• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Plastikman - Closer/Consumed

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Not much to say really, but of all of hawtins releases, these are the two I keep comming back to and listening to over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I agree!

They're the two that are closest to my heart - not all that much exposure to his other stuff to be honest!

seeker

TRIBE Member
[tribe plastikman old schoolers] -> "sheet one is the only important album"
seeker -> i prefer musik

like what you like, listen to what you like, don't pay attention to me or anyone else.

ktown

TRIBE Member
i liked them all but closer (maybe i should give it another listen)

recycled plastik is a goody

UR

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
[tribe plastikman old schoolers] -> "sheet one is the only important album"
seeker -> i prefer musik

like what you like, listen to what you like, don't pay attention to me or anyone else.

What he said.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
and why are they jokes?
if you would like to read further comments of mine regarding these two albums or Richie post 2000 plastikman I'm sure you could search this board and find a myriad of comments I've made.

In short I will go over both albums at once:
derivative, repetitive, stale, unmoving, too subtle, undynamic in both composition and layout of an album or a song, blaise to the max, lazy. In the context of the music that was being made at the time, these albums represent the lower grade of what was being made that year. By comparison, Richie's previous output was considered top of the genre.

Of course newcomers to this genre of music may not see the contextual or industry inside view of Richie's work and this lack of bias and popularity of Richie at the time can help dispel this opinion. There's is a disparaging seperation in the opinion of Richie's latter works between the people who discovered Hawtin post Musik, and those who were listening to him in the early 90s and beyond.

My personal Hawtin playlist:

UP! - Spiritual High / Nightflight [Probe 1992]
F.U.S.E - Dimension Intrusion [Plus 8 1993]
Plastikman - Sheet One [Plus 8 1993]

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Interesting, however in 1992 - I was 10 years old and had no idea this type of music even existed, and didnt start really enjoying Hawtin/Plastikman until about 05 - had given him a chance a few times before but never really 'got it'. But, now my tastes in music has shifted, I 'get it', and rather enjoy it quite a bit now. That being said, my knowledge of electronic music from the early 90s (hell, even late 90s) is pretty limited.

However, I am curious - what is some of the better minimal stuff that was being released in the early 90s? If closer/consumed is considered low-grade in comparison - I'd love to hear what was comming out better in that time period (note: honest interest, dont mean to be comming off as sarcastic if I am)

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
kaniz...my favs, the stuff that got me into buying records etc. was the early Todd Sines/DBX and Rob Hood stuff. Followed shortly by the early Hawtin like Todd has mentioned.

The first half of the Plus 8 catalog is gold almost in it's entirety. Accelerate, Minimal Nation, Early Peacefrog, Some of the mid west acid...notably the "Dad Acid" releases...by dad acid I'm talking the slower less party oriented acid tracks on communique, head in the clouds, all ears (Timeblind!), country western etc. Drop bass network had some killer minimal-esque acid on their label (some fucking hardcore as well if you're into it). Hyperactive and the Contact records crew were a bit too loopy maybe but there were some gems (chicago chicago chicago). Here in the steel city Ollie used to run Steel City records with bad ass tracks like Tweak Tweak Tweak by Jason Justin AKA Symplx....deadly.

More Detroit stuff to add to above would be Juan's "Starlight" that track melts wild beasts. Actually...Any of Juan's old Infiniti stuff is good to check out and some of his model 500.

mmm...old Ferox was minimal funk goodness. Primitive/chris duckenfield likewise at times.

give me some time and I could always find more for you.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
oddmyth said:
if you would like to read further comments of mine regarding these two albums or Richie post 2000 plastikman I'm sure you could search this board and find a myriad of comments I've made.
Clearly the world needs more Smiths! :cool:

,g

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Kaniz,

I realize you were a youngin, that's why the last paragraph was written. If you want to check out some of the other music that was being made around that time:

1. http://www.circonium.de/ showcases two parts of the German scene at that time - The Basic Channel / Chain Reaction camp and Wolfgang Voigts pursuits with his many many labels. When "Consumed" came out it was dubbed as RH's attempt at emulating the Basic Channel sound (some journalists called it "Plastic Channel"). If you listen to the sound of the Chain Reaction releases at the time (Erosion, Porter Ricks, Hallucinator) as well as some of Wolfy's output (I would say Burger/Ink - Las Vegas is the most similar, however Wolfy was a 303 junky like RH).

For Consumed its also important to remember that when it came out, the face of techno - minimal and beyond was changing rapidly. Prime was quickly moving all of its labels to the foreround of techno, and the west coast glitch scene was on the verge of exploding. This left very little room for a slow moving, mood album from someone who was supposed to be on top of the future of techno.

I'll do Closer another time ..

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
oddmyth said:
Kaniz,

..and the west coast glitch scene was on the verge of exploding.
..and then quickly fading into the woodwork. We (largely) lost Twerk to audible oddities mastering, and Kit Clayton to Jitter. Seth/Sutekh is still plugging away.. I wish he was able to push context harder, it has been a great label over the years despite the sporadic output..

,g

why not

TRIBE Member
musik is still my favourite, even though i lost my copy sometime in the 90s.

i actually kind of like closer and consumed - they may be a bit boring, but i like their moodyness. there may have been other people working with those sounds and ideas at that time, but to my ears richie infused a bit of soul into it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders