• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Please send this to every DJ you know

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I fully agree that mixing in key sounds great and certain tracks play off eachother very well, but you'd have to plan out your set every time you play out? that would lose the sponteneity (sp) of the mix, which can cause more problems than playing in key.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
if you're mixing a track that has a strong melodic element or big bassline, you just have to mix it in when the previous track is fading into its queue tail, otherwise you may have a key collision and a very bad sound.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
So many DJs that mix in key spend too much time worrying about finding a track to go with the last one and ignore everything else.

I started keying my tracks again a few months ago but I find I play way better when I ignore it.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I'll admit, you can do some pretty mad mixes with software like Soundforge and a CDJ - basically preset all your tracks for a mix in key. A friend tried this for a demo CD and it sounded incredible, cause you can mix tracks very fast without it sounding too abrupt.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RELEASE RECORDS

TRIBE Promoter
about a year i learned to mix in key & i think its great...but its not the most important aspect of djing...it just helps.

but saying that, by mixing in key, i always know my mixes will sound good together & it does make a difference in a club when the mix is in harmony...& it avoids what DaPhatConductor is talking about.

jerome @ release

www.releaserecords.com

Lucie Tic

TRIBE Member
i think mixing in key is extrememly important...i think anyone who was trained on an instrument before dj'ing would agree....(i've been playin piano all my life). there is definately something to be said about a solid mix that is perfectly on key and beat thus creating a whole different sound...another track.......
you can't get too wrapped up in key mixing though....like said spontanaity is best.
either way key is something more dj's should learn/consider.

Lucie Tic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by coleridge

I started keying my tracks again a few months ago but I find I play way better when I ignore it.

i find i can't ignore it though....mind you i dont like planning out sets so i will come across off key mixes........... and thats ok i just consider those to be worse than trainwrecks.

zoo

TRIBE Member
the more you learn about musical theory and harmony, the more you realize how little everyone else knows ;)

i recommend any djs / producers out there try their hand at playing instruments / taking music theory classes

there's alot to learn :)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
And for the record for those who don't know. Drums are also set to a key. I used to play and write score for classical music and timpanis, Snare Drums, Toms, have to all be tuned.

So drums if they seem out in a mix often have to do with them being out of key.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Key mixing isn't entirely about planning out fancypants mixes, and you don't have to lose your spontaneity when taking it into consideration, just be aware of when not to mix and you'll be fine.

There IS a way for you to make any transition sound good if you're sick enough. Sometimes you need to take your ego out of the way to figure it out though. They can't all be drawn out powermixes with lots of cuts and well timed progressions and shit.

Just be aware of key mixing, and what can cause dischord, and keep practising.

Cheers

Last edited:

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
If you actually listen to the mix and not just the beat then you should be able to hear if the two sound go together. Now there are some ppl who are really tone deaf. Yes many of them are djs(joke). I think the problem is that most ppl/djs don't actually hear what they are spinning. Its what we used to call surface area music. This also work for a crowd to. No matter what you do to music most ppl will only hear the superficial elements such as drums or simple hooks. Combine that with most djs that never took the time to refine their skills and are not fluid enough to not have to think about the simplist elements like beat mixing and levels then I think this is only part of the problem in a much larger picture.

LaFrezney

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~decepticon~
who the fuck cares:D

maybe it matters in trance... i dunno

I must admit (though I'm not a huge fan anymore) trance is pretty tricky to spin perfectly....so is progressive.... and yeah! it has everything to do with the keys... but music with strings like trance and progressive are hard to secretly readjust after it's already in the mix....where as techno.... and less stringy music you have a little lee-way to do last second corrections.... adjustments.... and you can hear when the tracks don't go together, easier than if it was techno...or something more beat driven ...then string driven...

....and on about how you lose momentum while looking for another track to go perfectly with the one your playing..... sounds like the most boring wedding dj in the world....

As Donald Glaude once told me... "it's not what you have in your box that counts....it's how you rock the people with what you got in your box...."

My old dj partner used to say " you can play anything you want , you just have to sell it to them"

So in someway...that means it doesn't matter what you drop as long as it flows, it makes sense, you get where you trying to go...

EVERY DJ NOWADAYS SHOULD SPIN THREE DECKS ( PERIOD)

.... I used to spin ( when I was starting out in 94') one record and have the next ready to mix in... very simple... when a track wasn't doing what I expected....then I would think too myself... "ok next track I am going to go somewhere else with this"

PLUS+.... back then, every weekend there was a twist given to every older style and a new style was formed every weekend... one weekend it was no longer trance .... it was now uplifting trance.... and then progressive-acid-tribal-tech and so on and so on....

So now when i drop a track... mix it with a break.... sounds wicked.... but if you take the break away your left with a boring track..... vise-vera.... your left with a boring break.... that's where the third deck comes in... to take you above and beyond what you just created.... the days of being locked in the mix are gone....if I'm drop something...crowds not feeling it.... riiiipppp....gone.... next track lined up on the third deck.... no more waiting for that track to end and try something different,fuck that....if the crowd don't like, don't play.... if you don't know how to blend the beats to perfection....go back to your bedroom and try again... half the fun djing live is covering up and taking chances...

Nowadays if some asks me ....what kind of music do you spin?.... there is only one answer ..."good music"... and I mix everything in one set.... house to breaks to tech maybe a tracey build up and if was possible I would drop the sickest drum+bass/jungle set to end it all off.... just like the my inspiration , my god.... the best dj in the world....

JACK DE MARSEILLE
....check him out....

http://w4-web160.nordnet.fr/

LaFrez

The Operator

TRIBE Member
Well... regardless of the benefits of key mixing, we now have new toys like the Numark TTX that make key irrelevent with the whole Key Lock system.

It's not hard, otherwise, for any fool to know when they have a track that is not in the same key. If you can hear well enough to beatmatch you should be able to pick out dissonant keys, even if you haven't been trained as a musician beforehand.