statement critical of music-awards shows
By: Raju Mudhar Tech Reporter, Published on Tue Sep 24 2013

The Polaris Music Prize was awarded to Montreal post rock group, Godspeed You! Black Emperor on Monday night, and while the group was not in attendance, they issued a statement about the win this morning criticizing the nature of music award shows.

The band won for Allelujah! Don’t! Bend! Ascend!, their fourth album, which came out after an almost decade-long hiatus; many thought the band had broken up.

The band, which started in 1994 and has had a sprawling, often changing line-up, is known for its intense and artful instrumental music and impressive live shows. It has long been critically adored and has found a devoted cult following. They toured from 1998 until 2002, but then went on hiatus for their nine members to focus on other projects. The reunited in 2010 to tour and released the award-winning album in 2012.

The group is also known for eschewing interviews and rarely taking part in most music-industry rituals. The band is known to be politically aware (the back cover of Yanqui U.X.O., their third album, showed links between depicting the relationship between major labels and the military industrial complex).

The Polaris prize is an annual awards show whose mission it is to find the best Canadian album, regardless of genre or sales. The nominated albums are decided on by over 200 music journalists across the country. After a 10-album shortlist is determined, an 11-person jury decides on the winning recipient at the Polaris Prize gala, which was held on Monday evening.

At the awards show, Constellation Records co-founder Ian Ilavsky accepted the $30,000 prize on behalf of the band, and said the group would like the money to support music education in Quebec prisons.

GY!BE released the following statement this morning through their Constellation Records, which appears below. It has been edited by The Star only for coarse language. We’ve reached out to the Polaris folks for comment.

A FEW WORDS REGARDING THIS POLARIS PRIZE THING

hello kanada.

hello kanadian music-writers.

thanks for the nomination thanks for the prize — it feels nice to be acknowledged by the Troubled Motherland when we so often feel orphaned here. and much respect for all y’all who write about local bands, who blow that horn loudly — because that trumpeting is crucial and necessary and important.

and much respect to the freelancers especially, because freelancing is a hard f-----g gig, and almost all of us are freelancers now, right? falling and scrambling and hustling through these difficult times?

so yes, we are grateful, and yes we are humble and we are shy to complain when we’ve been acknowledged thusly- BUT HOLY S--T AND HOLY COW- we’ve been plowing our field on the margins of weird culture for almost 20 years now, and “this scene is pretty cool but what it really f------g needs is an awards show” is not a thought that’s ever crossed our minds.

3 quick bullet-points that almost anybody could agree on maybe =

-holding a gala during a time of austerity and normalized decline is a weird thing to do.

-organizing a gala just so musicians can compete against each other for a novelty-sized cheque doesn’t serve the cause of righteous music at all.

-asking the toyota motor company to help cover the tab for that gala, during a summer where the melting northern ice caps are live-streaming on the internet, IS F------G INSANE, and comes across as tone-deaf to the current horrifying malaise.

these are hard times for everybody. and musicians’ blues are pretty low on the list of things in need of urgent correction BUT AND BUT if the point of this prize and party is acknowledging music-labor performed in the name of something other than quick money, well then maybe the next celebration should happen in a cruddier hall, without the corporate banners and culture overlords. and maybe a party thusly is long overdue- it would be truly nice to enjoy that hang, somewhere sometime where the point wasn’t just lazy money patting itself on the back.

give the money to the kids let ‘em put on their own goddamn parties, give the money to the olds and let them try to write opuses in spite of, but let the muchmusic videostars fight it out in the inconsequential middle, without gov’t. culture-money in their pockets.

us we’re gonna use the money to try to set up a program so that prisoners in quebec have musical instruments if they need them …

amen and amen.

apologies for being such bores,

we love you so much / our country is f----d,

xoxoxox

godspeed you! black emperor

Polaris winner issues statement critical of music-awards shows | Toronto Star

octo

TRIBE Member
the irony was not lost on me when i was driving around yesterday and heard on the radio that this gala was at the Carlu and the final voting seemed slightly contrived. something about the judges being sequestered the whole night deciding.

the winner gets $30,000 right? my immediate thought was "it probably costs triple that to put the party on"

the polaris prize is a great concept but they blow it at the end.

the "gala" should be at the phoenix.

zoo

TRIBE Member
I watched the entire show (live stream on aux.tv / youtube).

The performances were great. The guest presenters ranged from interesting to boring to embarrassed and/or embarrassing. Shad and Kathleen Edwards had decent chemistry as the co-hosts, but the real entertainment of the night was Kathleen Edwards herself. I couldn't tell if she was under the influence of some substance, or if she's just naturally insane, but whatever it was I loved it. She's awkward, spontaneous, dorky, blindly confident, and swears like a sailor.

I'm going to revisit her albums now.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
but the real entertainment of the night was Kathleen Edwards herself. I couldn't tell if she was under the influence of some substance, or if she's just naturally insane, but whatever it was I loved it. She's awkward, spontaneous, dorky, blindly confident, and swears like a sailor.

I'm going to revisit her albums now.

middle-finger.gif

SOCAN-dancing.gif

Finger-Wag.gif

Handjerk.gif

Snooooooooooort.gif

off-to-the-party.gif