• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Poker Flat @ Fabric 05/13

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Quite possibly the best way to cap off a great vacation back to Ireland, flew into London on the Friday night, hit up my uncles wedding in the daytime, got nicely loaded in the evening (was "the babysitter" at the childrens table, but the caterers gave each table the same amount of booze (2 btls red, 2 btls white and 2 bottles of champagne) even though there were only 2 of us at my table who were "of age". Drunkenly stumbled back to my hotel at around midnight and took the trek from Wimbledon downtown.

I ended up starting my night at some other club around Tottenham Court, which had 2 bands on the bill, in an incredible space, but unfortunatly the DJ playing inbetween bands was SO bad, I had to leave. I mean, you'd think a massive club city like London would have Quality Control standards over who they bring in, especially when theres an over abundance of AMAZING talent at your fingertips at any given time. But no. Not this club, there must have been 3-400 people in the club, and the DJ trainwrecked EVERY mix for the 30 excruciating minutes i stayed there, she wasnt even trying to mix, it was just ugly crossfade into ugly crossfade, and she'd let the tracks trainwreck for a good 10-20 seconds each track. TERRIBLE. At one point, I heard a good mix going on, and I was taken aback, but then I realized she was just playing TIGA's DJ-Kicks CD. Le Tigre - Deceptacon into Soft Cell - So. After that she trainwrecked into Artic Monkeys and I knew that it was my time to leave.

*end rant*

The walk from this club to Fabric wasn't supposed to be as long as it was, but I went on a few adventures along the way, which resulted in me reaching various levels of intoxication. After an hour and a half of strutting around town (80% of that time I was lost and too drunk to consider consulting a map) I finally found the club. Got in at 3:30 to hear an hour of blissful minimal tech grooves by Patrick Chardonnet, who was throwing down a disgusting awesome live PA of rolling, bubbling basslines, off-time kicks, rhythmic percussin and everything else that makes me cream myslef with delight. Between 3:30 and 4:30, I danced myself stupid to his set, all the while LOVING the fact that England adopted 24/7 drinking! I'd be seriously scared that I would have exploded had I have been on drugs during that PA... I was setting the dancefloor on fire enough while sober(ish)

At 4:30AM, Steve Bug came on, and he went straight for the jugular, the man was the equivalent of a musical doberman, cutting straight to the chase and laying down a MEAN set of techno, MUCH harder than I've heard him play the last few times he's been in toronto... Every now and then he would play more "typical" minimal stuff that I'm used to him playing, but then he'd go right back into some thumping techno/tech-house grooves that was so good, you'd think he was in brown note territory. I don't know whether it was the capacity crowd given'er, the 4:30-7:30 timeslot, or just the fact that England likes it harder, but it was a great contrast to what Chardonnet threw down before, and kept the crowd in a frenzy all night long!

I mustered up the energy to leave just after 7am, and to my suprise, the club was still easily at 80-90% capacity when I left. These people come to party, and I felt so bad not being able to close out the club with them, but I had to catch my train stright to Gatwick airport for a sketchy 10 hour flight back to Toronto. (my 6'4" body didnt like having to sketch out in Economy class seats for 10 hours :()

It was a pilgrimage that I almost didn't make, but am SO glad I did. Fabric is easily one of the best clubbing experiences of my life, and the fact that my favorite label just happened to be doing a showcase the one night I was available to rave didnt hurt things either.

So... Who wants to move to london with me next summer? After seeing all the flyers you get when you leave, I was astounded by the fact that EVERY night of the weekend is like a rave of Toronto long weekend guvernment proportions. Its insane.

I love it.

11/10. technics1200 :eek: technics1200

p.s. pics to follow once I get the 2 crappy cellphone shots i managed to take before my battery died.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
p.p.s. anyone know any "tribe" like sites for London, that may have pics that other people took?

Thanks!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
lol @ musical doberman

I would loooooove to hear the harder side of Steve Bug. I bet he can seriously bring it without losing the groove.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
As if my jealousy could not get more intense... i just downloaded steve bug's set from fabric -- this night.

mixingbowl.org - straight off the mixer board, decent quality

ian

TRIBE Member
That link does not appear correct?

I'd love this set so hoping you can steer me to the right place!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I've registered, but it's a torrent site, and I don't know how to use torrents...

Effinhard, perhaps you could send me the file and I can host it on my website as a regular link? how long is it?

davehill79

TRIBE Promoter
Fabric is one of my fave clubs in the WHOLE WORLD... behind space in ibiza... oh and footwork ;) haha

That vibrating dancefloor makes it so damn easy to geta groove on all night...

Roll on July..... The UK is getting a little reminder of what its missing...:p

And Skipps, when you goto the UK next, let us know ill hook you with some of my buds back over there... AND you should go up north man, backtobasics... FUUUUUUCCCCKKK, they lot party hard...... and 24 hour drinking..... wheeeeeeee

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
That is easily one of the best reviews I have read on this board. Well written man, I'm glad you enjoyed it so.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
EffinHard said:
As if my jealousy could not get more intense... i just downloaded steve bug's set from fabric -- this night.

mixingbowl.org - straight off the mixer board, decent quality
I think you have the wrong night, at the mixing bowl, it says Feb 18th, this was May 13th...

MKMIRAGE

TRIBE Member
I know what you mean. I lived in London for 18 months an loved every minute of it. I will be back there again one day.

As for the sites, this one is a good one but mainly to get yourself sorted and find out what is what. It's run by Aussies (they definately know what is what) and once you make it over to London look oout for a hard copy on the streets every monday.

www.tntmagazine.com

This one is good in terms of listings for smaller 4/4 events.

www.sorted.org/london/

PS. Make sure you hit the Church on Sunday.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories