• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Polar Bears! Eating EACH OTHER

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Polar bears' cannibalism, deaths raise concerns

TENILLE BONOGUORE

Two polar bears have starved to death and two others were found dead this year in the region where scientists previously discovered unprecedented cannibalism within the population.

Scientists were stunned to discover that two mother polar bears had been stalked, killed and eaten near their Beaufort Sea dens, and that much larger male bears cannibalized a young male during the spring of 2004.

Now, four more dead polar bears have been found in the Alaskan and Canadian regions of the Beaufort Sea, and researchers are getting worried.

What was initially thought to be a curious event could indicate a radical shift in the behaviour of polar bears as they battle dangerous drops in nutrition levels, said the lead author of a report into the 2004 deaths.

Dr. Steven Amstrup, polar bear project leader for the U.S. Geological Survey, Alaska Science Centre, said cannibalism is not unheard of in bear populations, but it usually happens after an has animal died for other reasons, such as during a fight over territory.

What sets the 2004 deaths apart is the calculated manner in which the bears appear to have been sniffed out, stalked and killed by large males bears hunting for food.

"These are very rare events. The fact that we observed three in a row is very profound," Dr. Amstrup said.

This year, researchers in Alaska found two females with radio tags dead from starvation, and the remains of a third.

Canadian researchers found one dead polar bear in their study region.

The causes of death are being investigated, but Dr. Amstrup said the incidents were unprecedented.

"We've never seen anything like that before. Two of the dead bears were extremely emaciated and appeared to have starved."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060614.BEARS14/TPStory/National

Crazlegs

TRIBE Member
I saw a news report talking about how alot of them are also drowning. Apparently the melting of the polar ice caps is making it too difficult for them to swim accross to wherever it is they need to get to :(

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Something has to be done to stem the tide of fur-on-fur violence.

I can only imagine how violent those take-downs are! Polar Bears are supposed to be the most violent and feirce of their breed--possibly of any species.

nawberry

TRIBE Member
I have come to expect this sort of anti-polarbearistic drivel from the globe.

Their anti-polar bear agenda is about as transparent as a ziploc bag filled with water, so to speak.

The slantedness of the Globe is why I now read the more balanced and polar-bear friendly Churchill Gazette, who deem this incident to be an overzealous hug.

This whole thing has its roots from the time when Roy Thomson Sr. was eaten by a polar bear.

Last edited:

derek

TRIBE Member
nawberry said:
I have come to expect this sort of anti-polarbearistic drivel from the globe.

Their anti-polar bear agenda is about as transparent as a ziploc bag filled with water, so to speak.

The slantedness of the Globe is why I now read the more balanced and polar-bear friendly Churchill Gazette, who deem this incident to be an overzealous hug.

This whole thing has its roots from the time when Roy Thomson Sr. was eaten by a polar bear.

it all starts and end with stephen colbert.

annec

TRIBE Member
Crazlegs said:
I saw a news report talking about how alot of them are also drowning. Apparently the melting of the polar ice caps is making it too difficult for them to swim accross to wherever it is they need to get to :(
They can swim, but it's taking them longer to get from one floe to another.

Plus, our toxins are metabolizing in them (eg. PCBs, etc.)
They're fucked, then we're fucked, and one day, we'll have to move to outer space as Hawking suggests, then we can fuck up the rest of the universe.