1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

PlayBook - The Blackberry Tablet

Discussion in 'Technology' started by slice, Sep 27, 2010.

1. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Announced today at the Blackberry Devcon.

RIM introduces PlayBook -- the BlackBerry tablet -- Engadget

[​IMG]

7-inch LCD, 1024 x 600, WSVGA, capacitive touch screen with full multi-touch and gesture support
    BlackBerry Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
    1 GHz dual-core processor
    1 GB RAM
    Dual HD cameras (3 MP front facing, 5 MP rear facing), supports 1080p HD video recording
    Video playback: 1080p HD Video, H.264, MPEG, DivX, WMV
    Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    HDMI video output
    Wi-Fi - 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    Connectors: microHDMI, microUSB, charging contacts
    Open, flexible application platform with support for WebKit/HTML-5, Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Adobe Mobile AIR, Adobe Reader, POSIX, OpenGL, Java
    Ultra thin and portable:
    Measures 5.1"x7.6"x0.4" (130mm x 193mm x 10mm)
    Weighs less than a pound (approximately 0.9 lb or 400g)
    RIM intends to also offer 3G and 4G models in the future.

2. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Oh yes, it will be mine.

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

yeah easily the most enticing out of all tablets i have seen to date.

[jai]

4. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

No word on cost yet?

5. slice

slice TRIBE Member

Lazaridis mentioned during his intro that it would priced about the same as the iPad.

I'm an apple guy (with a blackberry), and this shit is badass. I applaud RIM for not doing this half assed and just porting OS6 on it. They built the OS from the ground up specifically for the tablet.

Really looking forward to this device.

6. glych t.anomaly

599.00 from a BB enthusiast that i know.

[jai]

7. cabbagetowngirl

cabbagetowngirl TRIBE Member

I'm with you on that... WANT!

8. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

def looking specs wise to be def what i would want. aside form the screen size maybe being a little small, but it would be more portable.

[jai]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

shouldn't Display, Storage and Wireless for iPad be highlighted blue. But then there are winners for the last 3 categories even though it's TBD for the Playbook. Titfish does not approve of this chart

10. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Once again, technology proves that competition is a good thing! Keep pushing that technological envelope!

11. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

more stat comparisons.

[jai]

12. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

GPS would have been nice.

Jay

13. glych t.anomaly

if you already have GPS on your handheld device, then its not really necessary unless you are Foursquaring, twitterlogging, bookfaceplacing yourself all over the map.

and from the functionality im hearing it has with blackberries, it might be able to draw that data from the device itself.

still to little know about the end user experience to be sure though.

i need to bug my friends at RIM for more deets.

[jai]

14. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

The press release pinky swears its in the service release

15. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Might be a game changer.

16. glych t.anomaly

[​IMG]

You already know most of the spec sheet delicacies that RIM has in store for its PlayBook, but here are a couple more details to complete the picture. The PlayBook will indeed match the iPad in having 16GB, 32GB and 64GB variants available, and will also come equipped with a pretty huge 5,300mAh battery.

That'd be a generously proportioned cell for a full-sized laptop, we imagine it'll turn the PlayBook into quite the endurance champ. Beside those tidbits, there's another video appearance by the tablet that we weren't allowed to touch just after the break. You know you wanna see it.

[YOUTUBE]tiwiQ6r9jJo[/YOUTUBE]

very nice.

[jai]

17. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

This looks like a solid machine.
    IMO the only thing that will hinder their sales is Apples App store and jailbreaking. We all know it.

18. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

7 inches is too small. 16:9 is horrible for anything but watching movies. I'm not buying a tablet to watch movies. I'm buying it to read.

19. glych t.anomaly

i dont know, i think i could get used to a 7 inch tablet, especially with the specs its boasting and the overall functionality and ability.

and for the people that want this device, i think they are buying it more for what it can do out of the box, and starting off with an app store that has 10k apps and is starting to pick up some speed, isnt horrible.

if it was the PalmPad, with 3k apps, i would be more worried ;)

and i think reading on it wouldnt be bad at all, but cant say for sure till im holding one in my hands.

[jai]

20. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Not a fan of 7" I think it's too small. Especially since i'd be watching a lot of HD on it.

Will wait and see.

21. glych t.anomaly

yeah see i wont even bring myself to watch ANYTHING on my phone or macbook unless i have no other choice, especially HD.

id rather be patient and watch it on my TV.

as for non HD viewing, 7-9 inches is all a matter of preference <insert thats what she said comment right here>

[jai]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  22. glych t.anomaly

It looks like the tech game is starting to turn into a bit of a tech soap opera thanks to El Jobso. Following up yesterday's comments by Steve Jobs dissing 7" tablets, Research In Motion's Co-CEO Jim Balsillie has fired back.

Here's the official word from Jim Balsillie:

Nicely said Jim. I like that RIM isn't taking any of this crap sitting down and is firing back. Anybody want a used iPad? I don't think I want mine anymore... I can't wait for RIM to release the BlackBerry PlayBook!

hahahahaha

[jai]

23. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Meh, I'm not picky. If I'm watching mobile video, its more about convenience on the go when I'm out, than quality like HD. Kinda defeats the purpose. Sure, I can watch better quality on my HDTV, but I can't carry it around. Mobile devices like phones or tablet's are about mobility. Unfortunately, and Apple admits this, there's a portion of consumers that don't get this, and end up using their mobile device at home. Besides, watching video on a 7" screen is better than watching most standard reso channels on an HDTV.

24. glych t.anomaly

[YOUTUBE]s72rGDUn2uo[/YOUTUBE]

def a superior browsing experience on the Playbook, and while the hardware is the difference to a large degree, that actual browser with flash functionality seems to process and render alot better as well.

worth the watch if you are considering getting one.

[jai]

25. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I could not imagine watching The Wire on a bb playbook. No way, too small. The ipad is almost too small but still watchable. This small device seems laughable for video.

I'm sure it'll do great things but for me the time-to-market was key. When I wanted a tablet, there was only one around: ipad. So I got it and now by the time this comes out, you better believe ipad 2.0 will be out and it will incorporate a lot of the things the bb is advertising now, whereas it's not out for a few months still.

+1 for ipad for me.