• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Playing mp3's in 6.1?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Maybe I'm using the wrong software (winamp) but all I can get is sound out of the left, right and centre speakers. None of the rear speakers are playing at all. Does anyone know of a plug in or better software that can utilize all the speakers instead of the usual ones?

Thanks.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

labRat

TRIBE Member
your soundcard software should be able to do this as well ... it'll give you a virtual surround option. not true surround as it's still just a stereo source.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I mucked around with that forever and couldn't figure it out. All the speaker tests proved they were properly working etc but for some reason I couldn't get the mp3's to play in the same format. But there's plug ins out there for winamp and foobar too. Not really true 6.1 but close enough.

deep

TRIBE Member
I wish all music was in 5.1 + surround.

see:

NIN - The Downward Spiral
Underworld - Everything Everything
Tipper - Surrounded

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

randyval

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
I mucked around with that forever and couldn't figure it out. All the speaker tests proved they were properly working etc but for some reason I couldn't get the mp3's to play in the same format. But there's plug ins out there for winamp and foobar too. Not really true 6.1 but close enough.
what sound card are you using?
i have a sound blaster audigy 24bit, and i had the same problem with winamp.
i fixed it by opening the creative control pannel (EAX console) then clicked the cms3d tab and checked the box that says 'enable cmss 3d'

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Hey that's a better solution. I did the same and it works fine. I wasn't so fond of that plug in in the end, it would play at unreliable levels (low, then jump in volume if you advanced the song) and the volume would go down again when the next song started. Also, I wasn't able to use the gapless output at the same time, which is kind of balls.

But your solution works, so thanks!