• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Playoffs Thread NHL 06

kuba

TRIBE Member
For one, I'm super glad that the Can't-ucks are not in. A big fuck you to all todd bertuzzi lovers. You can eat it.

I'm not glad the leafs didn't make it - but I'm not surprised either.

On to what counts. So far the west has been decided, and the east is going down to the wire.

My picks, with absolutely no rationalization or hockey knowledge:

Detroit vs Edmonton: DET in 5
Dallas vs Colorado: DAL in 6
Calgary vs Anaheim: CAL in 6
Nashville vs San Jose: SJ in 7

The east? well we'll have to wait until Wednesday to see if the habs / lightning made it and if the flyers/dvils/rangers have sorted out who is first, but I see new jersey coming out of the east only because of Brodeur. Ottawa is going to put on another stink fest, and won't make it to the finals. Philly doens't have playoff-experienced goaltending. NYR I'm still not sold on, especially after watching Saturday's game vs Philly, and Carolina, well, carolina, who the hell expected this out of them?

your turn.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Everybody now!!!!

"LETS GO DEVILS"

Carolina scares me. If Gerber gets hot they have the most solid lineup in the East.

Ottawa will come and go as Hasek's groin goes. If he's healthy, they are gonna be trouble. You can't keep a team with that much firepower down long enough to take them out in a seven game series.

SJN

TRIBE Member
I'm waiting to see how things work out in the East before making any predictions there...

My preliminary West picks are:

Round 1
Detroit over Edmonton
Dallas over Colorado
Calgary over Anaheim
San Jose over Nashville

Round 2
Detroit over San Jose
Dallas over Calgary

Round 3
Dallas over Detroit

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
my picks:

Edmonton over Detroit in 7 (edmonton matches up really well with Det. and won the season series, the wings have been bounced from the playoffs early the last few seasons, and i know they have been playing well but i think their stats are heavily padded playing in the central division.)

Colorado over Dallas in 6 (i am not sold on dallas this year and theodore could be a big difference maker in this series. the avalanche are a better team than their record indicates and you know sakic and blake are going to step up.)

Calgary over Anaheim in 7 (calgary is going to go far in the playoffs only on the strength of kiprusoff's game, but they can't win away from the saddledome and especially against decent teams. if they can find some scoring other than iggy and phaneuf they'll do fine, but i really don't think they are a good hockey team and they lack the depth they had during their last playoff run.)

San Jose over Nashville in 5 (without Vokoun the preds are going to have a devil of a time trying to stop thornton and cheechoo. though they play a defensive style, they are prone to taking bad penalties and the sharks power play will be the difference maker in this series.)

i'll change my predictions if the seeding is different...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SJN

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
Colorado over Dallas in 6 (i am not sold on dallas this year and theodore could be a big difference maker in this series. the avalanche are a better team than their record indicates and you know sakic and blake are going to step up.)
I really like Dallas' chances this year. No apparent weaknesses on that team at all, and they've been rotating resting players the last few games to get ready for the playoffs.

If Turco plays well, they're my pick for the Cup.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
The SJ - Nas is going to come down to which team executes on the powerplay. As Maud'ib said, Cheechoo and Thornton are going to be tough to stop especially if you are in the box the whole game. Toskala is tough to score on especially at even strength. While Chris Mason is no slouch, he's definately not Toskala's equal.

Nashville's balanced attack might be trouble for San Jose's defence if the game goes 6 or 7 games.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
we just did a pool in the office, ten participants, pick one team, $100 entry.

we drew out of a hat to determine the picking order.

i got number two.

number one pick - dallas

i picked detroit. (i would have picked them with the number one pick as well).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

patri©k

TRIBE Member
EAST

OTT vs. TB - OTT in 7
CAR vs. MTL - CAR in 5
NJ vs. NYR - NJ in 7
BUF vs. PHI - BUF in 6

WEST

DET vs. EDM - DET in 5
DAL vs. COL - DAL in 6
CGY vs. ANA - CGY in 5
NAS vs. SJ - SJ in 5

kuba

TRIBE Member
my east predictions:

tampa to win in a shocker (mostly saying that because I hate ottawa, but if I was ottawa, I wouldn't want to face the former world champs, who almost didn't make it, but who DO know what it takes to win a cup, unlike the sens, (and leafs)

carolina will take six games before they put away le habs

jersey will take seven - i agree with patrick - brodeur will be the deciding factor - jagr will dissappear

philly will take out buffallo- althouth phil's goaltending situation is up in the air. esche vs tapakanananakekekaiakakiiii, i still think that miller won't have what it takes in the playoffs.

when do the games start? our pool is on friday nighta t 7pm if anyone is interested - top 10 or 12, haven't decided yet - but goals=1 assists=1 and that's about it. $10 to enter, plus $2 for poolexpert.com tracking

PM me if you wanna join the pool.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
EAST

OTT vs. TB - TB in 7
CAR vs. MTL - CAR in 4
NJ vs. NYR - NYR in 6
BUF vs. PHI - BUF in 7

WEST

DET vs. EDM - DET in 4
DAL vs. COL - DAL in 5
CGY vs. ANA - CGY in 7
NAS vs. SJ - SJ in 6

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
EAST

OTT vs. TB - OTT in 5
CAR vs. MTL - CAR in 4
NJ vs. NYR - NJ in 5
BUF vs. PHI - PHI in 6

WEST

DET vs. EDM - DET in 4
DAL vs. COL - DAL in 7
CGY vs. ANA - CGY in 5
NAS vs. SJ - Coin flip says NAS in 7

kuba

TRIBE Member
Ok so the seeds get re-seeded, right?

Example, if edmonton wins the first round, and dallas wins, then edm vs dallas, correct?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Yes, it's not brackets. The highest seed remaining would play the lowest seed remaining, second highest seed remaining would play the second lowest seed remaining, etc.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
EAST

OTT vs. TB = TB 6
CAR vs. MTL = CAR 5
NJ vs. NYR = NJ 7
BUF vs. PHI = PHI 5

WEST

DET vs. EDM = EDM 7
DAL vs. COL = DAL 4
CGY vs. ANA = ANA 4
NAS vs. SJ = SJ 7

Preroller

TRIBE Member
WEST

DET over EDM 5 games
COL over DAL 7 games
CGY over ANA 5 games
SJ over NSH 5 games

EAST

OTT over TB 6 games
MTL over CAR 7 games
NJ over NYR 6 games
BUF over PHI 7 games

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
West Final
Dallas over Detroit

East Final
Ottawa over Carolina

Cup Finals
Ottawa over Dallas

Highly unlikely, but this is what I'm shooting for.

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
TECHno addict said:
EAST

OTT vs. TB - TB in 7
CAR vs. MTL - CAR in 5
NJ vs. NYR - NYR in 7
BUF vs. PHI - BUF in 6

WEST

DET vs. EDM - DET in 4
DAL vs. COL - DAL in 5
CGY vs. ANA - ANA in 7
NAS vs. SJ - SJ in 6
check the edit.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Never has the playoff race been so wide open (imo), and I'm not even gonna try to predict a single series. Sure, I'll be playing favorites based on what players I have in the playoff pool, but otherwise, I'm simply lookin' forward to fast-paced, exciting games.

Let the race for Lord Stanley's mug begin...

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
BAHAHHAHAHAH @ crazedcanuck

i watched the third and overtime periods of the calgary game last night, it was a fuckin' amazing game! those 2 teams skate so fast, it's like watching a leafs game in fast forward

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories